back to article Nokia unveils Contractual Obligation Meego Phone

Nokia announced four new phones at an event in Singapore today, three aimed at emerging markets and one at collectors of esoteric dead-end mobile hardware. Nokia's long awaited debut Meego phone, the N9, was finally unveiled. Meego was Nokia's high-end future platform until four months ago. No new Symbian phones were announced, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

That N9 is pretty darned pretty

The pictures on the inquirer make the curved glass of the screen pop a bit more - it's a remarkable looking object. From a design perspective it seems that Nokia is capable of playing on the same level as Apple, which frankly Samsung and HTC aren't - so I can only hope that their experience with WP7 isn't a disaster for them.

The omens aren't good though, I can't think of a case of a microsoft phone platform being a serious success, but hey - nothing is impossible.

Depends on your definition of success

Windows Mobile had, at one point, 24% market share of smartphones. Over the course of a decade many, many millions of handsets were sold. In the US in particular, it was hugely more popular than anything Nokia made. Of course, it was a shit platform but it's hard to define 24% market share as not a serious success.

It Would Be Wise To Remember

That the 24% market share was when the smartphone market was relatively tiny.

At the time there were no credible platforms, consumers had no interest in smartphones at all and the only people buying smartphones were the odd geek, some tech obsessed executards and workers such as courier drivers that were required to use one for job scheduling and box tracking etc.

It was a tiny niche market in comparison to todays market.

RIM blew MS out of the water and then apple crushed them into tiny little pieces.

Why? Because they made platforms that people actually wanted to use and put Windows Mobile into stark relief as the unfriendly and unattractive platform that it really was.

Must wonder

... why not keep Meego on the back burner if for no other reason than to keep Microsoft honest (or moreso than insisting on the exclusive use Windows). A handful (ok, a few tens) of people would suffice to keep the option open by targeting an occasional device.

Elop is an MS stooge...

... and because he is, he would have allowed MS to block this sort of option off in the agreement with MS. Elop buried Symbian and stated that the MeeGo phone would be an experimental device killing off a lot of interest from potential devs. Qt and QML in particular makes MeeGo an excellent platform for Devs and MS would like to see that buried.

Anonymous Coward

@Must wonder

"to keep Microsoft honest" errr sorry what?

good luck with that.

WTF?

Elop = wtf ?!?

Hmm, I had thought Elop had said Meego wasn't ready, yet here we are with an o/s that both looks superb and yet is full Linux with all the advantages which that brings.

So why on earth go with WP7 then, it's nowhere near as powerful as this, in fact it's a Fisher Price toy in comparison, and it isn't ready yet (on a Nokia) ? And where's the roadmap for WP7, what comes after that ?

Loads of QT apps are coming out on Symbian3 now, and they've even announced QT for S40, so why has this platform been burnt ? I don't normally wear a tin-foil hat but I think serious questions have to be answered by Elop.

In the meantime this device isn't perfect (for me that is - I'd like an fm transmitter and sd-card slot too please, along with usb-otg) but I would take it over a WP7 phone any day.

Bloody hypocrites

So Nokia are currently running a glossy big money ad campaign saying how the N8 is the best phone in the world and yet they are dropping the Symbian platform. Shameless hypocrisy.

This jump to Microsoft is typical of Nokia's floundering. Here's news for you Nokia - there are no quick fixes. Stick to your guns for once and see something through properly instead of knee jerking when things get tough. It never works, as you keep proving.

Holmes

Flioundering? Hypocrites?

Er...

Elop is a Manchurian candidate

He has burned all the R&D and software bridges at Nokia, climbed into bed with MS and those moves waxed 40% of the market cap.

Elop just forgot in his eagerness that he still needs to sell phones while he waits for MS to deliver a working OS for new Nokia badged toys - therefore the plans in place before Elop made his monumental announcement need to be executed.

Note also, that Elop has been backpedalling about symbian, where 2016 is now bandied around as EOL.

I am sure these new devices are fine phones and plenty of people will buy them. Most people do not give a FF what OS is running on a phone, as long as the price is right and the device meets the user's percieved needs.

Nokia as an innovator

Everyone focuses on the Windows Phone stuff, but disappointingly few analysts are looking further than that. Having both Meego and S40 running QT apps in the very near future, free to do whatever they want with them, while getting credibility from the American investors for going with a company those investors have actually heard of, is actually starting to look rather smart (assuming this isn't just a flash in the pan).

Nokia is the firm that made the 7110, the 3650, the 7600, the 7280 and 7380, the 7370, the 9500 and the E70. About time they got back to just putting phones out to see what works and what doesn't, rather than worrying about every phone being a blockbuster success. (Of course they need the blockbuster successes too...)

Nokia was an innovator

There. Fixed your typo.

As a customer or developer, I don't really care what a company did ten years ago. I care what they do now and what they are going to do in the future.

I don't care if they switch to Meego, or whatever, so long as they show me a reasonable roadmap showing some commitment to the platform.

Silver badge
Pint

I wonder

if Elop knew from the beginning that Nokia would loose half of its value as soon as he announced the killing of all Nokia platforms.

