back to article Sony distribution centre engulfed by fire

Sony Corp's compact discs and DVDs warehouse in Enfield, north London, was on fire throughout the night. The Japanese electronics giant may have been caught up in the riots that sporadically swept across London on a third consecutive night of trouble in the capital. However, the firm is yet to determine the cause of the blaze …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Flaws

I agree with much of your sentiment here, but there is a flaw; giving them an education does not automagically create them a suitable job at the end of it.

There *are* jobs available - but they're just not worth doing, especially when it's financially borderline compared to benefits. And with higher education comes higher expectations, so naturally street cleaning (and cleaning jobs in general) are 'beneath' them.

And further - as the current crop of grads are finding out - industry is playing it safe and lean; only experienced hands are wanted who can make a direct contribution to the business from day 1; grad or apprentice schemes are rarer than hens teeth.

I like your idea on changing the Human rights act though. Good spot.

There also needs to be some sort of disincentive to crime; sentences are too lenient and don't convey a sense of justice to the wrong parties. And often a 1st offence is a let off with a warning or a paultry, and un-enforced community service.

1. Paul_Murphy

Cheers

>I like your idea on changing the Human rights act though. Good spot.

No-one can cover it all - and since everything is connected there is no single answer, so where to start?

People are right when they comment about generations of people whose highest expectation is the dole - how do you get out from that? I don't know, maybe to give some extra benefits (not the dole!) to people who can prove they have certain skills? exams are not a test at the moment since the whole education system has been dumbed down,

In Starship Troopers Robert Heinlein had the notion of earning citizenship through various means, which then granted you certain rights (having babies was one) though are we as a society prepared for that sort of regime?

Maybe in an over populated world we can't afford not to? How long before we have life-crystals in our hands?

You are right about expectations - if you have a degree are you wanting to wipe old peoples bottoms for a career? of course not. I would argue that a good education is not just about qualifications and expectations, but about your outlook on life - would we be willing to go looting give the 'right' circumstances? and if not then why not? what makes one person sit at home and another take to the streets?

I would say education - others may say other things, who knows who is (more) right :-)

ttfn

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Megaphone

Scarcity value

Qualifications are valuable when they are scarce, specific skills can command a premium but guessing which skillset will be in demand in three years is hard, let alone 10 or 12. Education is basically a 'positional good'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positional_good

Something needs to happen longer term after the Outrage and Firm Action bit is done with and the tabloids have found something else. A society with less inequality is the answer by the look of it but how to get there?

http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/resource/the-spirit-level

Just some thoughts as I followed the trail of JD Sports hangars out from Birmingham city centre a few hours ago. All the size tags were M and S.

3. MarkieMark1
      Holmes

the failure of the police is a contributing factor

@Paul - Basically, as you say, driving young people into criminality is a myopic direction for society, that our Thatcherite/Blairite overlords encouraged for years, including such demagogic moves as right-to-own then limiting new housing stock => driving house prices up so property owners could consume more german cars; ignoring the relative poverty that they were driving the non-elect into;

However the rôle of the police is less than an innocent one, as they've consistently lobbied for an accretion of the kind of unjust procedural laws that bolster unjust substantive laws; while in some areas actual attitude – the kind of stuff that Joe Public notices, is Old Bill an arrogant bully? Is Plod going to try to lift a finger to catch the criminals? etc – has improved, there's definitely room for further improvement

In a sense riots are a kind of poetic justice, noticeably given their spontaneity, they are a sign of widespread resentment, even though the 'gottagetateevee' attitude looks kind of contemptible at an individual level, it's the collective level that teaches us some lessons.

1. Paul_Murphy

That is certainly one angle.

Another is the constant exporting of jobs to other countries, thus depriving our citizens the ability to get a job,

Another is the wasteful purchases by government, MoD etc. thus depriving other parts of society with needed capital.

Another is the short-term approach taken by the like of the banks and investment houses, who are all too keen on taking over a company and raping it's reputation, stock and assets for a quick profit.

Another is the approach that successive governments have taken to increase our 'security' by adopting ever more intrusive measures, assuming that people are guilty unless they are proven innocent.

Another is the overwhelming amount of American TV shows on our screens that are degrading our national identity and somehow giving people the impression that we should be just like the yanks.

(and don't get me started on 'reality TV')

Anyone else wanting to add anything?

This is fun - nice sunny, peaceful day at home and a multi-threaded debate.

ttfn

1. ian 22
          Facepalm

Yet another angle

Clearly we must give ourselves a collective caneing for this! The poor chavs must be shattered over all the destruction.

