back to article IT grad claims £5m for crap degree

A graduate from the University of Bradford has had his case to get his degree upgraded thrown out of court. Tony Chinedu Wogu got a 2.2 from Bradford after completing a two-year HND course elsewhere. Unhappy with his "drinker's degree" Wogu went to court claiming discrimination and seeking £5m compensation and a better grade …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Cazzo Enorme

No sympathy

I wonder if he's playing the race card, as the other complaints - outdated equipment and crap lecturers - are typical of most computing based university courses. I can't believe he really would have put up with being treated differently to white students without kicking up a fuss well before now, and having friends (white and Asian) who studied at Bradford I can't believe the majority of his fellow students wouldn't have kicked up a fuss as well.

As for a 2:2, that's what I got (in a humanities subject no less), and I'm now senior programmer for a large IT company. I've also been involved in recruitment for IT staff at several companies, and they've never insisted on a computing related degree, nor have they considered one a sign of competency.

2. envmod

lol

africans

3. Valerion
    Thumb Up

Legal fees

Just enrol at another Uni, get a Student Loan and use it to pay the fees.

When he screws up that course too he can have another at sueing!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a...

...2.2 (my own fault, too young, too immature, felt pressured into attending Uni to picked the first thing and hated the next three years). But I have a good job, after a while the degree means dick and it's experience/relevant post-degree qualifications.

The only problem is when recruiters demand a CompSci 2.1 or higher for no real reason (then again, I have little time or patience for recruiters).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

2.2 isnt that a Froyo?

see title

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Phew!

The judge agreed with this description and threw the case out. He said the court had no power over academic decisions, nor the expertise to judge if they were correct or not.

Bet lots of Universities are relieved about this ruling

Totally off the point should it be "or" instead of "nor" sort of seems like a double negative to me.

(AC because guess where I work!)

1. Mark 65

Power

If the court has no power over the decision then why did the case make it that far? Just curious.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got mine after I got the job

Worked for mine after I had the job. Made it to a 1st class honours BSc in computing but that has had no effect on my career path so far...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

He's full of shit

I don't even have an Honours degree, and I make a good living working in IT. If he has a 2:2 and can't find IT work, he isn't trying all the angles.

What does he want, to go straight into a top-tier, high-flying, 100k/year job straight out of uni? Never gonna happen.

Additionally, as a black man, I'm fed up of seeing my fellows cry racism whenever things don't go their way. This isn't what the Civil Rights movement struggled for, dammit. Man the fuck up.

9. Shocked Jock
    Boffin

What a wastrel!

I can't believe that he was daft enough to work to get a 2:2!

Back in the day, I knew someone whose extracurricular activities were such that he was the only one to get a 3rd class - and then he went on to Harvard. (Money talks.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

education education education

I managed to get hold of a prospectus for some university oop north ands was shocked to find that on some courses you only need 2 GCSE's in English and Maths. This in turn would get you a degree of stupidity from the university of cut and paste. I flunked my O levels (remember them?) due to a lack of interest and really poor prep and attempted to go to college or a better school locally, but this wasn't to be as I didn't have high enough grades (I got a fistful of average CSE grades), so it was back to old skool for me. I re-sat a few GCSE's and in computer studies I wrote a kids counting program using user defined graphics, arrays, procedures (this was on a Beeb, younger types should google BBC B) and played a tune which I nicked from A&B Computing. I was told that this was far too advanced use of code for the GCSE. It didn't really matter as a month later it was decided that my education was to be terminated. The teacher concerned liked the program and took it home for his young kids. I've been more unemployed than employed since. Way it goes, I suppose.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.