back to article Jobs savages 7-inch tablet competition

If you've been putting off buying an iPad because you're waiting for a more-affordable seven-inch version, or if you've been considering getting an upcoming seven-incher from a non-Cupertinian source, Apple CEO Steve Jobs would like to set you straight. "We think the current crop of seven-inch tablets are going to be DOA — …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. M7S

If 7 inches is no good

should I stop trying to use safari on my iPod then?

Wouldn't want to upset him in any way....

3. Syren Baran
    WTF?

Bigger==Better?

So the iPad ist only 70% as good as a 12" WeTab or JooJoo?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Is a 7" screen more restictive than Apples $ inspired restrictions?

Obviously self serving twaddle. It depends on what you want to do with the device, 10" is too big to be truly portable, 7" too small for extended multimedia browsing. 7" probably quite good as a book reader (The deivice would be roughly the size of a paperback).

In addition to the 7" tablets already mentioned you also have a choice of a lot of cheap (sub £100) 7" Android devices. Archos's 7" and 10" Android tablets, (for under £300). Noefonie's 11" Meego Tablet (that also runs android apps.)(€449) etc

They are all cheaper than the iPad, they all allow you to use Flash and thus access the rest of the internet. ( The Meego tablet also won't tie you to a monopoly app store.)

So if you want a really portable tablet gat a 7" one, if you want one for surfing on the Sofa get a 10" one. If you want to pay a premium price, be restricted in only buying software through one vendor and not being allowed full internet access, get an iPad.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazed everyone missed this bit...

"Our potential competitors are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing"

Yeah, even if they double their prices, add 20%, take into account the pound to dollar direct switch of symbol and THEY STILL END UP CHEAPER.

1. ThomH

And people are accusing Jobs' arithmetic of being wonky

Announced price of the SIM-free 3G Samsung Galaxy Tab, with 7" screen: £529. Double that: £1058. Add 20%: £1269.60.

Your feeling is that £1269.60 is cheaper than the SIM-free 3G iPad, which also is £529?

6. Gordan
    FAIL

Don't look at the lawyers...

... look at the wookie!

(The South Park quote seemed appropriate.)

As an owner of a 7in 16:10 ratio Android tablet, I can say it is massively more practical than a 9in 4:3 ratio tablet. Yes, it is about half the size of an iPad, but this is an advantage in most cases. For example, the one I got for my girlfriend was based on the requirements she listed:

1) Must fit in my handbags. This mandated a 7in size.

2) Must have a resistive screen because capacitive screens are awkward with long fingernails.

And unlike a £600 iPad, the Anroid pad was £70!

7. PaulR79
    FAIL

Resolution fail

iPad 1024x786 @ 9.7", Galaxy Tab 1024x600 @ 7"

iPhone 4 960x640 @ 3.5", Galaxy S 800x480 @ 4"

Does he say the same about the Galaxy S and the forthcoming HTC Desire HD but instead accuse them of being too big?

It would be so much smarter of Jobs to consider how stupid he makes himself sound when saying such things. Granted I've seen a size comparison of the iPad and the Galaxy Tab and it does look a lot smaller, surprisingly so, but saying you need to sand your fingers down to use it? That's idiocy.

1. Matt_payne666

Sony for Resolution win!

4.5" and 1024x600! the UX1 - a very useable device! and fits in my trouser pocket!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Important word there 'current'

Apple doesn't *currently* have a 7" iPad but its rivals do. So obviously Apple is going to say that the competition sucks.

Apple will keep saying the same right up until the point they're ready to release a 7" tablet of their own.

9. Rogerborg

Hang on, they'll do a 7" iFad soon enough

One they figure out how to squeeze all the Magic into it.

10. andy gibson
    Happy

DOA Tablet

If it arrives DOA just contact the supplier for a refund or replacement.

11. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

Jobs:" ... our own battery chemistry ..."

This must be the reason why Apple had to swap out hundreds of thousands of batteries in Japan, and the cause of batteries exploding in Europe.

They also have unique requirements ... must not be left out in sunlight!

The REAL reason for using custom parts is to ensure a continuing flow of revenue from spare parts and repairs.

1. Ivan Headache

But that wasn't Apple's technology

It was Sony's.

