back to article Bloke with hammer fixes London's Olympic clock

We're delighted to report that London's high-tech Olympic chronometer is once again counting down to the opening of next year's celebration of performance-enhancing drugs sporting excellence. The OMEGA London 2012 countdown clock clapped out yesterday less than 24 hours after it was switched on to a backdrop of fireworks, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

but but...

he has the barriers up with the stripy tape!

I always wonder why such a little thing as a bloke with a hammer would require so much elf n safety.

1. Matt Hawkins
    Alert

Let's Snuff The Olympic Flame

How is it we can't even get a digital clock to work these days? How much of our money was spent on something that most people could build themselves with bits from Maplin?

Why are they using Apache/SQL when all they needed was a £1.99 digital watch?

Just another bit of the rather expensive white elephant that is the Olympic Games. If people want to watch some people running round a track then fine. But please make the ticket price reflect the true cost of organising the whole thing.

Haven't we got better things to spend our tax money on?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Only in Britain

Would we win the bid to host the Olympics, right in the middle of a global financial meltdown, host it in the shit-hole of London where everywhere is still being built and the place is already full and over-priced, and then have a clock to countdown break day 1.

Welcome to the arsehole of the world.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Only in Britain

Oh, *do* fuck off.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

"Welcome to the arsehole of the world."

Were you looking in the mirror when you typed that.

3. John Goodwin 4
    FAIL

A frank admission, straight from the horse's mouth

I admit I was bored yesterday, and wrote to Swatch Group asking why their clock was crap.

Dear Mr. Goodwin,

Thank you for your message of yesterday evening.

Yes, it is embarrassing, especially as we are the timekeeper of almost all the Olympic Games since 1936 and have proven time after time how accurate we are. But mistakes happen.

The important thing is that we fixed it.

Best wishes from Switzerland,

Béatrice Howald

Head of Media Relations, Spokesperson

The Swatch Group Ltd.

Seevorstadt 6

CH-2501 Biel/Bienne

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

OMFG

You've been "goodwinned".

4. Andrew Jones 2
    WTF?

re: overcomplicated?

I still don't understand this - and I reckon we should demand a detailed technical explanation as to what exactly happened we did after all pay for the bloody thing / will pay for the bloody thing.

As a programmer I can only see 2 things that could of gone wrong.

1) it crashed.... Christ knows why it would - but it could of.

2) the function that stops the clock from counting down when it reaches 0 so we don't see negative numbers has a glitch / misplaced comma / alcohol induced lazy arsed coding error.

I would however like to know WHY the clock stopped and what they have done to stop it from doing so in future.

I'd also quite like to know what the point of it is in the first place too - but I guess we won't get a satisfactory answer to that one. They will probably say something like "it is to remind you" yeah - because with the amount of news it will be taking up in the coming months - it will be SO easy to forget.

5. Christoph

Did they get the clock from NASA?

Every so often it stops counting down and goes into a built-in hold.

6. Equitas
    Thumb Down

Omega service .................

must be provided by the manufacturer. Hope they did that one under warranty!

7. John 62

countdown to when?

They couldn't decide if they should have done the countdown to 2012 or 2013

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Swatched?

I thought it said Snatched....as in victory from the jaws of de feet. Although I didn't know de feet had jaws. I'll go have a lie-down now.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

While we're at it

Can they add a counter for counting up the cock-ups 'til opening day? I think 5 digits should suffice...

10. Martin Usher
    Happy

Shouldn't it be flashing "12:00"?

It would be so fitting....

11. Mips
    Jobs Horns

Press the Reset!

Plenty of opportunity to comment here:

"next year's celebration of performance-enhancing drugs sporting excellence." Yeh. That's what the clock needs: enhanced performance. Hur. Hur.

"developed by our experts and fully tested", as a Swatch spokesman put it. But will you ever get it on your wrist?

12. Flat Phillip
    Happy

2012 logo

Why does it have a stylised australia in the top right corner? The blob with the rings on it sure looks like to me. Tassie's a bit of a worry though.

13. Chika
    Happy

A man with a hammer and his youthful sidekick?

BOFH and PFY? Surely not!

14. ShaggyDoggy

5 digits !!

I've figured out (groan) why a 500 day counter has 5 digits.

It doesn't go to zero, it goes to a display of "TODAY"

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.