back to article Top-secret US lab infiltrated by spear phishers – again

One of the most sensitive science labs in the US has shut down all internet access after attackers exploited a vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser to steal data from some of its servers, according to published news reports. The security breach at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory is at least the second time …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

They otter know better...

The fact that a "secure" lab is still using IE is, in my opinion, grounds to dismiss the CIO and CSO on grounds of gross incompetence and negligence.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It's obvious - get rid of the HR department.

Phishers look for an email sender that is credible.

Who better than the HR department who almost certainly churn out illiterate and incomprehensible rubbish on a regular basis, therefore are likely to cause less concern when they start addressing people as "My Christian Brother" and similar?

An HR person once invited me to a meeting on the 37th. of the month. Yup, they'd counted the days on their calendar. Dunno how they got to 37 though - Only ever saw one get past 10 myself, and he was wearing elastic-sided shoes...

3. Graham Wilson
    Flame

How many years has the world known that IE's a barnyard door? Right, whip the idiots.

Put goodies inside a barnyard without a door and surely this is what you'd expect.

The f-wit(s) who allowed Internet 'barnyard-door Explorer' to be installed here ought to be whipped and their life story exposed to WikiLeaks!

(It never ceases to amaze me that people still actually let the internet be connected to computers which contain very sensitive data. Laziness and incompetence seems to know no bounds.)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like