back to article Yes! It's the Reg Top 5 FUTURISTIC GUNS Thanksgiving Roundup!

As anyone with their finger on the pulse of our former transatlantic colonies knows, yesterday was Thanksgiving: a traditional American ritual in which families come together to celebrate the fact that they have plenty of food for the year ahead by eating most of it in one day, the while watching enormous men crashing into one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Intractable Potsherd
      FAIL

@Gordon Pyra

What is this "real life" of which you speak? I am much closer to retirement than teenage, and I agree with JaitcH almost entirely. The police use too much force that they are not sufficiently answerable for. They are *not* your friend (unless you are one of them), and do not want to be. The modern police force has nothing to do with that of 30 years ago.

I suspect that it is you that does not live in the real world - you are stuck in the past when the police were servants, not bullies with warrant cards.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

RE: @Gordon Pyra

".....I am much closer to retirement than teenage....." Yeah, sorry to break the news, Grandpa, but the revolution came and went, and it did sod all for the "working people". You just go to show that age does not guarantee wisdom or a freedom from prejudice.

".....The police use too much force...." Yet you think it fine to stab policehorses with icepicks, or throw marbles under their hooves? Any idea what happens to a horse when it falls over and breaks a leg? Tut, tut, I'll be telling all your equally stupid friends from ALF about you!

".....that they are not sufficiently answerable for...." Yeah, so where's that Independent Commission For Students That Throw Extinguishers Of Buildings then?

".....They are *not* your friend....." I don;t think they'd want to be the friend of someone so narrow-minded. Please do tell me the last time you had a "run in" with the Law?

1. Intractable Potsherd
          Badgers

I've never had a "run in" with the law ...

.. if by that you mean "when was I last arrested". I am a law-abiding member of society, unlike the police. However, in a previous life, I used to deal with the police a great deal (senior nurse on a psychiatric unit, especially on night), and I never came across one that had made any attempt to understand the mentally ill people they brought in. They were prejudiced.

I recently had a car stolen. I reported it within three hours. I was treated with suspicion by the policeman that came out, and the correct information was not passed on. It seemed to be that the copper was prejudiced because of where I live.

I am not, nor ever have been, a member of the ALF, but I do donate to the RSPCA - does that count? Regardless, if a horse or any other animal i being used as a weapon, it is the responsibility of the handler, not the person that defends themselves, if the animal gets hurt. The inhumanity is on the use of the animal in a way that it has no choice in, not the legitimate attempts to avoid injury by it.

I have friends who are ex-coppers - they trust today's excuses for public servants with total and utter contempt.

Overall, I still think you are willfully ignorant merely because you have some family that are in the police, and are incapable of thinking outside your indoctrination. However, you keep hitting them, I'll keep fielding them.

Stop

RE: I've never had a "run in" with the law ...

First off, can I just say that I do respect nursing and that I'd like to say thanks for your years of service to the community. However, I think you're a raging astynomiaphobic/dingbat.

"......and I never came across one that had made any attempt to understand the mentally ill people they brought in....." So, you expected the Police to all be top-notch psychiatrists as well as over-stretched coppers? Ever wonder why the coppers were bringing in those mentally ill people? Because they had no choice, because the psychiatric wards don't keep them in and when they end up out on the street the Police are the ones that have to deal with them. Pick your excuse, either poor doctors or health cuts, the results are the same, the only commonality is that the Police actually don't want to be dealing with the mentally ill as they find they can be extremely unpredicatble to the point of being a danger to themsleves and others, and also tie up coppers that should be doing real Police work rather than acting as the return mechanism in the revolving door of today's "psychiatric treatment in the community". Please try and pretend all those mentally ill people didn't have known issues with long histories, that they were all startling new discoveries to the local NHS, and that many should have not been out there in the first place. The Police have two choices - charge them with a crime and lock them away, or take them to the local head-shop and endure your prejudice. Which would you prefer, that they locked them up and got them lost in the prison system, where their chances of treatment would be next to zero? Or is it beyond you to admit that those coppers that brought in those patients in were actually acting in the patients' and the public's best interests. I suggest that before you take your next swing you take a long look at the playing field.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Thanks for the thanks, Matt ...

