Got an iPad and it's the best damn coffee coaster ever!
I bought an iPhone 3G a long while back. A few weeks later, the 3Gs came out so, I gave the 3G to the wife and got a 3Gs for me. I had it for a while, loved it. Got an iPhone 4, gave my son the 3Gs and all was good. Then the wife felt left out and wanted a 4. So we got her a 4 and my daughter got the 3. Then the wife got an iPad at work since she works at help desk and handles most of the phones and stuff like that. Then my boss, who for tax reasons or something couldn't give cash, gave us all iPads for Christmas.
I couldn't figure out what to do with the iPad.
1) It doesn't sync my iPhone, I have to use my Mac Book for that (which runs Windows ONLY)
2) It doesn't fit in my pocket
3) It doesn't run anything my iPhone doesn't
4) It takes FOREVER to charge
5) I can't install software on it without buying it again since I've used all 5 of my activations for 4 iPhones and the wife's iPad. So I'd need another account.
6) It sometimes loses track of the files on it (movies for the kids in the car)
7) I either have to sit up straight to type with two hands or type with one hand and move that hand back and forth like mad since the keyboard is too damn big for one hand typing and too damn small for two hand typing.
8) I can write programs on it unless I use remote desktop to a PC or a Mac and then try desperately to use a tablet with either of those via remote (SLOW!!!)
9) If I want to save an MP3 file from the net to the device, I have to plug it into a computer. Can't do it directly.
10) I can't type on it for shit since I can't feel the keys. You shouldn't have to see the screen to type. Even if you do need to see the screen, your neck will break eventually since you have to look down at the screen with the keyboard on it to see what you're typing.
11) It can't play the Mac or PC games, only iPad/iPhone games. Kinda lame.
12) If you don't use headphones and a remote, you can't listen to music and play a game most of the time since starting many games stops the music, so you exit out and start the music again, the go back into the app which stops the music. You need the remote on the headphones to start the music once the game is running.
13) Most web sites with iPhone content insist on sending shitty half asses iPhone web pages to the iPad which makes the letters HUGE and everything is formatted as it's laid out for a 90 year old lady who hasn't bought new glasses since Hoover was in office.
I can go on for a while. But, what I use the iPad for is to avoid running down my iPhone batteries when I read books from the Kindle app to my kids before bedtime and I use it to keep my coffee cup from leaving rings on the coffee table.
Oh... then 3 months later, Apple releases a new version which effectively jacks the specs on the new one SO much that app developers will now write great apps and games for the new ones and either not bother with the iPad 1 OR they'll suck balls because they won't be optimized for the iPad 1. So, before I really even get used to using it, Apple has nearly obsoleted it.
Next time, I hope the boss just gives cash instead.