back to article World Health Organization: Mobile phone cancer risk 'possible'

In a move that's sure to fan the flames of the ongoing debate about the safety of mobile phones, a panel of World Health Organization (WHO) experts has classified those ubiquitous handsets as "possibly carcinogenic to humans". The group of 31 scientists from 14 countries, meeting in Lyon, France, under the auspices of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

FFS!

How about you do things in moderation? You natter on your mobile for 17 hours a day I'm pretty sure you get more than a lump in the brain, you'll probably get dodgy arm joints and a tired muscles too!

I stand around for 17 hours a day with jelly down my pants, that would probably lead to some form of testicular cancer if not then at least a nasty damp rash around my bits! You do anything too much there's going to be consequences, eat too much you get fat, get cancer. You drink too much, you get fat, drunk and cancer. You w**k too much, you get tired arms, hairy palms, bad eye-sight and cancer ( probably! ).

Use your phone when you need to and don't sleep with it next to your head when you go to bed, you'll probably be alright.

I still have a nagging feeling that quite a lot of cancers is just from pure stress of modern living. We're told morning, noon and night that this, that and the other will kill us, we stress and never wind down. If we all calm down, take things in moderation and try not to get worked-up over the most stupid pointless things, I'm sure we'd all be a lot more healthy, both mentally and physically.

Right it's midweek, down the pub for a pint'n'pasty!

1. peter 45
      Pirate

pint and pasty. Noooooooooooo

At the very least that's obesity and alcoholism. You are doomed I tell ya, doomed.

2. The Alpha Klutz

The way people talk these days

It's like they expect to live forever.

"You can't do THAT, it's dangerous! I would never do THAT, and I have never died. Not even once, so you BETTER listen to me."

That's what you will hear from one of these fascists, right before they jump in their Audi to go drive around town 10 millimeters from the back of a heavy Goods Vehicle while they chain smoke cheap knock-off cigarettes full of mercury and monkey droppings.

2. Mike Hanna

Lawsuits

Ok, so when companies run risk comparisons to show whether they should follow one course of action or not, they take the number of possible occurances should they make the wrong choice, and the potential cost per case in court. 4 billion people have mobile phones? This is a guestimate. 4 billion * cost per death-law-suit-after-incorrect-info = bankrupt WHO / UN.

So are they going to even chance the fact that they've got it the slightest bit wrong? No, they're going to err on the side of litigation and say that it COULD possibly be the tiniest bit cancerous.

3. Gus
    FAIL

Einstein was right

Cancers are caused by mutant strands of DNA. Electromagnetic radiation can't create mutant strands of DNA unless the frequency is at or higher than the blue limit of the visible spectrum, the near-ultraviolet. The frequency of cell phone radiation is about 1 million times too low. Albert Einstein discovered this in 1905 and received the Nobel Prize in physics for his explanation of the photoelectric effect in 1921. The wost mobile phone radiation can do is cause a slight localised heating of the brain, which the flow of blood is very efficient at moderating. Go outside on a sunny day without a hat on and your brain will be heated to a much greater extent. Mobile phone radiation can not cause cancer. If it did, where is the correlation between the huge increase in mobile phones and the vast increase in brain cancer? There is none!

1. Nigel 11
      Boffin

Can't?

The above is hugely over-simplified.

Firstly, it's demonstrably true that heating changes the behaviour of living tissues. Your phone causes a small rise in temperature of tissue in your ear and brain. One of the likely changes is the speeding-up of undesirable biochemical reactions that create oxidative stresses. Such stresses are known to be carcinogenic. And warm-blooded mammalian metabolisms are fine-tuned for a tightly controlled operating temperature.

Secondly, and even more technical, there is a possible mechanism whereby microwave EM radiation may cause free radicals to flip into a different electronic configuration. Such altered radicals might escape being mopped up at the site of a biological reaction that is known to create them, and where nature has put suppression mechanisms in place. After migrating elsewhere in the cell, they go back to theoriginal state by emitting a quantum of microwave radiation, and cause damage. The theory is good; it would be verging on impossible to actually observe it in living issue.