... in general, I loved my time looking after the mentally ill. It does rather take the sting out of your assertion that I know nothing about real life because I now have higher degrees and work in universities, though, doesn't it? I'll assume that you merely forgot the apology for accusing me of having a criminal record when I don't.

To save you further embarrassment, I'll just collect what I've said to you before, so that you have it summarised:

1. I'm from a service family - fire brigade and nursing, not police. However, I grew up in police/fire brigade housing and most of my neighbours were police officers, both uniformed and CID. My default position is to like and trust the police.

2. Policing has changed, and not for the better. There is a definite "them and us" culture, and it runs to the benefit of the police, not the public they are meant to serve.

3. I am now a legal academic, which I took up at least in part because I am tired of miscarriages of justice involving people with mental health problems, at least part of which comes from police putting clearly ill people into the criminal side of things, not the treatment side (i.e. arresting, not using place of safety orders). I do expect the police to know the difference.

Right - to answer your points. You missed the point I was making about the use of place of safety orders (incidentally, I agree with you about mental heath "care" reforms in general). Even when the police *did* know the patient (as you say, most of them are well-known to the various services) they tended to be heavy-handed. My best anecdote is getting a phone call at 3 in the morning when I was in charge of the unit, stating that the police were bringing in a "violent patient". Five minutes later, the lift came down, the doors opened, and a wall of blue uniforms shuffled out - six officers with a very small, well-known bloke who was known to be gobby in order to get a bed for the night. There was me and two female colleagues to greet them. "Watch him, he's dangerous", said the sergeant, handed the paperwork to me, and then all six got back into the lift! No attempt to see if we could cope, no history of what had happened, no "Goodnight All"! Brilliant policing, and only one of several similar stories that I and my then colleagues can report. Hence my concern that the police do not have sufficient people skills to do the job that they are supposed to do.

Regarding the "patient's and the public's best interests" - tell that to the three discharged patients that were lifted by the police and brought in merely because they were in the town centre when the mayor was due to show some other mayor around.

Regarding your comment about "should not have been out there in the first place", at least you are being consistent in your attitudes. At least, you seem to be saying that a person, once (or maybe twice) labelled as a criminal or mentally ill sufficiently to require hospital treatment, should always be treated as such. I may be wrong, and if I am, I apologise, but if it is your attitude, we have no common ground to continue discussion on that point.

Unfortunately, we are getting off the original topic here, and it is probably time to draw this conversation to a close because no-one else is reading this anymore. You have an attitude towards the police that I wish I could still have, but cannot. It may not be the fault of the individual police officers, but their management, but it makes no difference. I am (and always have been) a believer that it is better that ten guilty people go free than one innocent party be wrongfully punished. That is not changing with age (and, by the way, I'm not fifty yet, so less of the "Grandad, eh ;-)). You seem to lean the other way - let's just leave it at that.

Headmaster

RE: Thanks for the thanks, Matt ...

".....Unfortunately, we are getting off the original topic here, and it is probably time to draw this conversation to a close because no-one else is reading this anymore...." I would have thought the whole idea of these forums was to create debate, at least until the point where Ms Bee decides she's had enough and only lets you post about icecream. Seeing as firearm are used by our Police, and crowd control is a very current subject (though even I'm not keen on the idea of microwaving students), I'd say debates about Police attituide and the public attitude to policing methods are rellevant.

"......because I now have higher degrees and work in universities...." Ah, if only it were true! I have also got a degree and have worked in an Uni, and I don't think I've ever worked anywhere with more of a sense of detachment from reality (and that's considering I once did a six-month contract working for the IT Department of the Church of England!). Amazingly, after all your life experiences, your academic training, and your psychaitric training, you still happilly shovel all coppers into one little box as though they were factory-made in batches. I think the psychiatric term is deliberate dehumanisation, where your prejudices about a group of people that share a common trait (in this case a copper's uniform) mean you automatically expect the same behaviour of anyone sharing from that group. Newsflash - coppers are people too, they usually have very political views of a varied range, different beliefs and aspirations, and cannot be lumped into one box. Yes, there are "bad" coppres, but they are the minority. I don't assume all uni lecturers are clueless wastes-of-oxygen just becasue a few of mine were.

