back to article iPad spends 20% of time in bed

Among the interesting stats turned up by a new study of iPad usage is that 20 per cent of users' iPad time is spent in bed. That nugget was buried in a blog post by Stephen Baker, the NPD Group's VP of industry analysis, discussing his research group's just-released "iPad Owner Study." "It is obvious that the iPad form factor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what title?

maybe that 20% time is spent searching - if there was an app for that at the store?

we are after all talking about geeks here, right? so the chance of finding an actual living human person on the same bed is pretty slim already.

2. Paul
    Flame

ipad users and their excuses

the claim that apple invented the tablet, and revolutionised the whole thing simply makes me roll my eyes.

what amuses me is the number of apologies/excuses ipad users make for the inadequacies of the device compared with its cost.... some ipad owners even buy a case/keyboard combo, meaning they've spent more on their ipad + accessories than a reasonably netbook and can't do half of it.

I am even more amused by the way Samsung think they can sell their tablet for more than the ipad. really?

1. The Other Steve
      WTF?

Your brain hurts

"the claim that apple invented the tablet"

I don't think that anyone ever claimed that, but do feel free to prove me wrong.

"and revolutionised the whole thing"

Hmm. Total consumer tablet market pre iPad was what ? I mean it existed certainly, I personally own at least three from this era - then again, I don't easily fall into the 'consumer' demographic

Total consumer tablet sales post iPad are, well, Barclays Capital predict upwards of 15 Million units just of iPad sales by year end, and various sources predict somewhere upwards of 28 million sales in 2011. And that's just the iPad, add in the many other manufacturers rushing to market with Android or Windows based tablets, and that's a metric shitload.

And it's a market that simply wasn't there before.

"the inadequacies of the device compared with its cost.... some ipad owners even buy a case/keyboard combo, meaning they've spent more on their ipad + accessories than a reasonably netbook and can't do half of it.

I'm bored with this argument, it's fucking stupid and it isn't even logical. Apart from anything else it's rooted in envy, the price sensitivity whining always is. But aside from that it doesn't actually make any sense. Given the price premium (and it probably isn't as much as you think, but lets assume that it is for the sake of argument) do you honestly think that people would be prepared to pay it for a device that didn't fit their particular needs ?

What part of your brain has difficulty with the idea that people would be prepared to pay for a device that does some particular thing very well, but doesn't do others at all ? My bicycle isn't a jet ski.

What part of your brain has difficulty with the idea that people might own and use more than type of device ?

And lastly, STFU about your damn net book which can do everything. I have a net book, it even has a touch screen. I've hacked the fuck out if it to push it way past it's original capabilities. So the fuck what ? If you really can do everything you ever need to do on your net book then your computational needs are tiny. I couldn't manage my real day to day without the coterie of multi core boxen that live under my desk. Your requirements are yours, and yours alone.

But whatever. Calm the fuck down. Steve Jobs is not going to come round to your house and steal your precious net book, m'kay ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

In bed. Alone. ®

or soon will be...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

In the bath?

We discovered last night that our son uses his iPod Touch in the bath ... this was shortly after he discovered that it isn't waterproof and wanted to know why the screen wasn't working - STUPID BOY!

1. Player_16
      Headmaster

STUPID BOY? Must be the parents.

Well, time to give the iPod a 'rice bath'. Put it in a bag of rice for a couple of days.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Early adopters

So there is a corellation between early adopters, mac owners and satisfaction.

Select from:

a) Easily pleased

b) Well indoctrinated into the cult of Jobs

c) Both

6. Tom 38
    Troll

@Paul

Paul, let me try to explain this to you. I'll use short words so you don't get confused.

The ipad is not a netbook. It's not meant to be. It is both better and worse than a netbook, but not at the same things.

A netbook is much worse at things like reading ebooks, watching videos, listening to music, browsing the web, reading emails, using for more than 4 hours without a charge.