Much better to assume "can", and ask "but does it"? More particularly, "does it to a significantly harmful extent"? I'd say for mobiles, "can" is proven, " does it" is uncertain, "harmful" almost certainly not, with a small lingering doubt in my mind for long calls in a maximum-transmit-power weak signal area.

BTW you're wrong about heating caused by sun on your head. It'll warm your scalp, but not your brain tissue (at least not up to the point you get heatstroke, which is deadly dangerous). Your blood circulation distributes heat from the sun through your entire body, like water-cooling a CPU, and your warm-blooded metabolism actively regulates your core temperature at a nominal 38.4C (+/- about one degree between individuals). Heatstroke is what happens when the regulation fails to cope. You die soon afterwards if someone can't cool you down.

4. stim
    WTF?

shaver weirdness

if i hold my old nokia next to my philishave and then ring the nokia, the shaver actually starts up and pulses as if you are pressing the power button on and off!

can anyone explain this - should i be worried?!! (i'm not shaving with it at the time btw!)

1. Alister

And just how...

...did you discover this phenomenon then? Were you shaving whilst chatting on the phone?

Yes, I can explain it, and no you shouldn't be worried...

1. stim

not sure how i discovered it exactly...

...it was a number of years ago, i think i must have put the phone near shaver (i used to live out of a bag a lot and was probably between places) the phone rang - and so did shaver!!

5. pctechxp
    Happy

@stim - thats.....

...one interesting ringtone you have there.

6. DJ Particle
    Go

If you don't worry about your morning coffee or that jar of pickles....

...then don't worry about your cell phone.

The WHO lists all three in the same "possible risk" list. Look it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

what about

my morning pickle and that jar of coffee.

7. Stevie

Bah!

Has anyone done a study of how constant wearing of hands-free earpieces 24x7 and the consequent close exposure to blootuthe frequencies affects one? Other than making one look like a pretentious tw*t that is.

I expect the study we are commenting around was funded in part by World Wide Bluetooth Devices Plc Ltd No-Liability_Attachable Inc (PRC).

More importantly, why is there no Radiation Hazard bezel or Lightning Bolt icon with which I could decorate this important missive?

8. Jemma
    Facepalm

***clang***

Hark, I hear the sound of a a point being totally and utterly missed...

You lot probably believe that antidepressants work dont you.... see "the emperors new drugs" by Irving Kirsch for some thought provoking commentary on that.

If you had read the article you would see that they are saying there is 'some evidence'. People who get cancer in the main are predisposed to it any way, through family genetics. The best using a cellphone will do is exacerbate that predisposition. The same with someone who uses carcinogenic chemicals - five will get you the sabacc pot - that of the workers all using that chemical 90% of the people who get some sort of cancer later in life will be genetically predisposed.

And for the love of God, will you stop with the microwave crap. Its utterly irrelevant. A microwave is a large box, about the size of an average human torso. It sits on the side in the kitchen and is used to cook with. It is a large lump of mostly metal. It is not something you carry around with you every day.

A mobile phone is a small device made of plastic or lightweight metal or a mixture of the two. It is constantly on, constantly transmitting and constantly picking up and generating signal traffic. And now for the important part... IT IS RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR SODDING EAR AT THE POINT WHEN ITS CAUSING THE MOST RADIATION. It is a proven fact that running a small electric current across the brain in certain ways can affect intelligence and speed of thought for the better. In the same way, electrical devices implanted in the brain can do the same. It is pretty much a sure thing that a mobile phone will have some effect on the areas of the brain that it is closest to (this in fact has been proven by MRI & CT scans).

Microwave cookers are designed to cook the food inside, using as already mentioned a faraday cage (often otherwise known as a routemaster bus) to make sure all that nice microwave energy stays where it should.

A mobile phone depends on being precisely the opposite - it is the jaywalking slapper to the microwave ovens biblethumpette.