".....six officers with a very small, well-known bloke who was known to be gobby...." Yes, and was he being gobby with six officers in attendance? Part of policing is knowing when to call in re-inforcements to AVOID trouble. I have seen gobby individuals facing off a copper go very quiet when they see the riot van turn up, you might have seen the same if you've been out in one of our cities on a Saturday night. The trouble is sometimes they can't get the reinforcements and the gobby individual becomes a violent individual and someone - usually the gooby tw*t - gets hurt, because it's a lot harder to restrain a violent individual determined to cause trouble by yourself than with five colleagues, and people like you then grumble about "Police brutality". You also assume the coppers should have stuck around when I've no doubt your unit would have had their own security who are responsible for your protection, most hospitals seem to have had similar since the late 80's. If you were unhappy about your personal safety you should have asked your security team for help or asked the coppers to stay - they probably assumed a trained psychiatric nurse would be able to assess the situation and know to ask if they needed some help. Of course, it could have been the way you glared in hostility at them the minute they appeared which may have swung things to the "f*ck that for a laugh" option.

".....At least, you seem to be saying that a person, once (or maybe twice) labelled as a criminal or mentally ill sufficiently to require hospital treatment, should always be treated as such....." Yes, so when was the last time you saw coppers with the time to spare to wander around asking people on the street their medical history on the off chance they'd find a "nutter"? They don't. It is almost certain that the people they brought in to you were brought in for a reason, unfortunately for the mentally disabled because the public have called the coppers to complain about something they have done or becuase they are doing something that puts them at risk to themselves. Some coppers even use the offence of loitering as an excuse to get them in and out of the cold. I have known coppers that have stayed hours after their shift has ended, ringing round hospitals, hostels and even other stations so they can get a tramp or runaway a bed or a cell for the night so at least they're out of the snow. I dated one Jill that was known for it, so much so that her nickname down the station was Polly after the hotel maid in Faulty Towers. Whilst I suspect your job was not an easy one, you don't seem to have put any thought into how difficult a job it was for the Police to interact with your patients given their limited legal options.

".....I am (and always have been) a believer that it is better that ten guilty people go free than one innocent party be wrongfully punished....." So, you expect the guilty to be punished? So how do you expect them to get to the punishment stage without the coppers first arresting them? And, given that many people don't meekly accept the idea of being arrested (especially not Saturday-night drunks and anarchists at student protests), how do you expect the Police to do so without using some force? And then, how do you expect them to deal with armed drunks, like Mark Saunders, whom seem intent on death by copicide? In Mr Saunders' case, the options were zero - he was outside the range of a Taser and definately a truncheon, would not relinquish his weapon, had already fired it in a manner dangerous to the public (and the Police officers), and finally and deliberately aimed it at a copper. In that case, the microwave cannon that JaitcH is squealling about may have been the perfect option as a few blasts would probably have made Mr Saunders so uncomfortable he would have given up. Of course, it could also have pushed him into more shooting, but then that would have to be a decision made by the coppers at the time. In the event, Mr Saunders made an unacceptable threat to an officer's life by deliberately pointing his gun at him, so the Police shot him. Coppers have the right of self-defence too, you know.

You mentioned you watched the Police using heavy-handed and "illegal" tactics on the TV report of a student protest. The majority of students on the current demos in the UK want to protest in a legal manner, in fact they want the anarchists, vandals and other violent elements to take a hike because every time they show up the public gets a media frenzy of illegal "student" behaviour and that means the public are unsympathetic. The Police are happy to let the students protest when they do so in a legal manner, but when they stood back and assigned a small number of coppers, they had the Millbank Tower invasion, so you must be very obtuse to think they will be doing anything other than mass-policing of any ongoing student demos! A relative in the Met says the Police are chuffed that the organisers of the November 30th protest deliberately left the announced route and tried to escape the Police cordons as it means the Police now have a reason to question applications for protest marches from the same groups. And also because the frenzied pace of the march meant most students were too tired and confused to do anything other than slog along in the anarchists' wake! The November 28th protest at Lewisham Town Hall also did the student cause zero favours, it just made them all look like over-privelleged vandals. Several hours of peaceful protest got zero TV coverage, all the public saw was the footage of the riot.

