back to article New PlayStation Network hack hijacks user accounts

Four days after the PlayStation Network reopened, Sony has taken down login and password recovery pages for the service following reports they contained a serious flaw that was actively exploited to hijack user accounts. The vulnerability, which was first reported by UK-based gaming news site Nyleveia.com, required only that an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

Wow.

This mess must now rank about 6.5 "Friday"s on the crapness scale.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

FFS! Muppets!

Stop that sniggering at the back you lot!

Right now, come on Sony, stop messing about! You've a little practice a few weeks back, little mess about, let's get it right now!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Wow

Glad I removed my payment details while changing my password.

@The BigYin - no, you don't need a connection to play games or stream stuff. Not that I'm recommending one :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

"you don't need a connection to play games or stream stuff"

Unless of course you want to use "Love Film"!

4. LPF
    Thumb Up

Somewhere in redmond..

The Xbox360 team is laughing their heads off!

Say what you want about microsoft, eveny they would be hard pushed to create this kind of cockup. When people are paying for your service and it is a major revenue generator , you actually put effort into building the system and making sure it is secure!

1. CD001

Erm...

----

When people are paying for your service and it is a major revenue generator , you actually put effort into building the system and making sure it is secure!

----

Like Windows you mean?

5. Seanmon
    Thumb Up

Can't wait for payday.

Gonna get me a dirt cheap PS3.

6. Arnie
    Paris Hilton

Joy!

As someone said, it's like watching a trainwreck in slo-mo.

How anyone would even consider going back on the PSN beggar's belief. Hell, I wouldnt even plug a sony telly into my network, not that i;d ever own a Sony product other than the 20yr old PLII pre-amp that sits under my monitor.

Paris cause she is obviously in charge of security at the struggling multi-national

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

PSN time machine...

I got an email from Sony informing me that I had successfully changed my password, more than 12 hours BEFORE I actually managed to finally log on again after the PSN down-time and eventually change my password (not so curiously, the Sony PSN servers were very busy last Sunday!) from my PS3.

Whoever it was that logged into my account, it wasn't me... and curiously, they didn't bother to actually change my password, despite the Sony email.

(Paris because I can't think of anyone I'd more like to send into the future (or past))

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

had details, did use

My online Fifa account was hacked after they obtained my DOB and secret email address from the PSN hack.

9. joe.user
    FAIL

Sony Security - YOU SUCK

And you're in charge of a cluster of code cracking GPU's!? Dangerous...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I lived in Japan

I'd be avoiding cherry orchards in spring for the next couple of years I think..

11. Slackness
    Happy

So Glad

So glad my stepson had gaming removed for a minimum of a year (*on medical advice) for his gaming addiction, it was kind of poetic that it happened at the point of the issue arising.

So,we are very happy to ride this out... Thanks Sony! Top Marks!

12. Jayw

Oh, finally

I emailed Sony support about this issue over a year ago. Nice to see they've finally bothered to do something about it now that the eyes of the world are on them.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like