back to article Steven Moffat promises 'darker' Doctor Who

Steven Moffat has teased that the forthcoming new series of Doctor Who will kick off with episodes "darker than any other opener of a season". Speaking to journalists at the launch of the the new episodes, Moffat said: "We've been pretty dark before in Doctor Who. But we're coming in from the dark side just because we haven't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. DrStrangeLug

Dont break it in two!

Seriously, stop halfway through until the Autumn?

"Oh look, battlestar stopped for half a season every year, that must be why they won all those awards!"

1. ArmanX
      Thumb Down

Interesting point:

US shows that have that big break halfway through also have 20-25 shows in a season... a nice break between, and you can actually have a mid-season cliffhanger. However, that is 10-13 episodes per *half* season.

Half of a 13 episode season is barely over a month of weekly shows. It's not a nice break to keep people coming back for more, it's more of a huge gap that makes people give up for lack of interest...

1. Tom 38
        Headmaster

Re: Interesting point

Depends on the network. SyFy* produce a number of shows with 13 episode runs, some of which are split over the christmas break, where I think they just show re-runs.

* God I hate that name.

2. MJI Silver badge

Actually Doctor Who was winning them

With Moffatt penned shows

2. JDX Gold badge

re: scary...

18-rated FPS games are rated for gore and violence, not suspense. That's why you can make scary PG films.

Adults play FPS games and are still scared by Cybermen.

3. FreeTard
    Thumb Up

Cybermen?

Come on, when were Cybermen ever scary?

The only one that was scary was "Blink", but only the first one, the other shows with the moving statues were not.

Mega sad at David Tennant "death", even had a tear in my eye.

But really like the new lad now, and Amy is well fit.

Good choice, definitely a 10.

4. Banther dodo
    Thumb Up

Jaffa alert

Looks as if the doctor likes his gingers

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Go

Dr. Who vs. the Neocons?

Hell yeah!

6. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Arg!

Gave up (seriously) watching Dr Who when they decided to cast as many rubber faced goons as possible as the Doctor. Daft sidekicks have often been a part of the series make up though. Just something that doesn't appear to be want to be yet another lame karate kicking sword fighting pointless Hollywood-style movie remake would be a fine start.

In any case, the scariest thing about some of the older Dr Whos was wondering whether or not the set would collapse on the actors...

7. Lloyd
    FAIL

James Corden

Is the episode he's in one where he's slowly bled to death by a series of increasingly nasty paper cuts? Because I'd watch that, but he's as much of a pull as Catherine Tate, I'd rather eat my own sick than watch it.

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Controlling humanity sublimely with futuristic media tales for Real SMART 21st Century Networking

"The four, "aided by President Nixon and Neil Armstrong's foot", battle "an alien force who control humanity through post-hypnotic suggestion"." ....... Hmmm? Is that a present and current fact or just thought and played as a fiction?

Have the BBC finally found their balls/brains?

9. Criminny Rickets
    Black Helicopters

Companions

Personally, I wish they would get rid of Karen Gillan. Amy Pond is just too darn whiny and annoying. Keep River Song and Rory, but get rid of Amy Pond. River Song would make a great companion for him. She's smart, as her own agenda, isn't whiny at all, makes the Doctor think and yet is also there to help him when he needs it. Rory has his moments, but for the most part has proven to be an able companion as well.

1. Alex C
      Thumb Down

Companions

Um no - Amy Pond is the first decent companion the Doctor's had in ages. Not only is she hawt, but also funny, clever and thankfully they're friendly rather than mooning over each other. Nothing not to like there so long as they keep her feelings pretty superficial.

10. Gordon Barret
    FAIL

Don't split it up

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't split it up into two sections you fu*ktard!!

There's only one thing more infuriating than these damn celebutards like Katie Price trying to be seen on tv every day and that's when excellent programs in a series are split up into two sections!

They do this with Stargate and Fringe - we don't want it with Doctor Who as well!!

His thinking is flawed in this - just because there is a series of, say, 13 episodes it does not follow that you may think its ok to miss one, but if you have two smaller series of 6 and 7 episodes then you wont think that. Utter coswallop!

It's far more likely to be the opposite - if you've seen the first half of the series and then have to wait for a few weeks you are far more likely to forget about it during this break, and mis the first episode.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

11. Johnny Canuck

This is not a title

I actually thought "The Waters of Mars" was pretty good. Especially poignant was David Tennant's speech from the airlock trying to convince the commander to let him leave. Blink was pretty good too, but the scariest part was the intro/preview thingy where the Dr. says "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink".

1. T J
      Pint

The Wartards of Marrrrs

Sorry old boy just have to pull you up there.