2. MarkieMark1

Human Rights Act

As you say, there are many factors leading to the very real grievances that are somewhat banally evidenced in the looting of consumer goods;

As I see it the trouble is that it's easier to say 'change the Human Rights Act' than to provide a working alternative; even though as all laws are, it's a lottery who gets sometimes laughably kid-glove treatment, the principle is to delimit rigour from oppression, we definitely need some kind of definition of oppression in our law;

bringing us neatly back to the question of education, possibly we should emphasize civics classes so people – from all sides – understand the importance of some classical values such as honesty, integrity, responsibility, firmness, mercy, etc

1. Paul_Murphy

Yep - good angle.

I guess that's another part of history - looking at the alternatives and why we have the benefits we do.

The NHS, benefits system and public education didn't come about by accident after all, even if current generations assume they have been around for ever, it wasn't that long ago that we in the UK had a totally different social order, and being unemployable meant a slow and hungry death unless people decided that you were a charitable case and took pity on you.

A return to Dickensian Britain? I don't think so - but people being aware of what came before can't hurt can it?

ttfn

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Awareness?

But that would involve REAL education! Not 'training people for jobs that aren't there'. Might even mean more would grow up with values that would make 'acquiring new consumer goods' seem less urgent. It would also mean they could turn their hand to whatever we HADN'T realised we would need in the future.

(Assuming HR departments became less addicted to thinking in stereotypes!)

1. vegister

so sad.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-08/09/indie-labels-warehouse

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sherlock?

"We cannot determine the cause of the fire or the extent of the damage yet because it's not possible to enter the building"

I've done it for them, without needing to enter the building, a quick nip to Sky/BBC makes it rather plainly clear that the place is pile of rubble, nothing survived...

3. breakfast Silver badge
    Thumb Down

That list of labels in full

So in addition to Sony the following labels who are less able to soak the damage also held stock there:

1234, 2020 Vision, Accidental, Ad Altiora, Adventures Close to home , Alberts , All City , Alt Delete, Ambush Reality, Angular, Ark, ATC, Atic, Atlantic Jaxx, Azuli, B Unique, Backyard, Bad Sneakers, Bandstock, Banquet, Beggars, Big Chill, Big Dada, Big Life / Nul / Sindy Stroker, Boombox, Border Community, Boysnoize, Brille, Bronzerat, Brownswood, Buzzin Fly, Can You Feel It, Catskills, ChannelFly, Chemikal Underground, City Rockers, Counter, D Cypher, Dance To The Radio, Deceptive, Def Jux, Dirtee Stank, Divine Comedy, Domino, Drag City, Drive Thru, Drowned in Sound, Duophonic, Eat Sleep / Sorepoint, Electric Toaster, Emfire, F. Comm, Fabric, Faith And Hope, Fantastic Plastic, Fargo, FatCat, Feraltone, Finders Keepers / Twisted Nerve, Fingerlickin', Flock, Free Range, From The Basement, Full Time Hobby, Goldsoul, Gronland, Groove Attack, Halftime, Hassle ,Heron. Hum&Haw, Independiente, Info UK, Join Us, Kartel, Kensaltown, Kitsune, Kompakt, Laughing Stock, Leftroom, Lex, Lo Max, Loose, Love Box, Lowlife, Lucky Number, Marquis Cha Cha, Memphis Industry, Merok, Metroline, Mute, Naïve, Nation, Navigator. New World, Ninja Tune, Nuclear Blast ,One Little Indian, Output / People in the Sky / Process, Pale Blue, Palm, Peacefrog, PIAS Recordings, PIP 555 Productions, Play To Work, Powerhouse (T2), Propaganda / Ho Hum, Raw Canvas, Red Grape, Red Telephone Box, Rekids, Renaissance, Respect Productions (PES digital), Reveal Records, SMG, Rock Action, Roots, Rough Trade, Rough Trade Comps, Rubyworks, Ruffa Lane, Search And Destroy, Secret Sundaze, Secretly Canadian / Jagjaguwar / Dead Oceans, Sell Yourself, Setanta, Shatterproof, Sideone Dummy, Slam Dunk, Smalltown, Soma, Something In Construction, Sonar Kollectiv, Soul Jazz, Southern Fried, Stranded Soldier, Subliminal, Sunday Best, TARGO, Taste, Ten Worlds, Thrill Jockey, Total Fitness, Touch And Go, Track And Field, TriTone, Trouble, Try Harder, Turk, Turnstile, Twenty 20, Underworld, Union Square, Urban Torque, Vagrant, Vice, Victory, Wagram , Wall Of Sound, Warp, Wi45 , Wonky Atlas, Word And Sound, Xtra Mile, You Are Here.

