back to article Apple Mac Mini with Snow Leopard Server

With Apple’s Xserve now discontinued, the only two Mac servers available are the Mini and the Mac Pro Server. The Mac Mini is Apple’s lowest-cost computer yet in its more expensive server incarnation it dispenses with the optical drive of its desktop sibling, instead opting for a second 2.5in hard disk. Mac Mini with Snow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Shaun Sheppard

Some of you are being a little too technical...

Imagine an average consumer, who works and has two kids, want's a server at home to stream stuff around the house, and setup logins for each person in the household. They could go out, buy a cheap PC or netbook type device, download a Linux distro, install it, and then configure it with a static IP address, spend hours setting up samba and getting the user logins/shares to work.

Not everyone has the time or want's to mess about spending hours of their precious time configuring and managing a server. The average consumer just wants something they can plug it, quickly setup and job done.

Sky + is important to many people these days, but you don't see people asking for dual raid storage just incase one of the drives fail.

Apple know fine well who their market it, and so far, they're doing a great job at catering for them.

1. Rob Moir

average consumer

I can't help thinking that the average home consumer doesn't set up a network login for each person in their house. You might, sure, but if you're reading the register then you're not an average computer user.

I love the mac mini I have at home as a media centre. I have the normal version sitting underneath my TV and it's great - silent, reliable, fast, plays everything I throw at it... but I don't see the point of a mac mini server like this for the home. Or for anything larger than a very small business.

2. SpitefulGOD
    FAIL

Dear oh dear

Lol... "server", I think we all get the drift and i think El reg is once again showing it's bias... £900 for a slow, non redundent "server" that's nothing more than an expensive media server. I would consider it for a 5 user workplace if it was £300

3. maclovinz

Not Correct

"Everything – that on a standard Linux server would be accomplished by editing config files – can be done from within a friendly, polished GUI"

I use Mac Servers, and love them just as much as (probably more than) everyone else...but what you said is simply not true. By saying this, it shows your lack of experience in administering Linux servers.

Have you not heard of Webmin/Usermin?

Otherwise, a good article outlining OS X's/Mini Server's features.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like