The Waters Of Mars was in fact not good. It was terrible, and very embarassing.

I think you are mistaking it for...... anything at all that RTD had absolutely nothing to do with.

12. Anonymous John
    Happy

Look on the bright side.

The gap between the two sections will be filled by Torchwood

1. ArmanX
      Unhappy

Wait, that's a bright side?

Torchwood had a few good moments, but the most recent series was indescribably bad. I've tried to describe how bad it was, but was reduced to feebly waving my arms and gaping like a drowning fish.

13. Dick Emery
    Alien

Meh!

I like Doctor Who but think it suffers too much from pandering to the ADD crowd. They try to cram in SOOOOOO much in each episode it can become one chaotic mess of action, quips, more action, more one liners interspersed with a few interesting plot devices.

Sloooooooow doooooooown FFS!

A genuinely engaging storyline that is good sci-fi rather than lol drama set on bloody Earth most of the time is what is required. Still I guess they keep trying to make this a 'family' show. I know for a fact that the old series (before it's reboot) was not at all family friendly. It was the bastard child of the BBC that would often kick the can to the wall and be damned with being family friendly.

Bring back the sci-fi! I don't give a crap about the shitty mundane lives of humans. It's depressing enough having to live it for real without it being shoved down my throat in a so called sci-fi show.

14. Colin Bain
    Badgers

Darker Doc

I've always thought Matt Smith needed to be a darker doc. That would make him sufficiently diiferent from Tennant, who was great. Smith could be great too, but different. But definitely not stupid different like that great scots twerp! I simply refuse to waste brain cells remembering his name too.

15. heyrick Silver badge

Mind blowing and visually arresting

Like, what, riding a chariot pulled by a shark through the sky just isn't good enough any more?!?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

To add my two pennyworth. I think a) we need to avoid all these "and in one bound he was free" type of lazy turnarounds of fortune in each story, writers should take the time to make the plot flow properly, and b) we need to ensure The Dr. is the good guy, we have had at least one episode (Family of Blood I believe) when the Doc's wrath seemed to show him in a totally inappropriate light.

17. T J
    FAIL

This better be an improvement Steven......

This better be an improvement Mr. Moffat.

You are currently on probation, especially after I vomited blood for 3 days after that Xmas Special. Oh it was special alright. Special the way that suddenly discovering you have Scurvy would be.

You showed signs of promise, but sir, we all just ASSUMED that after you took over the helm the series would be come briliant, like the real Who! All Blink, all Empty Child, for gods' sakes all JEKYLL. This did not happen, and around about the time of the Candy Daleks there were spontaneous outbreaks of crying in public.

You are on probation Steven Moffat. This better be an improvement.....

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: This better be an improvement Steven......

Oooooo. Whaddya gonna do? Fire him?

NB I suspect Moffat is not actually reading these comments, so if you want to address him you may wish to contact the BBC.

18. Ooo-wait-BUT!
    Paris Hilton

R U my mommy?

... still phuks me up something chronic to think about it.

My favourite episode was the one where Billy Piper was abandoned on what I would call the 'right side' :o)

All praise the 'wibbily wobbily timey stuff' scene - needs more of that kind of writing. Honestly, unless there are a small group of sycophantic adults saying stuff like, "seriously, you're gonna f**k up children if you scare 'em like that" then Dr Who is failing everyone.

Paris is obsessed with the 'cracks in the universe'

19. dreamingspire
    Happy

Are all of you commenting...

...too young to remember that steam radio series Journey Into Space. Really scary!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

It's a screwdriver.....

....not a f***ing magic wand!!!!!

I haven't watched any DW since that second stone angels story. It was absolutely the last straw.

21. Slim Chance
    Coat

Wobbly sets

And gravel pits, that's what's missing on the Nu-Doctor.

Whenever we get promised a re-vamp of a programme that will be darker it's always very average.

Why don't the BBC admit that DW is now a soap and do crossovers with enders, oh they've done that, well how about casualty then? Nah, too many doctors.

Got it, Doctor who in the night garden with the doctor as igglepiggle - perfect.

1. BorkedAgain
      Happy

In the Night Garden

You know, it occurred to me (a few years ago, when it came out) that, if we wanted to prepare a generation for the revelation that the Galaxy was inhabited and we were about to join their serried ranks, then in the Night Garden would be the ideal way to do it.

Think about it; Igglepiggle (the protagonist, humanity) goes into the Night Garden (the night sky, where each star becomes a flower) and has adventures with all manner of different entities on various scales (intelligent transports, OCD rock-creature, the nurturing plant-lady, tiny-but-highly-influential swarm creatures, bouncing gasbags etc) all narrated by Ian Holm.

Maybe I read too much sci-fi...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like