back to article Microsoft kills Windows Vista SP1 support

Microsoft is once again trying to bump the 10 per cent market share of people and businesses still lumbered with the company's unloved Windows Vista over to its latest operating system. The software vendor's Brandon LeBlanc reminded customers in a terse blog post that support for Vista Service Pack 1 ended yesterday. Cue the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Sly

windows 98 still performs well on our equipment...

where I work. We still have about a handful of win9x boxes, about the same win2k boxes... and a crap-ton of XP boxes. No Vista at all. No win7 (yet... supposed to be rolling out win7 later this year into early next year... maybe... if IT can get the images working right... somehow... in the nebulous future...). We have quite a few Sun stations running Solaris as well. Needless to say... my workplace gets stuff working and lets it run until it dies a horrible death... whether the supplier will actually support it or not.

Flame

How about

"We admit that Vista was a mistake, and we are offering a free upgrade to 7".

No?

I didn't think so.

Bronze badge

End of Life for OSes

I have two comments. First, why is it when a new OS comes out it is often so different in its core services from its predecessor that existing hardware & software virtually cease to function? Other than the obvious answer of the companies need to keep the revenue streams going, no other industry I can think of uses the same business model. Can you imagine having to scrap everything because NBC is now broadcasting in color instead of black & white?

Second, I personally think XP is going to live longer than many think. The SOHO users just can't afford to dump the billions of dollars worth of software & hardware in place that works perfectly well under XP but is not supported by Win7. If MS were to upgrade the XP kernel to the same security as supposedly in Win7, XP would be just as good if not better. Plus it would still take a much smaller footprint and would work on "lesser" machines. Hmmm...That sounds like Linux, which is based on UNIX which is at the core of MS-DOS which is the core of Win7.

Actually, I can think of one reason

Outside of the linux world, where everyone rebuilds everything because someone dropped their chapeau, library compatibility is a real issue. This can be particularly true for C++, as C++ lacks a properly defined ABI.

This is a HUGE issue on solaris, leading to multiple copies of libraries built with different compilers and different libstdc++ versions (libstdC (old crusty incomplete, but default), libstlport (improved Rougewave), libstdc++ (from apache), and the one version built with GCC). (this is mostly because parts of the C++ standard had not been finished in the early days, leading to the release of an incomplete version, but due to stability guarantees it's hard to just remove the old version.)

WINXP PRO

I stuck with WIN98 until XP SP2 had come out, then I changed over. After testing XP Pro I switched the business over to it. I saw no need to change when I retired. My successor is of the same mind.

As an OS, XP is leaner than all other newcomers and it does what we want it to and that is WORK.

I mean work every time, all the time, day in, day out. Yes, we had crashes, but they could be sorted. Our databases were unaffected.

MS can stuff the up-grades until they have been tested in some-one else's environment, not mine (or what used to be mine!).

Stop

Hasta La Vista

Windows Vista Home - Mainstream Support ends in less than a year on 10th April 2012 and Extended Support is not available. So never mind killing Vista SP1 they are killing of Vista completely.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=11731

Happy

This has always been a bit of a puzzle to me.

95 and 98, se and ME all looked about the same.

NT, 2000, XP. . . same.

So except for DRM issues and sell out* thingees.

Who in the hell cares?

Ok, I realize that Vista is the new ME and probably is one more thing that Mickey Soft would love to forget, all companies have these hiccups,;Firefox 4(heh) any damn thing Apple and some unnamed version of Linux.**

But this is Micro$oft; we expect this.

*Where they give AOL, et al automatic spamamagic access.

**Down votable paragraph from hell.

WTF?

Err

"That sounds like Linux, which is based on UNIX which is at the core of MS-DOS which is the core of Win7."

No it isn't. If it had been, DOS wouldn't have sucked. DOS is a quick and dirty knockoff of CP/M after MS stole the source code out of the Digital Research bins(!). DOS certainly wasn't based on UNIX though - maybe you're thinking of MS Xenix?

in re:That sounds like Linux, which is based on UNIX

Good ol' DOS.

I use it every day; I have batch files (well one universal batch file) that do everything for me.

Set up my network, compile new stuff; almost a script file.

Actually, if you look at it, the DOS and UNIX, LINUX command structure have been cohabiting for years. I cannot enter ls-A in DOS and get shit but dir gives me much the same in LINUX.

Migration of ideas and concepts.

The small differences between DOS and UNIX script have been eroded to the point where it is pretty easy to write one use both.

Happy

Powershell

Powershell goes one step further and has command aliases for most *nix commands it can replicate.

It's saved me so much frustration its untrue. Best feature by far.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018