back to article Apple fanbois leak secrets of Mac OS X Lion

Details about Apple's upcoming Mac OS X version 10.7, code-named Lion, are flooding the web despite Cupertino's ban on such information being released by developers toying with the beta that was made available to them last Thursday. Steve Jobs revealed few details about the OS when he announced it at a "Back to the Mac" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm Green button.....

The Green button is a zoom button, NOT a maximise button.

I know its a small difference and not everybody likes it. Its works for me.

By zoom, what I mean is the green button increases the size of the widow to fit the width of the currently displayed document.

It is nice that they are doing proper resizing now, that is a very annoying issue

1. ThomH

@AC

I took fullscreen apps to mean frameless, game style. Which obviously are already trivially easy to produce, but so is any possible interpretation of a fullscreen application.

Obviously you're right about the zoom button.

1. Dan Wilkinson

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits

I don't think that the fact that Full Screen is available is the thing to take away, it's more the fact that you can still switch around to and from full screen apps to normal windows and so on using standard gestures, without having to alt-enter an app out of full screen for anything. It's just wrapping it all up formally within a defined method. I have yet to test this with 2 monitors, but I believe it will stop the whole 'full screen one app and lose your other monitors problem' that is prevalent on both the windows and mac machines I use - often when you full screen an app your mouse becomes constrained to the boundaries of that app. Not any more, I hope.

1. ThomH

@Dan Wilkinson

That would make sense. The mechanism I tend to use, which I think is a defacto standard, is to get the relevant screen that the window I want to go fullscreen from is on, create a frameless window of that size and position and promote it to frontmost. That should be multi-monitor aware but doesn't always create the nicest switching behaviour. Giving us a proper way of doing it is probably sensible, but it'll be a bit odd if that's an on-the-box sort of feature.

2. Mark Serlin
      Jobs Halo

Yeah but how much is Win7?

£80? Makes this look cheap, and I'd happily pay £25 for the resizeable window thing. welcome to 1986!

1. Dan Wilkinson
        WTF?

Which One?

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Retail (Green) 32 & 64 Bit

£115.07 inc VAT

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - Retail (Black), 32 & 64 Bit

£170.48 inc VAT

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium UPGRADE DVD, 32/64Bit, Retail

£79.28 inc VAT

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Retail (Blue), 32 & 64 Bit

£164.48 inc VAT

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, Operating System, Single, - OEM £134.48 inc VAT

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit, Operating System, Single, - OEM

£72.08 inc VAT

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit, Operating System, Single, - OEM

£106.88 inc VAT

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, Operating System, Single, - OEM

£105.68 inc VAT

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Operating System, Single, - OEM

£138.08 inc VAT

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
          Pint

Which one?

Debian Linux, Workstation £0.00 inc VAT.

Debian Linux, Server £0.00 inc VAT.

Go Ubuntu if you really need simplicity. Still £0.00 inc VAT. by the way. :-)

I'll drink to that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Grenade

Re: Which one?

You forgot the cost of "WTF time".. when you load up Ubuntu and then think WTF how does this work and spend days trying to get your wifi to work, so you can then download drivers for your printer, scanner etc to work. without resorting to jerking about in a command prompt.

I'd happily pay £150 for software that works straight out the box, life is to short.

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Backwards Mac

So not only are they getting rid of Rosetta, so software purchased <5 years ago such as Office 2004, older Final Cut, music production programs are no longer executable.

But they're trying to make OSX more like iOS?

Why try and dumb down to a mobile operating system level?

A desktop OS has different UI needs to what a mobile phone / media player UI needs.

And no Java?

What I used to like about OSX was the plethora of Open Source software available for unix that could run on it. Now if it isn't app stored and approved by St Jobs of California then it is frowned upon (and I'm sure in the future release of OSX Hyena will be blocked).

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Java...

will be available for free, on demand from Oracle, the people responsible for Java.

"Now if it isn't app stored and approved by St Jobs of California then it is frowned upon (and I'm sure in the future release of OSX Hyena will be blocked)." You don't have to like te changes in OS X, but making up this sort of bullshit is just pointless trolling.

2. Syntax Error

Zilch

Apart from the encryption this sounds like a minor update from a computing point of view and an advancement in turning my Mac Pro into an Ipad. We'll have to wait and see when it officially comes out whether its worth the upgrade.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WOW!

Wow, the list of leaked features is truely mind-blowing!

I doubt even the most urber fanboi managed to pop one off to that list!

Oh yeah, auto-save & resume, oh yeah, Drop... i mean AirBox... sorry AirDrop, oh God yeah, full screen apps... yes baby, multi touch me baby... mission control, we have.... ....flopped. lol

1. Monkey Bob
      Coat

@WOW!

iFap

iCoat please!

4. Dan Wilkinson
    FAIL

Bootlegs

I can't believe you are suggesting people download bootleg versions of this, and providing links and instructions for how to do so. OK, we get it, you hate the Apple ignore you and like to goad, but would you have done this for a new Windows release, bearing in mind they have heavily advertised (and co branded colour schemes) on el Reg?

If nothing else, you could see fit to mention that if anyone wants to try it, they can do so by joining the Mac Developer Program for £59 also.

Stay classy.

1. James O'Shea

you don't need to join the developer program

or at least you don't need to pay up. I'm in the free end of ADC and I just got a note from Apple (well, it arrived last week Thursday) which I haven't replied to yet which is why I can say stuff... not everyone in the free end of ADC is getting the seed, and I don't know how they pick those who do.

1. Dan Wilkinson

Hmmm

Perhaps you have got their attention by posting bug reports or something that makes it look like you are active enough to bother. I was in the fre for all area for years, but I stumped up after the announcement to get it. If I am right, so long as I use the machine for development (I will, a bit...) I an entitled to a free license and download of the latest OS anyway, so it may actually save a little.

5. 88mm a.k.a. Minister for Misbehaviour
    Paris Hilton

Slow mouse

I like the windows resizing from any side corner, I really do. It will save me quite a few man hours over the course of a year and help reduce my forearm trigger-points. But have they found a way to speed up the mouse before logging in on a multi-user system. Seriously, I have a 30" display and the mouse pointer is up on the top left corner before logging in. It takes about 5 strokes of my trackball just to reach the centre of the screen.

Paris, because she knows balls about stroking Jobs

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Pint

Underwhelmed

Rosetta will probably still be available at least for the plethora of devices that (Canon, Oki, etc.) than package drivers with it. Otherwise a fuck of a lot of people will either not pay out or not read the small print and be fucking angry. Quite possible that a restricted set of Rosetta will still be around and available for download.

Some nice things in there but given that Snow Leopard was apparently only a minor update (with things like Grand Central and CUDA) and this will be two years after Snow Leopard I can't help thinking that something is missing. Support for the ARM toolchain is probably the elephant in the room so that "compliant" applications can be easily cross-compiled for Mac OS and iOS.

Mac OS is still a really nice platform to work with so I don't feel any pressing need to jump ship but I will be installing PC-BSD 8.2 on a separate partition and probably buy some kind of Android 3 based notebook once the teething troubles are solved.

7. Steen Hive
    Joke

But will it work on the most important platform?

Hackintosh, natch ;-)

1. jaygeejay

Eventually

It's being worked on... I gather.

8. TRT Silver badge
    Alert

Applescript

Doesn't that rely on Rosetta?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like