back to article Half of Virgin Media broadband ads are wrong, says ASA

Virgin Media has been taken to task by ad regulators over 10 separate adverts. The complaints centred on three separate national press adverts, a leaflet, a TV ad and a radio advert. BT complained that the first newspaper advert said that Virgin's fibre optic broadband is twice as fast as that of BT. BT bitched that this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. ChrisC Silver badge
      Unhappy

Yeah, that's annoying

Which is why it's doubly irritating to see BT doing exactly the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BT

I used to get my internet via BT but I stopped - for a good reason. It was slooow and unreliable. I switched over to Virgin and never looked back. They might have lied a little in their ads but that doesn't bother me as I'm already a customer and (as previously hinted) I will NEVER go back to BT!

2. darren.b
    Facepalm

Again?

I remember this lot were getting their wrists slapped when they were branded as NTL:Telewest, NTL, Telewest, United Artists, all the others. Goes all the way back. Regardless of the face they hide behind, their ads and their marketing are mostly lies. Most untrustworthy bunch to exist.

Good to see the ASA have deterred the cable cowboys from continuing in their misleading advertising. Almost 20 years on and the same bullshit being spouted. Business as usual.

Ban one misleading ad, they'll be out with another in a day or two.

3. Myopic Aardvark
    FAIL

Still remember the sham

That was BT - "You can only get 4.5Mb download. Nothing we can do about that."

*Switch to Sky*

Immediately moved up to 12Mb and am now regularly getting 14-15Mb from 1600-2300, which is when I'm using it.

Same line, same neighbours, no Virgin in our area, so someone was telling porkies about line speed.

4. Peter Mc Aulay
    Facepalm

Well, duh.

I've always interpreted asterisks in adverts as meaning "* Not actually true", it's never let me down yet.

5. Chrisszzyy
    Facepalm

I don't know why Virgin act like their products are perfect!

Why, why, why?

I have lost count of the number of times that Virgin have claimed their 'products' offer higher 'speeds' than other providers (Which they do in some areas in terms of throughput) and yet the throughput you get in a lot of other areas is abysmal!

I have seen countless of Forum posts around the web about 'congested' areas and according to Virgin support, they don't give a damn (They are as bad as BT Wholesale on capacity handing in my opinion and they are bad)!

Obviously BT are not perfect but Virgin doesn't even make it clear that their network is NOT Fibre Optic all the way to the consumers house (I know Coaxial cable is up to the job but it isn't 'Fibre Optic').

I think Virgin need to rethink their advertising practices quickly and BT need to stop being hypocritical in regards to their 'Infinity' packages (Even though in some areas you can get FTTP).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like