( from here: http://thefourohfive.com/news/article/pias-warehouse-destroyed-in-london-riots-pias-fundraiser-event-details )

4. Christian Berger

Let's do some translation

warehouse = Lager (in German)

fire = Feuer (in German)

Lagerfeuer=bonfire

Coincidence?

1. Scotty

Jobs?

Regardless that it was *Spit* Sonys depo, 750 people until last night worked there.

2. Paul_Murphy

hmm.. and 'bon' is french for 'good'

Have we thought this through enough? :-)

ttfn

5. Christopher 1
    Trollface

Nintendo Sony team-up confirmed by bashed bloke!

"Holding a bunch of Sony stuff, like Wii Consoles..." Wait, what...?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where do I click...?

to pledge my £10 for a cannister of tear-gas and a packet of cable ties to deal with the next time someone steps out of line.

The TV news is sadly taking part in the whole affair, and Blackberry etc should be shut down / archives made available as required.

That is all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Fire Protection

Can someone enlighten us with regards to what fire prevention systems would have been in place?

8. Alan Brown Silver badge

toxic smoke

I really wouldn't want to be downwind of that lot. Lots of cyanide compounds for starters.

It will be interesting to see how many people are at the core of organising things.

The cops have arrested 450+ people - along with everything in their pockets. I'm sure they have plenty of evidence that BBMs and other formats were being used to organise/direct the crowds.

1. Mr Larrington
      WTF?

Re: toxic smoke

The powers that be yesterday were advising people living to the south-east of the warehouse to stay inside and keep doors and windows closed. It's still chucking out enough smoke to be visible from over ten miles away, though the wind has changed direction.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hope this doesn't spark a riot

Hope the scum-bag rioters don't get too upset that they can't get their new PS3 games. They might riot!

1. MJI Silver badge

FPS Games for real

Perhaps if we can't have Resistance 3 we can pretend looters are Chimera.

Can I have a Bullseye and a Rossmore please?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks for that nfo breakfast

I work with many of those labels. Nuclear Blast, Vagrant, Vice, Victory, Fat Cat, Mute, Propaganda/Ho Hum, Secretly Canadian, Sideone Dummy, Touch and Go, and perhaps quite a few others.

11. Dean Hajas
    Mushroom

Slave 4 Truth

Since SONY has a reputation for taking "Music" and Intellectual Properties without prior written consent from it's original owner(s), Mr. Michael Dean Hajas has on all accounts warned Howard Stringer and Gary Wade Leak of the potential financial outcome that could arise. Britney Spears released "Slave For You" through Zomba / Robert John "Mutt" Lange, with Matt Haywood of HHO Publishing in 2001 without signing a publishing contract. After 89 million sales of Mr. Michael Dean Hajas creation, renumeration has not taken place from any of the continents that sold this illegally obtained "ART". Many attempts have been made to communicate with these "corporate thieves" to no avail, and it is with the great regret to see the facade of the "American Affiliated Business" community, along with the Library of Congress and it's people following a path of financial destruction that will take generations to overcome. During interview with Radio One of Detroit in May of 2008, I publicly proclaimed that United States of America was under financial attack(s) by China, to which the reply was one of rebuke. Now the financial Global Status Quo is in "dire" position, with the entire European Community at risk, with it's Western cohorts, leading the way. This synopsis will continue Globally until there is a 100 % written public apology by all those affiliated with the assumption of Mr. Michael Dean Hajas Intellectual Properties, accompanied by renumeration of 100 million dollars in GOLD bullion.

My greatest apology is for those who had nothing to do with this Intellectual Property theft, and the financial burden that has been place over you. If you are tired of the financial status and your current situation, it is recommended to demand accountability by SONY BMG/ ZOMBA / ROBERT JOHN "MUTT" LANGE / Britney Spears, Eric Lavine, Gary Wade Leak, Howard Stringer, Matt Haywood.

This Global Financial Crisis will continue to escalate until the United States of America offers up it's corporate accountability by full investigation to be made public by Congress and it's authorities.

Peace be with you all.......this winter of 2012, will be the crippler, Mark My Word!

Mr. Michael Dean Hajas

1. MJI Silver badge
      WTF?

This reads like a phishing email

I have no idea what he said!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Incalculable losses

"... "We cannot determine the cause of the fire or the extent of the damage yet because it's not possible to enter the building," the spokeswoman said. "

inb4 damages number equal to the GDP of several planet Earths.

13. David 45

No precautions?

Hmm. No sprinkler system? Did seem to go up with remarkable speed and ferocity.

14. Purlieu

Civil Unrest

This was not civil unrest.

It was smashing up and thieving.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like