back to article Google pulls trigger on 'Instant' search engine

Update: This story has been continually updated with additional info from Google's press event. Google has unveiled what it calls Google Instant, a "streaming" version of its search engine that rejigs results pages in "real-time" as you type individual characters into its search box. "Today's announcement does represent what …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Gordon Pryra
    Stop

Whats the problem?

If you don't like Google, then go use Bing

Otherwise, stfu

2. John Geddes

Brilliant move by Google

Alongside the "we just want to help people get results quicker" angle, there is a subtler motivation for Google.

I am pretty sure that more people enter search terms from the General to the Specific than vice versa: people enter "Kitchen Worktops in Coventry" more than they enter "Coventry Kitchen Worktops".

By serving results before the customer has finished typing, Google are encouraging more people to act on a broad search term rather than a specific one.

That hands a gift to national/international operators whose sites make onto the front page of broad-term results an organic basis. So far, that’s not worth anything to Google. But everyone else will find themselves competing for Sponsored Links using the same few broad search terms, which will result in the auction price zooming up. That does make a difference to Google.

It will make life more expensive for mid-scale operators, who will end up spending more on Google if they want to keep their traffic flowing. But it might have even bigger impact on smaller players.

A small hotel in Coventry might have featured well on “Hotel in Coventry” – or might have been able to afford to buy a Sponsored Link for “Hotel in Coventry”. But with Google Instant, they will see a proportion of those searchers being tempted away by the listings that appear as soon as they have typed “Hotel”.

That small hotel will not have a hope of a front-page organic listing for “Hotel”. Nor will they have a hope of affording to bid for a Sponsored Link for “Hotel” (their click-through rate would be so much lower than a chain that their bid would have to be astronomical).

So, forget the disintermediation that we were told would be the result of the web. Google Instant is just one small step along the road which is forcing that small hotel to pay to appear on an aggregator site which can compete on a national/international scale.

(I don't live in Coventry, or run a hotel, by the way).

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

11 hours saved per second

11 hours saved... = 39600 seconds saved every second.

2-5 per used, take 2, suggests 19,800 users search per second.

That's lower than I thought.... or I could just be naff at maths.

4. STurtle
    Go

Works amazingly well

I don't get the whining here. I love the new instant search!

It is especially useful if you do not know the exact search term, e.g. if I look for information about something in Germany, it is sometimes better to use search terms in English, sometimes better in German. So I first type in the base term or name, and then try the English term - if I see that this brings the wrong kind of results, I just hit backspace and type the German term or try a different refinement.

On the other hand, when I know exactly what I am looking for then I hit "Ctrl-L gg <search term" and are not bothered at all by instant search. It's called "Keyword" in Firefox.

So what is the silly whining about?

5. SEG
    FAIL

And the point is?

Just tried this and it nearly made my eyes fall out. Trying to concentrate on what I'm typing in whilst also looking at the changing result pain is going to give me a headache. I will be using the extra seconds I save for taking some migraine tablets.

6. Alpha Tony

Bandwidth/ad views

Maybe I am being really dense here, but doesn't this mean that (once this goes live) if I type 'The Register' into Google it will effectively have performed 12 separate searches by the time I finish the sentence?

So this would presumably use 12 times as much of my bandwidth.

Also I don't use google advertising - is it all 'pay per click' or is some of it paid for by the number of times the ad is served? If the latter surely this is about revenue - They start serving ads the moment anything is typed in the box and as the word/sentence develops they serve different ads for each letter entered. Cha-ching!

7. ForthIsNotDead
    Terminator

A win for Google

I like how they have spun the story as though it's some huge benefit to the user. Of course, in actual fact, it's a huge benefit to Google. It means many more advert impressions per search term.

If I type "java netbeans platform" with the present system, google get one opportunity to serve paid-for ads. Now they get an apportunity for (possibly) every letter you type?

That means a lot more expense for the people taking out adverts, and a lot more money for Google.

8. ChristyA
    Thumb Down

Meh

Saw it. Hated it. Turned it off.

Wonder what the next stupid 'improvement' will be?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Mega Money

So does that mean if you type a 10 letter word in slowly it might do 10 searches displaying 10 sets of results = 10* the advertising revenue to google?

:)

10. Haku
    FAIL

Oooo shiny new interface!

That's neat.

Just one question:

How do you turn the damn thing off?

1. tardigrade
      Dead Vulture

How hard can it be?

Right next to the Search button. The bit that says "Instant is on", the bit that's in front of your eyes, toggle it to off.

1. Haku

But

how do you permanently turn it off on every PC you happen to use?

Just because something has been advanced beyond it's original design doesn't mean it's better than the original design.

More bloody eye-candy on the web :/

11. John Joyce
    Thumb Down

Instant?

Just means you get all that Google crap 2 seconds earlier? Why don't they do something useful like take all the spam out of search, so I don't have to go to page 48 to get passed all the ads.........

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like