back to article Apple Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Part Two

You find me in better spirits compared to my anxious state during last week’s experimentation with OS X Lion. A weekend of sanity makes quite a difference. That is, sanity achieved through the cathartic process of a clean instal. Apple Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Safari swipe Swipe your fingers sideways across your Magic Mouse or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. chadbag

copy/paste

Just a note. Copy/paste to copy files "windows" style has been on the Mac for a while. I use it once in a while on Snow Leopard. It is not new in Lion. Don't remember if it worked in Leopard (10.5)

2. uhuznaa

Some cheese with all that whine?

Switch off all the multitouch-gestures, install BetterTouchTool (free) and define your own as you like. Animations can be disabled from within the terminal (google for the right commands). iCal and AB can be re-themed (google for it) and apart from the looks iCal is lightyears ahead of the SL version. Terminal is *much* better, too (and it was good to begin with).

Come on, there are lots of positive changes and the few you may don't like are easily fixed. I assure you, use Lion for a month, go back to SL and it will feel incredible old and limited.

1. Wibble

ICal animations

Can you get rid of that horrible animation in iCal? Straight out of the mid nineties; just as corny then as it is today.

Thankfully someone's done a different skin so one can ditch that hideous faux leather rubbish.

Still can't view weeks straddling months, e.g. Last two and first two weeks of a month.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

AirDrop, eh?

It's like a proprietary Bluetooth file transfer. More Apple not invented here syndrome. But a bit faster I'll give you that.

But how's networking without Samba now? Is it any good in Lion? There should be no real need for AirDrop with a decent network stack, everyone connects to a router.

Not really seeing the advantages compared to Snow Leopard.

4. wiremoons

Finder Cut and Paste (now in Lion)

Lion copy = Cmd + C

Lion paste = Cmd + V

Lion move = Alt + Cmd + V

So, to cut and paste in Finder :

Cmd + C then in new location Alt + Cmd + V to paste (with move)

1. jubtastic1
      Stop

Don't do this at home kids

There's a reason hardly anyone knows about it, Apple has purposefully made this hard to do/find out about because sooner or later you will lose data moving files, eg Finder lock up mid move or a disk issue. Moves are not transactional, interruptions will result in data loss.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Fantastic...

After a weekend of using Lion I had to go back to work and (shudders) Windows XP!

I now hate my job even more!

1. Tchou

Would you

remember us where was Mac OS when XP came out?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

@Tchou

If it was OS X, Kernel Panicking, probably. The real work was being done on OS 9.

2. Richard 102

Hm

IIRC, XP came out in 2001, IIRC. OS X was still pretty advanced over Windows at the time. In 2003, when people were still arguing about what XP gave them over Win2K, I had to get a bearing replaced in a fan on my G4 iMac; apparently it was a Monday Morning fan. Since I work close to an Apple store, I brought it with me. I showed my coworkers who weren't too busy orking cows and Expose' alone was a jaw dropper. And when they found out my fan was replaced for free by Apple in about fifteen minutes while I grabbed lunch, something that just didn't happen with Dell and HP at the time, their minds started to change. In fact, my boss offered to let me store it in his office "to keep it safe" for the afternoon.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

No mention of....

Most NAS's are no longer accessible by Lion. They changed the security methods. Losing " save as" is the biggest mistake ever. The washed out icons are fantastic for those with impaired vision. ,,NOT.....Methinks they have hired too many ex-windows engineers or hired a mole to do the GUI. Is it an improvement on SL, under the hood perhaps, but for the poor sod stuck in front of it. NO just silly features that no one will really use.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Touch / Mobile

Since lots of people have been querying how all the new gestures etc seem more optimised for touch screens, I wonder how Lion compares against the latest Ubuntu and Gnome 3? Or are they too different?

8. Mark 65

Versions

Out of curiosity, just how much space will this take up? I know it's only saving deltas but it all adds up once it starts taking off in applications. Might be more useful is you had a way of tagging a version i.e. it auto-saves but you can create a meta tag so that when looking through the versions of a document you can easily pick out ones you saved from ones that went down automatically. Like a "working version before I tried rewriting a key part" type of tag that enables the version you're looking for to be found amongst a sea of edits. Functionality like this seems obvious to me.

9. DB2k

email

If you hit "see more from blah" you get to see your emails too.

I guess it assumes you know what you said.

Now why is shift 3 a # and not a £ which is now a alt 3?

10. Piloti
    Thumb Down

You did all of that.....

..... just to load a patch to the OS ?

Madness.

Last week I "upgraded" my Ubuntu machine to the latest 11.04 including Unity.

It suddenly dawned on me why your desk top looks so familiar : it is a Unity clone!

Oh, and my Unity / 11.04 upgrade was done in an hour and no extra effort on my part to make it work.

Really, if you are going to spend the amount of money Apple demand for Intel hardware and then have to commit to so much extra time to make the patches work, I would drop the lot in the bin, and upgrade to Ubuntu. OK, so no Thunderbolt port but at least I can shove on an extra "standard" monitor.

11. Nick Pettefar

Ugh!

I almost reverted back last night. Still a bit unsure.

I really have bad vibes about it, I don't like all the changes and am unsure about the enhancements. I am hoping I will get used to it.

I set the scrollbars to be permanently on and reversed the scroll direction to what I am used to.

Worse so far is Preview, which I used a lot. There is no Save or Save As any more. I HATE this!! I cannot take a photograph and crop it, save it as a different file, undo and then crop it in a different way and save that as a different file and still leave the original untouched. For example, I was in the toy machine in Trier at the weekend and took pictures of toy soldiers in a glass case. I wanted to make different pictures of some individual soldiers by cropping from group photographs but it is so much work and keeps going wrong compared to the old Preview program. Unfortunately you can't install the old one in Lion; I will try and find a suitable replacement that still has Save and Save As functions. Also it has managed to destroy several files - the original can't be opened, I get some weird error when trying to browse versions and another photograph file is zero length. A good job I only copy from my camera card!

The permissions of files seems to have become confused and it asks me to verify everything!

Finder declares that various folders are Share Folders and takes away the sorting options.

There is no Spaces number displayed in the top bar any more so I don't know which space I am on.

Apple Mail is annoying, I preferred the previous one.

Overall I am quite negative about it. It seems quite a step backwards apart from the resizing of windows.

12. AhSoul

Conversations

Go into Mail prefs -> Viewing and select 'Include related messages'

Then your replies show up in the conversation....

13. General Pance
    Thumb Up

Try Windows 7

It's great.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like