back to article After hack nightmare, Sony bars lawsuits with new TOS

After getting the pants sued off it for security breaches that exposed personal information connected to more than 100 million online accounts, Sony is requiring subscribers to waive their right to wage class-action lawsuits for almost any reason. Sony dropped the bombshell in an updated terms of service and user agreement (PDF …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Rune Moberg
    FAIL

Spammers from h---

April 29th 2010, some ruddy b---- named Cecil Lee thought it would be funny to use my e-mail address to sign up for the PlayStation Network.

And after a while, after having received at least a dozen e-mails from this network, I must say I am impressed.

There is no "unsubscribe" link handy. It seems I must sign in using the account created.

Ah, but isn't there a "forgot password" function? Yes, press this and you are met with "The server is currently down for maintenance".

On the plus side, I am always up to date with all news concerning the Playstation Network, change of policies and whatnot. Too bad I do not own any Sony devices, except for a small handheld video camera. Maybe it will play the latest PS3 games?

2. Metal Marv
    Unhappy

So sick of all this crap

I dunno about the rest of you but I'm just sick of it all now. I hardly play any games on the damn thing anymore, I don't want an xbox either. Think I am just gonna give up on games full stop and stick to activities that don't require me to sign away my life. wonder if I can get a Blu ray player that is not bogged down with legal crap or should I get my video recorder back out of the loft....

3. nascentt

"Only applies to America"

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/875898-sony-denies-threatening-psn-ban-no-tos-change-planned-for-europe

"What it failed to say though is that the changes in the terms of service (TOS) only applies to America and even then nobody's getting banned from PlayStation Network if they choose to opt out. "

4. Tree & Tree = Dirty Tree
    Facepalm

REAL names, adresses etc.?

Who is stupid enough to buy a game console and add his real personal data? What for?

I have two aliases I use for all purposes where my real personal data is irrelevant, say where no transfer of money or rights occurs.

And that is 99% of all cases!

As you cannot trust in most security implementations of online services "out there" that is the easiest and best possible damage control I can think of.

Go hack my account. That one? Not my account! :-P

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just Sony messing with the law

Have a look at this extract from the NOD32 license:

"THIS IS NOT A PURCHASE CONTRACT BUT AN AGREEMENT ON THE RIGHTS OF THE END USER. The Provider remains the owner of the copy of the Software and of the physical medium, if any, on which the Software is supplied in commercial packaging as well as of all copies of the Software to which the End User is entitled under this Agreement."

If this is not a purchase contract, they remain the owner of the physical medium, and I can only read it after I've opened the package, what did I actually buy?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like