back to article Apple dealers hit with Lion bar

Apple is bypassing the channel to sell the forthcoming Lion OS directly to biz customers in yet another blow to its beleaguered partner base, resellers have claimed. Corporate enterprises and education users will be able to purchase a minimum of 20 volume licenses for Lion directly at the Mac App Store via iTunes, in a move …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So a pirate copy for most "third world" countries

Countries like the Philippines only have RESELLERS. There's no official apple stores. There's the "A Store" which is a reseller.

Most Filipinos don't have credit cards, yes - even those who own a mac. So they couldn't purchase online even if they wanted to.

So if they can't buy it at the store, the only solution is to download a pirate copy.

The chances are high that they'd just download a pirate copy anyway, but you're giving them an excuse when they have no other choice.

1. Juan De La Cruz
      Happy

Dude you're lost

What are you talking about, we have a huge thriving Mac community in the Philippines.

http://www.philmug.ph

Mac users from the Philippines can easily buy stuff from the Apps store and iTunes no problem. If you don't have a credit card, it is so easy to get one. Like the US, Philippine banks are actually begging you to sign up for their service - that is if you have the cash or business (or Job) to qualify.

If you can't qualify for a credit card service I think you have more pressing financial worries then buying software from Apple. (Let me guess, you used you whole life savings when buying your Macbook? Bad move bro.)

2. Chad H.

There's also

"Prepaid" credit cards.

2. David Neil
    WTF?

£20?

For a service pack?

F'ck me there really is one born every minute

1. Chad H.
      FAIL

Yeah

They should have priced it like windows 7.

And it's not a service pack, we've already had a handful of those -for free - this is a major OS update.

2. Snapper
      WTF?

SP

I think your wit has been fucked!

It's not a service pack.

Just because it's downloadable don't equate it with one of Big M's major bug fixes.

We more perceptive citizens have a major upgrade to the next point version of the OS.

It costs £20 or $29 to download for up to five computers.

Perhaps you should bin your dinosaur and join the 21st century!

Or are you just jealous?

1. David Neil

You are absolutely right

Such innovations as full screen apps really do justify paying extra

1. Chad H.
          WTF?

Programs can already run fullscreen

Telltale manage it somehow.

3. nyelvmark
    WTF?

Partner?

What the fuck does 'partner' mean? The modern business-school meaning seems to be either 'supplier' or 'customer' depending who you're talking to. This is only sometimes confusing, but (IMO) always bloody annoying.

It even spreads to other languages. Not 50m from my flat there's a massive billboard advertisement which says (in Hungarian) "Does your bank treat you like a partner?" Uh, no - my bank treats me like a customer. I would be very pleased if they sent me a cheque every year saying "here is your share of our profits" but they don't, and I'm pretty sure the advertising bank doesn't either.

You might feel a nice warm glow inside when Steve Jobs calls you an Apple partner, but if you think he sees you any differently than any other customer, you're deceiving yourself. But don't worry - he loves you for it.

1. peterkin

Special relationship

A partner is someone who's f*cked, no?

4. Walt French

Why Do People Want To Give Away Their Money???

To retailers, whose knowledge extends to “I think you can find the Apple stuff on the bottom rack over there.”

We have a little saying: “Lead, follow, or get out of the way.” If the retailers were helping users with installation, or advertising the new features so shoppers could decide whether they wanted to bother, or providing much of ANY marketing services at all, you could make an argument for pricing the disks an extra $50 higher to cover their efforts and a fair profit.

They used to do that. But it's been a long time since *I* have seen much of any reason to pay extra to somebody who can't find the power switch on a demo machine.

I weep for this the same way that I weep for the days when people had whips to make the horses trot faster.

5. Andy 17
    Flame

App Store..

Does this mean the app store is now just a software store after all then? I mean Lion isn't an app is it? - it's an Operating System.

Hope that dents the ridiculous patent application!

6. Adam T
    WTF?

AppleID

So now we have to manage multiple AppleIDs in the office if we want to install Lion?

Fuck me, but this is getting to be a headache. I have more than 5 macs at home never mind at work - I'd hate to be in a company with dozens of these things.

Sure I'll admit that £20 is a great price point, and hey it fits 5 macs, but that comes with the caveat of no install disk. Frankly I'd be happier with the option to pay £75 for the disk. But this isn't about ease of use or the fabled "experience selling", it's about adding more walls to the garden, and I'm actually starting to feel a little claustrophobic.

Apple need to be a lot more upfront with information, because the lack of it - and explanations as to their thinking going forward - is putting me off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Not fit for corporates

"I'd hate to be in a company with dozens of these things."

Me too, for so many reasons...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Heh well yea...

I was thinking of post-production, design agencies and publishing houses. And the latter two aren't very well known for their stellar IT.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like