Did he actually believe that the Microsoft deal would be such a success for investors.

Has he lived within Microsoft and its balloon for too long.

Why not just tell that Nokia has a deal to (eventually) deliver WinPhones too.

I cannot see why this fast and abrupt killing of other platforms was necessary.

I hope I am wrong, but I have this feeling that his capacity to run Nokia is just not there.

An elephant in a china shop.

And yes give us a review of the Meego phone.

http://pocketnow.com/android/nokia-n9-first-press-shots

has something about it.

Go

This actually looks pretty good...

Engadget has videos of this thing running, and I am impressed for the first time in ages with regard to Nokia.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/nokia-n9-first-hands-on/

Silver badge

Look on the bright side

Nokia might not bother setting up app ecosystem for it now but it it's not as much of a dead end as it seems, it runs Dalvik.

This is the differentiator that Nokia could have used to set their phones apart from the other mobile OSes and yet have an instant large app marketplace while developers pick up speed with Meego/QT.

A minute's silence for what could have been.

LOOK AND SEE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZssHGR-Qg

It looks great. Sure I would like a qwerty, and that may come (N8 and then E7), but just look at it..

AB
Flame

<Various talking heads> putting the anal back in analyst

Is it just me who's sick of hearing tech analysts trash-talk that which they barely understand? One reason that things are sometimes hard to sell is a load of simplistic quotes from Gartner et al.

...of course, Nokia haven't helped themselves much these last 10 years either. But still: the N9 has fantastic potential. And I am gonna buy one.

@ herer

It already looks out of date (huge list of icons to scroll through anytime you want to do anything anyone?). Most of the other 'innovative' features they showed exist on other phone OS's with possibly the exception of that view of running applications. That was quite neat. But hardly a reason to buy a phone.

What they did not show are the email clients (at all) or the web browser (in any level of detail). These are the features I use most on my phone.

They also probably only have about 10 apps in their app store as no developers will target the platform.

So all in all, a huge fail for the OS.

The hardware looks nice though. I may buy one when they put a decent (WinPhone) OS on it.

@MS Rocks

"So all in all, a huge fail for the OS."

Huge fail for the OS or the review ?

"What they did not show .."

"They also probably only .."

Look at your qualifiers - what was not shown and what you suspect. You may be correct in your conclusion, but I really don't think you, me or anyone could make that call from the video plus your guesswork.

"I may buy one when they put a decent (WinPhone) OS on it."

Given your user name, that comment wasn't really that surprising.. perhaps what might be - to you at least - is that different people actually quite like a few different operating systems, phone-based or not, regardless of whether you think them decent or not.

Silver badge

There is no difference between developer and user

High end users automatically write their own programmes. On the Windows platform this leads to horrible VBA scripts. On Unix(oid) platforms this leads to horrible shell scripts. But those scripts get their job done way more efficiently than doing it per hand. The languages allow to write a program which is efficient even for only a single use.

That's why we need proper computers in such mobile devices. That's why we need shells more than finger gestures or facebook screens.

Unfortunately there is a lot of hostility against computers in our societies. People have stopped to learn how to program. I've seen graduated engineers _complaining_ they cannot find a job and furiously trying to refute it's because they don't understand programming.

FAIL

Typical Nokia

I really like the look of the phone - kind of an iPhone cross iPod nano 2g mashup. For some reason my interest is piqued. I hit up the link in the article. Presumably it has been checked, or even cut-n-pasted from the URL bar of someone actually visiting the page at the time.

"OOPS It looks like the page you're trying to find isn't available"

so I stuck N9 in the search box, and got a nice bold this-is-definitely-what-youre-looking-for type search result at the top of the list. Hit that link and "OOPS It looks like the page you're trying to find isn't available" WHAT? from your OWN search engine?!

VERY VERY typical of Nokia. I saw many of these pages when I was trying to sort out my CWM subscription, which also aptly demonstrated that Nokia employ a bunch of morons in their support function. CWM/Ovi music (pretty much the only bit of Nokia I have interacted with in recent years) displays popup windows full of jibberish and locks up until I pay attention to it, and has old-school fat client software that actually gets buggier and slower with each new release. Their support site is full of these kind of 404s or links for detailed information that plonk you back to the most generic of FAQ index pages.

Bumbling idiots can mash a working website together these days, it's a pretty well established art. If Nokia can't manage it, my confidence they can manage much else is severely dinted.

MS Rocks? Is that a joke?!

No. Just.. no. "Looks" fine to me - slick UI, but I prefer function and usability to be the measure of such a device.

This N9 is the successor to the N900 which is a truly excellent phone. Maps, great camera, flexible OS, no need to use the bloated zune app as your interface with the computah. Being an open (and evidently not burning) platform this looks just as versatile to me

Have you actually used a WP7? If so tell me how it was innovative compared to what you have just seen. You try and get the photos off your WP7 and you'll see it's terrible.

Mushroom

And I thought Andrew Orlowski was scathing...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/jun/23/nokia-n9-windows-phone-tease

Whew!!

(Icon == Burning platform)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017