An ipad is much worse for looking at flash videos, typing long documents, having envious twatdingles stare at you non stop on the tube.

The choice is up to you, but please stop saying I'm an idiot because I made a different choice to you.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hmmm

My wife's got one and I'm not allowed to touch it for fear of misusing it, she has an iPad too...

( Sleepless in Sunderland! )

8. Colin Millar
    Thumb Down

@ Matt 89

Actually - iT seems to i that i&i are getting bored with iWars and that there are less comments made on iStories now than when the iPhone was iNtroduced.

iT does seem that the iFans are outnumbering the iDetractors though so maybe the naysayers have found another target and the iSayers can soon declare victory.

Now - some stats which analyze that would be much more interesting than "device on which people can read and listen to radio gets used in bed a bit".

9. Michael C

Not surprised at all

considering some 90% of my casual reading is done in bed, I'm not surprised a device that doubles as an e-reader gets that attention. Also ,watching TV in bed before nodding off, I could get a few last e-mails read, check a social site, or just game idly while the news is churning through uninteresting content or the wife is watching something boring.

When considering an iPad (which i have yet to acquire), putting the charger in the bedroom was one of my first thoughts as I naturally assumed it would be used about 20-30% of the time in bed and 50+% on the couch. I honestly assumed it would rarely, if ever, actually leave the house except on long car trips.

10. D. M
    Grenade

My job is to help lusers, mostly fix PEBKAC.

1. Been a geek is not what you do for living. Geek is made part of knowledge and part of attitude. A geek does not accept been "forced in walled garden". A geek breaks limitation. If you let Steve tells you what you can and cannot do, you are a sheep, not a geek.

2. Who said netbook has to run Windoes? You load a good Linux distro, it has all the apps you need with a few mouse click, auto update, and does everything you wanted it to do. At least netbook has a proper keyboard you can use. 100ish Gb hard drive is the bare low end these days. It is enough for general use. And it can connect to external USB drive easily.

3. People buy stupid expensive useless stuff all the time. Look no further than many of products targeted women. Men don't get much better, a lot of things we buy are pointless.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Been[sic] a geek...

means that you should know how to use the 'Reply to this post' button too.

But seriously, you are talking bollocks. No, really! The fact that you call your clients 'lusers' says it all. Yes numbnuts, they are your clients *even* if you work for the same organisation. Don't forget that you exist to enable them to to their job, not the other way around. The whole 'sheep' meme is just so tired and deeply unoriginal, it's the sort of thing that someone who cannot think for themselves would write.

2. The Other Steve
      FAIL

I was been right

Lusers, PEBKAC ? GTFU. Users pay for you. Without them you are nothing.

"1. Been a geek is not what you do for living"

No one said it was.

"A geek does not accept been "forced in walled garden". "

Oh I don't know, I've been forced in walled gardens a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sadly, they've cut the bushes down now.

"A geek breaks limitation. "

This is your first job out from school then ?

"If you let Steve tells you what you can and cannot do, you are a sheep, not a geek."

He phones me every day. But I regard them more as suggestions than, y'know, rules.

"2. Who said netbook has to run Windoes?"

No one.

"You load a good Linux distro, it has all the apps you need with a few mouse click"

No, it doesn't. Not by a long chalk. I need at least three OSes before I have anywhere close to "all the apps I need"

"100ish Gb hard drive is the bare low end these days."

I use SSD in /my/ net book.

"It is enough for general use."

No, no it isn't. For you it is, but not for me.

Well, I promised I'd show you mine, but I think just the tip, I don't want to traumatise you. A contract I worked on last year involved reverse engineering binary device drivers and my favourite hobby is classical cryptanalysis.

Breakin' enough restrictions for ya ?

Oh, and what's on my iPad right now ? Communications of the ACM and a shit load of PDFs about computational complexity metrics.

But don't tell anyone yeah ? It's our secret.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like