back to article BT trying for fibre 'monopoly', claims TalkTalk chief

TalkTalk's commercial boss David Goldie has claimed that BT is trying to regain "the monopoly position that it lost many years ago" courtesy of its provision of fibre optic broadband. In an interview with the Observer, Goldie complained that BT was yet to reveal its duct and telegraph pole interim pricing structure for other …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Indeed

That supposedly "Honest Broadband from Yorkshire" is anything but. Well, I'll give them "Broadband"... One from three isnt terrible I suppose.

Indeed Neil,

TalkTalk are advertising basic broadband for £3.25 a month.

How the fuck can they manage that?

I suggest they get out there and pull some fucking cable.

Not that I think for 1 minute, Ofcom shouldn't grow a pair and bust BT in the chops.

Lithuania 33Mbps

S. Korea 29Mbps

Sweden 25Mbps

Latvia 25Mbps

Romania 24Mbps

Netherlands 23Mbps

Bulgaria 20Mbps

Switzerland 19Mbps

Taiwan 17Mbps

Japan 17Mbps

UK 10Mbps

Global Average 9Mbps

Source: http://www.netindex.com/

Silver badge

"TalkTalk are advertising basic broadband for £3.25 a month.

"How the f*** can they manage that?"

By not actually providing anything in return for the £3.25 per month. In any case I think you have to buy other services from them to get that deal.

Anonymous Coward

Talktalk

Do fibre, for existing customers, where available - ie everywhere BT Infinty is. End of.

How do I know? 'Cos I'm on it now :)

/smug look/

Happy

fibre ? good idea

The only problem I see with UK providers rolling out fibre is their insistance on overselling their capacity so much that they have to introduce "stupid levels" of fair use policies. I have an old laptop I use for downloads on my nice norwegian FTTP service (entry level on our TV/phone/web package is 40Mb each way and NOT "up to 40Mb" true 40Mb) and last time I rebooted the laptop (after maybe 15 days constant running) it was reading 95GB downloaded and 187GB uploaded, this is NOT uncommon and never hear a peep from the provider.

Thumb Down

Ballcocks

No-one is stopping talktalk getting a licence and digging up streets and pulling fibre.

Get on with, don't try and freeload on other people's ducts and then call them names

FAIL

digging up the street

You'll just have one electrictiy and gas feed to your house. Why should it be any different for phone lines or fibre?

Digging up the street to pull fibre is cheap. The expensive thing is getting wayleaves from all the landowners where you want to run cables. Their permission is needed to allow packets to move across their land. BT's already got those rights. It has mostly inherited them from the time when the Post Office ran the nation's phone system. This means BT can fuck about and make life difficult for competitors unless Ofcom stop them.

Anonymous Coward

@Jim Morrow

'Digging up the street to pull fibre is cheap. The expensive thing is getting wayleaves from all the landowners where you want to run cables. Their permission is needed to allow packets to move across their land. BT's already got those rights. It has mostly inherited them from the time when the Post Office ran the nation's phone system. This means BT can fuck about and make life difficult for competitors unless Ofcom stop them.'

What a load of tosh ! Do you think the cablecos that eventually became Virgin had to deal with that? Laws were changed specifically to allow cheap and easy roll out (so that there was a competitor to BT). Turned out not quite as cheap as Maggie expected hence VM's debt mountain. Anyway the bitching is about access to existing ducting/poles, less need for digging. You simply (simple ?) blow fibre along existing ducts, then install street cabs/dslams, then install kit at the exchange. I suspect TalkTalk is doing just that, TalkTalking with no intention of investing.

More than happy for talktalk to prevent this monopoly...

Get laying cables boys.

I'll have the flying pigs ready.

Holmes

It's all due to a bad and old business design

When BT was privatised it was a stupid design, creating a private monopoly. BT has never played fair with anyone and constantly needs regulating to make it play at all. The only logical solution is and always has been to break up BT into an infrastructure company that puts wires and fibre in and a retail business that sells a service.

When the cable monopolies were created, the same mistake was made, now we have one company Virgin that has the same strangle hold that BT has. Again separate companies should have been created.

It is clearly commercial suicide for any company to try and cable up the UK. Which is why the tax payer paid for BT (then the GPO) to do it and why all the cable firms went bust. You can't blame TalkTalk for not doing this.

Personally I'd separate Virgin and BT into infrastructure companies forbidden from selling their service directly, and retail operations. Then TalkTalk and anyone else can buy the last mile directly from either infrastructure company that want and there is no longer a conflict from BT or Virgin.

Obviously this isn't going to happen and BT and Virgin will continue to exercise their monopolies and exclude competition. Ofcom are essentially powerless to do anything about this - as the many stories on this and other sites demonstrate.....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018