back to article London Olympics shop in Union Jack outrage

We suspect that whoever is responsible for outsourcing this particular London Olympics commemorative keyring to a Chinese manufacturer may shortly be dancing the Tyburn jig, once Her Maj Liz II gets wind of just what has happened to the Union Jack*: The keyring with union flag colours reversed Mercifully, this trio of " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

I've just realised...

"XXX Olympiad" and the, um, Lisa Simpson logo. It's all starting to make sense now.

1. Chris 69
      Joke

XXX Olympics

At least that's something we could come first in...

... no medals there then.

1. Ted Treen
        Pint

There wouldn't be anyway...

in XXX terms, you lose points for coming first...

2. Roger Hughes
    Paris Hilton

Escalators

To maximise throughput on escalators, everybody should stand still using the whole width of the thing. The traditional London arrangement means that you can get up it faster by walking, but when you have rush hour or Olympic crowds, you won't save as much time as the extra time you spent queuing to get on it in the first place. These foreigners know a thing or two, see.

Paris because I prefer the metro, obviously.

1. dylan 4
      FAIL

I think you'll find the escalator capacity

would be substantially higher if everybody walked up the escalators using the whole width, as opposed to everybody standing still.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

It took me a while to figure out what the outrage was.

The colors have been inverted. I know this seems to be somewhat ridiculous to point out, but I had to consult Wikipedia to contrast the image of the proper UK flag in their article on the UK with the keychain image to figure this out.

You see, I'm an American. (I'll get my coat when I'm done saying my thing.)

I couldn't figure that out from the article, because it is not mentioned at all, in the article text, nor by means of a comparison image, because none were provided. To my eyes, the shape of the flag looked correct, and I could not immediately identify what the outrage was, as the article no doubt expected.

It was a bit of a disservice, honestly - foreign readers may not be intimately familiar enough with the Union Jack to discern whether the colors have been swapped (how many of you would immediately recognize if the blue and red were swapped on the Stars and Bars,) but also the article would seem to confound those with color perception impairments unable to tell the difference between red and blue, to say nothing of those with no sight whatsoever who have the article read to them by their computers, or those who browse without images.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Title

(how many of you would immediately recognize if the blue and red were swapped on the Stars and Bars)

I'd bet near-as-be-damned everybody. *easily* 9 out of 10 over-fives. 99+% of adults.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Health and Safety at the XXX Olympiad

High dive: Banned, too dangerous

Also: Shooting, boxing, high-jump, horse-jumping, wrestling, cycling and synchronised swimming*

* unless conducted in an empty pool.

5. greenmantle
    Coat

Union Jack

It's only important to make the difference between Union Jack and Union Flag when hanging out in the Senior Service. It's important there as the two are threated differently and can lead to diplomatic incidents. (i.e. it can be used to announce intentions depending on where it's flown)

The rest of the world quite rightly doesn't give a monkey's.

I'll ge my coat, it's the one with the slightly wider stripes on the collar....

6. tiggertaebo
    Stop

"Lisa Simpson administering oral pleasure"

Thanks for that image.. now that's all I can see when I see that damn logo.

7. smr

lack of imagination

took me a ages to spot 'Lisa Simpson administering oral pleasure'

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like