back to article Microsoft's Office ribbon hits Mac fans

Office 2011 for Mac hit retailers Tuesday with more crossover between the Apple and Windows editions than ever before — and that might not be a good thing for Microsoft. Microsoft's productivity suite for Mac fans dumps Entourage for Outlook and includes integration with the Office Web apps — the browser-based edition of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Outlook 2011 / Exchange 2003

An important thing to know before you consider deploying Office 2011 to your mac users, is that the new Outlook 2011 doesn't support Exchange 2003. You have to be on Exchange 2007 / 2010.

This came as a galloping shock as Outlook 2010 connected no problem.

Other than that, the ribbon is something that I'm getting used to. I think they've done a good job of refining it in 2010 and some of the new outlook features are really good.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Why upgrade?

What was the last new word processing functionality that you actually needed?

Enforced incompatibility, either via OS or file formats, are a shoddy basis on which to base a company's survival.

Gold badge

Maybe..

Maybe because Office for the mac usually lags behind the Windows version and each version for the Mac tends to bring them closer together.

Although Access is still missing.

Don't understand what the fuss is about.

I did not like ribbon at first (partly blame it on negative press and partly because it is different) but after a day with it I quite like it.

Biggest improvement is easy access to frequently used tasks.

Table manipulation in Word (adding/removing rows/columns, merging/splitting cells) is now straight forward. In Word 2003 it was a struggle.

In Excel 2007 the few VBA macros that we have (written for Office 2003) work without problems.

Gold badge

Matter of definition..

Your "frequent" tasks are not someone else's frequent tasks.

There are two major issues:

- invested skills in using an existing UI are lost, and retraining is required. That is a HUGE loss of productivity, that is not offset at all by any alleged gain in productivity. Try as I might, the new UI simply gets in the way even more than Clippy ever managed before I killed it permanently.

- all the automation stuff like properties and variables are now buried several menus deep, so anyone using some of the more extended Word functionality has to mine the required functions - if they haven't bastardised them in the process.

Now they've cut the last escape route (the Mac version) I expect a wholesale migration to Open/LibreOffice (iWorks is conceptually too different, more DTP focused).

If MS really wants to rescue itself it should throw out everyone in marketing (and by that I mean boot them out from at least 20 floors up), zap at least 5 layers of management and actually start using teh people they hired to deny the competition their intelligence. And then maybe, just maybe, the Titanic that it is would stop taking on water. Because it is sinking, slowly but surely. It's just so big you don't notice it too clearly yet.

Here endeth the lesson

http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/

We just bought this for 100 users cost £75

Thanks!

That's very interesting, sir.

I'm going to have a real squint at that, as we are just about to go from 2003, and have some very *ahem* talented users.

Ribbon ftw

The ribbon presents most common tasks in plain view, and the less common tasks tend to be found by clicking the little triangle in the bottom corner of the panel. These little triangles tend to mimic the old style menus, it is sheer ignorance that makes people repeat their tired rant about how the menus were better.

I've been using Office since 2000.

Gold badge

So multiple clicks instead of one.

That's almost as bad as the "hide items" feature in previous versions that would confuse Johnny End User.

Grenade

Installed Office 2011 Monday

And I like the way the ribbon looks. It looks much better than its Windows counterpart.

What I don't like, however, is Visual Basic for Applications.

Anonymous Coward

I like the ribbon...

...once I'd gotten used to it, and fixed the odd few macro's that didn't work after the office upgrade. The Quick Access Toolbar is also pretty nifty.

Many of my (and it does have to be said) more senior colleagues hate office 2007. We've had it for ages and they still whinge about not being able to find <insert command here> in the brave new world.

At which point i just point them to

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/excel-help/interactive-excel-2003-to-excel-2007-command-reference-guide-HA010149151.aspx?CTT=1

So they can reminisce about the old interface, while learning where the commands are on the ribbon.

IMO it's more a case of them not wanting to learn the new UI and appreciate the benefits. Classic change management issue there.

Unfreeze, Move, Refreeze

Stop

Here's hoping

Sod the ribbon, I just hope it's an improvement performance-wise on the execrable Office 2008 for Mac which is a knuckle-dragging sloth on my Quad Xeon with 4GB RAM. I hate to think what it's like on the average iMac.

Jobs Horns

Ribbing or Ribbon????

Furiouser than usual.... Re stupid people at Microsoft doing dumber than usual shit as an excuse to rename version X software as version Y, to keep the saps on the treadmill of success - mainly Microsofts, milking the cash cows.

If I am typing up a plain document - say like 50 pages of it. I need to see the document - not the Ribbon.

If 99.5% of the time I am looking at the document - and only 1/2% of the time I am actually doing clever menu based editing; then why do the STUPID SHITS at Microsoft call taking up 1/3 of the screen space, 100% of the time - an improvement?

I find it difficult to reconcile corporate moron crap with a bullshit sales pitch.

MS engineers and MS marketing department = Epic Fail.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017