High intensity microwave transmissions, should you get in their path, will poach your eyes and other organs in short order. We can therefore assume that smaller amounts of similar energy have similar but lesser effects. However, we cannot assume that in all people cellphones can cause cancer, because they cant, at least not on their own. Its true that like alot of other things (including of all things smoked fish, yes seriously) they may have carcinogenic effects, but you cant have smoke without fire...

Its most likely that we will find that cellphones have some sort of effect on cancers, which isnt a great thing - but unleaded petrol additives are known to be carcinogenic and I dont see mr average american selling his car on the spot. This is not the important thing. My personal view is that while we will find some evidence for alot of things having carcinogenic effects - it will be the genetic predisposition in a individual that acts as the overbearing reason for a cancer to develop, in the same way as its more likely for someone with heart problems in the family to die of a heart attack.

And I dont know if you have noticed, amongst the wailing and gnashing of dentures, but everyone has death built in - it like the MS BSOD is part of the software. Personally I prefer to live - without worrying about what new thing is going to kill me next week - it has a wonderful calming effect, living in reality...

maybe you should try it...?

9. Nigel 11

A constructive suggestion

Cellphones operate across several orders of magnitude of output power. In a weak-signal area (one bar) they're emitting a thousand or more times more strongly than in a good-signal area.

It would be possible to give every cellphone a user-selectable maximum output power. Setting this lower than maximum would mean there would be larger black-spots where you couldn't use them. You could choose to remove the limiter for a particularly urgent call, and allow the phone to go to maximum for a text (from next to your hand, not your ear, and brief). Trouble is, no manufacturer is going to be the first to implement this functionality, partly because of fear of lawsuits for "knowingly" selling a "dangerous" product, and partly because ones without this function might be seen as safer rather than as less safe.

Let the WHO suggest that all phones should implement a user-selectable power limit, and let all major governments introduce that requirement in law. If there's a small risk at full power, let us choose never to have long meaningless conversations at full power.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

drop calls / no coverage

then people will compliant about their drop calls and no coverage... phones are generally have a max power 1W (CW).

10. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A new study

In a study of American teenagers over the last 10 years have shown that cellphone use causes obesity, the inability to form sentences that consist of more than "it's like - you know", a decline in maths scores and wearing your trousers half-way down your arse.

Well I'm blaming the cell phones.

1. Tom 13

Don't you mean

" l1k u no!"?

11. Tom 13

Shouldn't the lede be

In a move that's sure to fan the flames about the qualifications of the World Health Organization to provide valid advisory recommendations for promoting health, today the WHO let a panel of so-called experts classify those ubiquitous handsets as "possibly carcinogenic to humans".?

Oh, never mind. I forgot the author hails from Frisco.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pickles

Just so's you know, the pickles mentioned aren't common or garden gherkins or onions. In Japan, people pickle wild edible plants (sansai). High consumption is associated with an increased risk of pancreatic cancer among men. That's probably down to the presence of nasty stuff called ptaquiloside.

1. Mike Hanna

@FatsBrannigan

Hey! Who said you could come in here using proper facts!

The Daily Mail says we're all going to die of cancer due to phones, so we should point out that eating pickled onions is going to kill them too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OK, I'll Mail it up for you...

"Bracken Bitten"

How's that?

13. Hassene Akkeri
    Megaphone

Go green to avoid an economical crash

The negative effects mobile phones have on health have been argued and proven by many scientists. Yet, the disastrous economical effect that such information would imply made it impossible for any decision body or government to recognize it.

Meanwhile, the 2W radio power generated by the GSM handsets have been reduced to 0.2W in WCDMA handsets which reduces partly the danger. Also, new technology trends such as offloading mobile communications to fixed-line networks through Femtocell and Wifi and Cloud-driven revolutionary architectures (such as Alu's lightradio) will decrease even more the required radioelectrical power.

In my opinion, the health impact of the mobile handsets is unquestionable. It has bad effects on brain, nervous system, eyes and ears. And the challenge here is to let the regulatory bodies, governments and telcos accelerate to consider more green technology trends before the health impact issue drives to a critical worldwide economical crisis.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like