back to article Extended Lord of the Rings Blu-rays to hit Blighty

Fans of the Lord of the Rings saga will be eager to know the Blu-ray version of the Extended Edition of the trilogy will be released in the UK on 28 June. Warner Home Entertainment announced the 15-disc box-set, which will include the special features from previous releases - six discs from the Extended Edition DVDs and three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Lottie

tytul

After the Limited Extended Edition has been out for a couple of months, will we see the Extended Limited Edition boxed set and subsequently, the Ultimate Extended Limited Edition.

Maybe they're in a race with Bladerunner for the most number of reissues?

2. Stuart Duel

Lazy, greedy

What is the point of including the extras on DVD instead of Blu Ray? Were they too lazy to remaster and rejig the extras? Or did they have a bazillion left over extras discs from the first pressing they needed to get rid of?

As someone else pointed out, wait a few years and there will be a remastered 3D version. A few years later there will be a super edition containing everything from The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy.

No doubt a few years after we can roll our eyes at the news that Peter Jackson has secured the rights to the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, and yet more rounds of re-re-re-re-re-releases.

Hopefully Jackson will have the good sense to leave the Middle Earth prequel and sequel knock-offs well enough alone.

3. TelePom
    Thumb Up

Hmm

I'll stick with my text-only version. The visuals are amazing, and the whole lot can be squeezed onto a Kindle with zero compression.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

High Duffinition

Better bitrates still can't make Elijah Wood act, Sam Gamgee get thinnner (despite a year in the wilderness he's still a bloater?!), or put the story back together properly instead of it having been butchered to keep it simple for the kiddies >:-(

5. ravenviz Silver badge
    Joke

LoTR Summarized (for free)

"Two short people go for a walk for a year, which we then find out they could have done on a big bird in half an hour"

The End.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/153157

6. Jessica Werkz

@Kevin Fairhurst

"Did you read the article, or did you just summarise from someone else's comment on a web forum that someone had posted after reading a blog about his mate in the pub saying that ...."

No I read it in the printed version of Which.

1. Kevin Fairhurst

So can you

confirm that the printed article is the same as the online one I linked to?

1. Jessica Werkz

@Kevin Fairhurst

'confirm that the printed article is the same as the online one I linked to?'

Why would I want to do that, I know what I read and it didn't read well for Blu-ray disks.

Whether you believe me or not I'm not really bothered. In fact it's probably easier for you not to believe me and instead believe that it was some pub trash talk. OK.

1. Kevin Fairhurst

@Jessica Werkz

Your post on here suggested that according to the Which article, people were buying BluRay discs and receiving DVDs instead, with an adjusted White Balance. There was a claim that the suppliers knew this and yet had received no complaints. I was not saying that I didn't believe you, but as an owner of several BluRays (some still unwatched) I wanted to know which 12 were really DVD discs so that I could kick up a stink and get my money back!

The first few words in the "pub trash talk" comment asked if you had read the article yourself. I asked this because Which articles can be notoriously unavailable to non-subscribers, thus preventing us from going back to source and validating your comments (and finding out which of our discs may really be DVDs).

The only Which article relating to BluRay / DVD comparisons online (which I linked to) painted a different picture to your comment. The discs received *were not DVDs* although for several of them (8 from 17 tested, not 12 as per your comment) the improvement in quality was not really significant or noticable when compared to the DVD. This is different from saying that the consumer had received a DVD in a BluRay case!

The Which article that I found did not backup your claims, which is why I had hoped that you would confirm whether or not the online article in question was the same as was in the printed article. You say you know what you read, but if it was the article I linked to, then it appears that you are giving a false impression of what you read.

Five of the discs tested were found to be "outstanding [...] far superior to their DVD equivalents". From the remaining 12 (is that where your figure came from?), four were found to be "a significant improvement on BluRay [...] significantly better than the DVD versions".

Of the remaining 8 discs, "A significant proportion of the Blu-ray discs on test failed to offer a significant improvement over their DVD equivalents, even though they tended to look superior. In some cases this was thanks to the high-quality picture of the DVD itself."

So the BluRays tended to look superior to the DVDs, although the improvement was not actually great enough to justify buying the BluRay over the DVD.

At the end of the day, while not supporting your claims, this article doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. i.e. that money grabbing studios will rush out any old shit transfer on to BluRay and sell it for £25 to try and con gullible Joe Public out of his hard earned beer tokens. It was the same when DVDs first came out, and it will be the same when the next technology emerges. Caveat Emptor!

7. Peter 48

how much better will it be?

considering the Extended edition dvds are probably some of the best quality released out there and look phenomenal with a decent upscaler, I would need to be seriously impressed by this bluray release to bother with it. I honestly can't see how they could look or sound any better than the dvd release.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.