12. James Pickett
    Jobs Horns

Exclusive

"our own battery chemistry"

Isn't that taking lock-in a bit far..?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jobs:"Look over there!"

I think Mr Jobs is always very careful about what he says and what he doesn't; and it's the latter that is most important! He chose to rubbish 7" tablets NOT smaller tablets!

Let's do some maths ...

the original iPhone display was 480x320 pixels giving 163dpi

the latest iPhone display is 960x640 pixels giving 326dpi but the UI is drawn double the size (in pixels) to keep the buttons etc the same physical size.

The iPad display is 1024x768 giving 132ppi

A 7" iPad would be 132 * 9.7 / 7 = 183 dpi; as Mr Jobs says, a bit high!

But an 8" iPad would be 132 * 9.7 / 8 = 160 dpi; pretty close to the iPhone!

Could it be he is deflecting speculation away from a smaller iPad by focussing on the 7" option so he can spring an 8" one?

Just a thought!

14. syntax_error
    Grenade

Size matter.

Does your 7" last longer than my 10" ? My d.. err my tablet is bigger than yours anyway.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My N800... (off topic)

.is starting to fall apart after about 4 years and is tending to useless as the web gets more bloated.

However, it's got wifi, bluetooth, skype, video camera, audio and video player, FM radio, maps (with external dongle) GPS.

You tube doesn't seem to work anymore. Other codecs also out of date :(

I'm wondering does anyone here know if hacking it is a possibility? Stuff I've found out there not too impressive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Some scope.

There is a Maemo community out there still adding stuff to the older Maemo devices. Garage projects to update the OS even to MeeGo that sort of stuff. Since it runs a version of Debian Linux there is scope for future use if enough people still want to tinker with it.

No sign of Nokia producing another tablet, (the N900 is smaller and a phone.) Meego is the direct successor OS, and I've seen a couple of other companies announcing tablets for that. Looks like Meego will be able to run both Flash and Android apps asd well as Nokia's QT based apps. Intel also has a demo of a nice looking Meego tablet but it will only be a reference design.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We create our own molecules!

"We create our own A4 chip, our own software, our own battery chemistry, our own enclosure, our own everything. And this results in an incredible product at a great price."

And I guess then Asus does not build apple's laptops for them, or foxconn the ip*ds.

Are they arranging each individual molecule in a way that they naturally want to form into the perfect form of an iPod and its larger cousin? Sounds like something only Steve would say..

1. Player_16
      Jobs Halo

He has a special way of speaking...

...so you'll understand ...especially IF you're a reporter. (His RDF easily affects them than mere mortals listening.) But on stage, his presence (visually), the RDF is in full swing.

Designed in California.

17. Bill Gould
    FAIL

Really?

" And this results in an incredible product at a great price."

O.o

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

18. Mahou Saru

Need small fingers....

for the iPhone too?

19. Markus Wallett
    Grenade

Who's Steve Jobs?

I've had the pleasure (and displeasure) of using and trying out virtually every tablet ever been made -- plus some of which are only two or three months away -- and I have to say that personally the 7 inch hi-res (not 800x480) 16:9 form factor has the most going for it, not only from a practical standpoint, but in terms of usability as well. Yes, the ipad is a great device and deserves all the plaudits, but I think Samsung have a machine in the Tab that could easily outsell the ipad, as long as the price is right, that is £399.

20. Brian Gannon

Too big and dated OS

I had the pleasure of spending the day using an iPad at an Apple event and have to say for me it was too big and too heavy. Also the iOS on a tablet seemed a bit crap to be honest. I don't mind it on a phone but for some reason I didn't take to it on a tablet. I would actually like to see Windows 7 phone OS on a 7 inch tablet, the icons on a home screen model of iOS and Android feels a bit dated to me.

21. Morten Bjoernsvik
    FAIL

Stylus????

I have for the last 10 years been using palm devices, now I've unfortunately moved on to Android, but I love using the stylus instead of my butterfingers. I would have loved seeing more stylus apps on the android, and also a place to put it on the device.

7inch is like heaven with a stylus.

And where is that grafitti1

22. Mips
    Paris Hilton

What's that you've got in your pocket?

A 7-inch tablet? Never heard it called that before. Something new every day. And there's me thinking you were pleased to see me.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like