back to article Hey dumbo, Facebook isn't sharing telephone numbers

Facebook has been forced to stamp out a silly rumour doing the rounds on, well, Facebook, that wrongly suggests the company will share any user's telephone list with their contacts on the social network. Wrong, wrong, wrong, said the Mark Zuckerberg-run firm. "Rumors claiming that your phone contacts are visible to everyone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Zack Mollusc
    WTF?

Spreading details

Er, am I missing something here? If I synch my phone to FB, every idiot i am friends with gets my contact list added into their contact list, then if one of those idiots synchs his phone with FB, all his contacts (now including all mine ) get sent to all his friends?

After a few iterations, won't everyone on FB have everyone's contact details?

2. theloon
    FAIL

It's just time to get off FB

No point in bitching about it, FB is just gonna continue to steal your data from your mobile. You know it's gonna happen, so remove FB from your mobile.

FB is NOT an essential part of life. It's not a doctor, a teacher, a parent, food, water or sex.

It's just a load of social BS which for some reason we think is cool and sooooo necessary.

I had it, I fell for it and it's time wasting nonsense, but now it's time to get a life again and just switch it off.

3. Fuzz

How is this different?

Not sure how this is different to my friends syncing there phones with any other online service. I have my contacts synced to my gmail account. My Windows phone also pulls in my friends from facebook and if they have shared their numbers with me I also see those.

A lot of my friends will be doing similar things, so my number exists on Google's servers, Microsoft's servers, facebook's servers, Apple's servers and any other sync system my friends maybe hooked up to. I haven't given my numbers to any of these companies but they have the numbers anyway.

Personally I don't worry about it, at the end of the day the worst thing that can happen is I need to get myself a new number. An inconvenience but not the end of the world.

1. Test Man
      WTF?

This isn't related to syncing

This is regarding functions that explicity state one thing but actually does another. Nothing to do with syncing.

4. Venom

Something dodgy going on here

I have read the article above and while Facebook may not be sharing the numbers from my Facebook contacts with anyone else they are still taking numbers from peoples phones either by a Facebook app on the phone or by other means. Looking at what i have seen with my own eyes, something dodgy is going on.

I understand that people fill in the info in their Facebook profile and if they allow their friends to see this it will show up in their friends contact list, I am not disputing that. What i saw in addition to thses numbers were numbers taken off my phone, numbers like 'Home', 'Dentist' and 'Doctors', numbers that i wouldn't of put on Facebook (Because there is no need to) and had obviously come off my phone. I was at no time made aware of this or asked for permission to do this from Facebook or any app. Then in addition to the two methods of numbers appearing in my contacts mentioned above, I also had loads of numbers from people i did not know who seemed to be friends of friends, some of which were children,

In my phones Facebook app there are three options in the settings, i take 'Contacts' in this context to mean contacts on my phone.

1 - Sync All (Sync data about all friends to contacts)

2 - Sync with existing contacts (Sync data only about friends already in contacts)

3 - Remove Facebook Data (Remove Facebook data from contacts. Use info about friends only in Facebook).

I have option 2 selected and i take this to mean that my phone can get data from Facebook to add further Facebook related data to contacts who are already on my phone and that is how it seems to have been working until i discovered phone data on Facebook, now i'm not so sure. Nowhere does it explain in which direction the data is syncing and nowhere have i seen anything to suggest that data will be taken from your phone and put into Facebook.

What concerns me more are the numbers that appeared in my Facebook contacts from people i don't know, some of which were children.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like