All it would take would be some idiot following JaitcH's advice and crippling a policehorse (and if they do, expect said "heroic victim" horse to be on the TV news the next morning), and middle England's dwindling support for the students will disappear. And that's the homes for the majority of our uni students. We may raise an eyebrow at students breaking windows, tut at the stupidity of throwing an extinguisher off a roof, but injure one of Gawd's "dumb creatures" and the public's support nosedives.

/"Pedantic grammar nazi alert" as it's the closest we have to "ivory tower occupant detected alert" :P

1. Danny 14

kuffs

"I'm looking for a really big gun that holds a lot of bullets"

God bless you young man.

(I love that film).

All this computer controlled kit is great when it works and becomes a club if its battery runs out.

2. Juan Inamillion
    Thumb Up

@Black Box

Tidy.....

3. Gavin McMenemy

Factual Error

It was Val Kilmer who killed Alfred Molina over a game of cards.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108358/

4. E.
    Paris Hilton

But still no...

...BFG 9000.

Paris, because she knows the value of a big weapon.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Israeli ideas and weapons...?

- Corner shot: a 9mm or .45 in a special M16-size body that can be bent to shot 90º around corners while covered, with cameras on the scope. No more peeking around corners and getting shot. Really simple, but not really practical.

- Whats-its-name RPG-type weapon, that can be propelled by a regular M16 bullet to blast doors from its hinges, releasing the M16 afterwards for regular use.

- 'Smart' artillery shell with fins and guidance that lands anywhere a soldier can lock a laser sight, just like smart bombs deployed by planes. The trick was making the electronics survive the cannon blast and high-Gs.

- The same of the XM-25, but with 40mm grenade-size shell, and it could be launched by an M16 grenade-launcher. Either killing everything inside a bunker (delayed fuse) or opening a large hole in a wall (detonate on impact). Or something close to it.

It was showed either on Discovery or TLC, and all of them were Israeli ideas. 1 year or more ago.

6. John 62
    Grenade

District 9 weapons lab

First District 9 put me off prawns and now I read about gun labs and all I can think of is...

"No, sir, I will not pull de trigga. Sir, I will _not_ pull de trigga." **kzert**

7. Magnus_Pym

If you like weird...

And you wouldn't be here if you didn't. You should look at the list of nazi secret weapons. They didn't have an overall authority for wepons development and this allowed 'inventors' to tout there ideas aound all the different departments of war until they found a symapthetic ear. This lead to some amazing war tech but also some amazing duds.

See Dr Zippermayer's sound cannon and the Dr Porsche's MAUS. Also they had a shoot-round-corners machine gun as mentioned earlier in the comments.

8. Mips
    Jobs Halo

America of the bullet?

Hello!

Did anyone notice? American history apparently starts in 16th century. What happened to the 10 millennia before with Clovis points and all? Indians with bows and arrows and spears. South America managed a whole bloody history very nicely without a gun in sight.

9. Ross 7

<-- Doh, numpty

I saw "7.62x54mm5" and thought "wtf?!? The Russians are making ammo in 5 dimensional space?!?!" Then I saw the boot notes....

10. Craig 28

Re:Smart artillery shell

As much as I hate to give the yanks even more credit that was on Future Weapons and was the American Excalibur shell I believe.

Not that the Israeli aren't running a lot of inventive projects disproportionate to their size relative to the US of course, they just aren't the be all and end all. In fact it seems to me that most of their projects involve small arms rather than artillery and the like.

11. Stuart Halliday
    IT Angle

Back in the real world...

No mention of the ultra-secret EMP gun then?

Or maybe we should wait until WikiLeaks tells us about this wonder gun. Now that at least would be relevant to IT issues?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

metal storm

What, no mention of the outrageously excessive offerings from Metal Storm?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like