back to article World IPv6 Day fails to kill the internet

World IPv6 Day was the non-event everybody hoped it would be. For 24 hours yesterday, more than 400 major internet companies, including Google, Facebook and Microsoft, joined in with the largest-scale production test of the next generation Internet Protocol to date. Organised by the Internet Society, the project was intended …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Go

Re: Translating NAT router?

Yes, that would be what is called NAT46 (IPv4 client talking to IPv6 servers). Not yet fully specified, and perhaps never will be - if your PC or Mac can talk both v4 and v6, *and* your ADSL box can do both, *and* your ISP can do both, you don't need NAT46. PCs and Macs are already OK, dual-stack ADSL boxes are very close to the market now, so it's time to start nagging your ISP about IPv6 service (at no extra charge, naturally).

It really isn't hard any more, which I wouldn't have written two years ago.

Paris Hilton

They are doing it wrong

Why arent they thihnking smart about this.

IPV6 the backbone, have 6->4 nat routers at the isp's

then slowly move it down until the ADSL modem you get is IPV6 WANJ IP4/6 LAN.

but then why not just expand the ipv4 by adding another 255 on the front.....

Security is shot to hell under ipv6 until they restore the ability to firewall whole subnets no body will go to ipv6 in earnest.

Alert

(untitled)

"IPv4 and IPv6 are not compatible"

What a pile of crock. As demonstrated by this very event.

Alert

Killer app for ipv6?

Three letters: LTE.

Fun with IPv6 addresses

As the letters a-f appearing IPv6 addresses, engineers have been adding their own special touch to IPv6 day:

Facebook – 2620:0:1c08:4000:face:b00c::

BBC – 2001:4b10:bbc::1

see more here: http://www.2020media.com/blog/2011/06/spell-it-out-with-ipv6/

That's a lot of redundancy!

3.4 undecillion IP addresses, that's 3400000000000000000000000000000000000 IPs

Per person alive today, that works out at roughly 50000000000000000000000000000 IPs a head

Gonna be a while before we fill that methinks !

Go

Consumer ISPs

How about The Reg doing a ring around of all the UK ISPs asking them for concrete information on their intended (or current?!) IPv6 offerings to customers, and then do a write-up?

I'd move if the service was there (and the price was right of course...).

Anonymous Coward

Not sure if it is related...

...but on IPV6 day I lost access to my hotmail account, it said there had been too many failed log in attempts - even though my phone had been happily collecting emails from it all morning, right up to the moment I tried to log in via Firefox.

All attempts to reset my password etc, have failed, and I'm currently waiting for the "may take 24 hours" hotmail support to do something.

I find it odd that after having this hotmail account for many many years, it now suddenly goes wrong on IPV6 day, too much of a coincidence for me.

Weasel Words

"IPV6 Traffic was up 67%"

They held this IPV6 day because no one was using it and they didn't even manage to double the traffic this non- existent traffic.

Almost nothing + Almost Nothing * 0.67 = Almost Nothing

Facepalm

Netgear *is* IPv6 ready

My Netgear WNDR3700 router has IPv6 support since a firmware upgrade a few months ago, for me it uses a 6 to 4 tunnel because my ISP doesn't support IPv6 yet, but other than that it works fine.

Anonymous Coward

Can someone answer this?

I have always wondered, given the huge size of the Google internal network, do they use IPv6 internally with 4to6 servers on the edge? It seems like it would simplify a lot of management problems of having such a large network.

Alien

"Microsoft recently bought 666,000 addresses...."

Further proof.

Facepalm

Despite so much potential...

...2011 must be the wimpiest year ever!

* W recovery - It's still on a V

* Celebrities - got boring

* Cricket - England is the most exciting team.

* Middle class - stayed boring

* anti matter - just a fizz.

* Rapture - didn't happen.

* Internet - didn't die

* Bin Laden - died

It's like cold war all over again, just packed in one small year.

Pint

How about a compromise?

I would be willing to go along with 64 bit IP addresses, but 128 bits is just plain silly. Can we get an IPv5 that preserves all the stupidity of IPv4 but simply doubles the sizes of the addresses? I'd be willing to bet that we could get away with just 48 bits for the next 20 years or so.

Beer logo because we obviously would need an Internet Draft for this.

OK, ready, set, DOWNVOTE!

Anonymous Coward

6-4, 4-6

Why don't ISP's run 6-4 gateways? Some of them already run large-scale NAT. Surely the routers they're using/buying support this??????

Is anyone taking bets on how long IPv4 lives? I'm guessing December of 2019.

Pirate

Anyone for a spot of brigandry?

How's about we set up an 'alternative' registry offering IPV4++ numbers instead? Preferably on a Swedish host as they seem to get away with just about anything. These addresses will be of the form 123.123.123.123.123.123 with the last four octets identical to IPv4, and NO changes being required for existing IP-address owners.

Existing routers may need a firmware upgrade to access IPs in the range above 0.0.255.255.255.255, but in most cases that will be all that's needed.

Cue roaring pirate laughter...

end of the internet then?

Perhaps people will just stop using the net if it becomes a bother. As a service provider manager I work with 3 upstreams that don't give me a hard time getting ipv4 ip's and they are all ipv6 enabled networks.

I know my cisco home networking equipment doesn't support ipv6 but my cable modem does. Both devices were only purchased a few months ago.

So what am I suppose to do even if I can get ipv6 from comcast which was said to be here at the start of June but of course isn't.

Maybe we'll all just hop off the net. It may just happen.

Thanks ARIN, good job managing the ip's. Perhaps Bank of America needs a few more million.

Black Helicopters

Simple solution

It seems all these new addresses are needed for toasters, cookers and shavers. Why don't we just use IP6 for 'Toasternet' so that all the banal and probably unneccessary traffic can keep to its own superhighway. When the sunspots hit us the whole thing will burn out anyway and we will have to resort to using our hands to operate these complicated devices instead. IP6? Yet again, a poorly disguised way of getting us to buy a load of new hardware, and keep the cash flowing towards the network people.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018