back to article Facebook hurls insults, punctuation at growth slump report

Facebook flacks are up in arms about a report that pointed to usage growth slumping in the company's more mature markets such as the US, where six million people recently switched off from the world's largest social network. Inside Facebook Gold said data it had garnered about Facebook usage showed that the Mark Zuckerberg-run …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Andy Goss

Inactive users

I have a couple of "real world" friends who are also on Facebook, but are inactive, they have no use for it. I find it cumbersome to use, all I want to do is go to the page of one of my very short list of Facebook "friends", but there seems to be no straightforward way of doing so. I would have thought a simple link to a list of friends would be an obvious function, but no, that would be too easy.

The Facebook mission appears to be to cozen people into forming huge networks of meaningless relationships and exposing whatever information they have uploaded to anyone who wants it.

I don't get the point. World domination? Or perhaps the whole thing is the creation of somebody so terminally insecure that they want to reduce the whole of humanity to their own level of futility. And no I have not seen the film.

2. Jim 59

News feed

What put me off FB was the introduction of the "news feed", a large pane occupying centre-screen, which you cannot turn off, that barks at you every time a friend-of-a-friend does anything. There was a FB revolt at the time, but the company got its way and the enforced "feature" stayed.

3. Stevie Silver badge

Bah!

Every time I'm tempted to join the TwitFace generation I get a dose of "why bother".

Most recently delivered courtesy of my Sister-in-Law who "unfriended my mother-in-law (thus denying her pictures of her grandchildren) because, and I all-but-quote, the M-i-L had been saying nice things about her on facebook but was less than cordial to her face.

I'll read that again: She got upset by the fact that someone says nicer things about her on the internet than in person. You can't make this sort of stuff up.

The *relevant* thing here is that Arsebook is mostly just another way to bully people from where I sit. It's inception was born out of exclusionary thinking. The fact that the thing outgrew the club it was intended for doesn't change the underlying clique-centricity of the idea.

So I've effectively defriended every single person on Arsebook by not getting involved with it in the first place.

C'mon in. The irony is wonderful.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019