back to article IT engineer fights spider with improvised flamethrower

An IT engineer who attempted to dispatch a spider with an improvised flamethrower ended up on the wrong end of his own can of deodorant, the Sun reports. Dad-of-two Chris Welding, of Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, explained: "It was about 10.30pm last night. My wife was getting ready for bed and suddenly she let out a scream. She said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Joke

Hmmm

You werent partaking of a few "fumes" before you went to bed last night were you by any chance?

Joke

The important question is

what is an IT type doing with a can of deodorant in the first place?

Inhaled Fumes

I think the daft twat meant to say "inhaled flames" and not "inhaled fumes".

The former is potentially fatal, the latter in this case probably only harmful to the spider.

Anonymous Coward

arf

In my youth I once tried lighting a lighter while I was filling it up. Whoosh. Me whole head engulfed in a momentary fireball. Decided to put up with the soreness (and it was f'ing sore) rather than risk the mockery from my dad.

Cant remember how I explained the lack of eyebrows though

Flame

Maybe Chris...

should have used Oxyacetylene instead ?

well his surname is Welding !

Joke

It's not quite Playmobil...

but you'll get the picure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE

Grenade

Some of us...

...drink deeply from the well of knowlegde, this geezer clearly only gargled.

Thumb Up

Do what I do...

The man's an idiot. He should do what every right-thinking bloke ought to do, which is to usher the family away, shut the bathroom door, wait 10 seconds, flush the toilet ostentatiously and emerge saying "Okay, it's gone now."

Never fails. Anon for the obvious reason.

Anonymous Coward

Good grief

What sort of spiders do you have in England that require such extreme measures? In the supposedly armaments-mad US west I've known men to deal with black widow spiders (poisonous enough to put you in the hospital) with a shoe or even a shampoo bottle.

I look forward to hearing what this gent does the first time he finds a snake in his garden, and hope that the wife, kids, and neighbors are safely outside the blast radius.

In Australia

the usual response is "Just wave your hat at it, it'll go away" when dealing with redbacks and similar critters. If it's not venomous enough to kill you quickly with (nearly) no hope of survival (eg stonefish, blue-ringed octopus, irukandji) it's not worth worrying about.

Mostly Harmless

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/insects-spiders/identification-guides-and-keys/spider-bites/

I just pick them up and chuck them out when Mrs/ Little Miss Cowherd start screaming. Never been bitten yet.

Essex

Is he blond, too?

Happy

Blond?

Not any more....

GJC

spider here.....

i am OK!

Black Helicopters

It was an Essex spider - the deadliest known to good taste!

In in Melbourne (Oz) we squash first, ask questions later. Flames are to be avoided, as you want to be able verify your kill before it verifies it's kill.

Although generally only if it's black. The brown ones are huge and would make an awful mess.

Icon: what else?

UPDATE: According to the Telegraph...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7973024/Man-blows-himself-up-trying-to-kill-a-spider.html

...the bathroom light was out and he tried to kill it just with the contents of the aerosol THEN lit the lighter to see if he'd hit it or not. That explains the fire engine and ambulance then. Still seems a bit odd though...using it as a flamethrower would be the obvious first choice to anyone who works in IT.

That explains things!

Really, just shows that the term "IT engineer" is an oxymoron.

A note for the future: Gas + Air + open flame = kaboom! (Methane at 5% to 15% concentration in air)

Shows how out of touch with the environment you lot are

Spider in the bathroom? Leave it there. They do good.

Wasp nest, leave it there, they do good.

What a bunch of wimps.

Pint

What a wimp!

He should have done what a real man would do (like me), and ran downstairs screaming for his missus to put it outside.

It's a win-win for all parties, the spider lives to fight another day, and I don't have to go anywhere near it.

The only time a man should burn his own knuckles is during a vigorous shuffle with said knuckles.

Pint icon to restore my manliness quotient. And a packet of McCoys. And a Yorkie.

Flame

Spiders with flamethrowers

First time I read the title I actually thought the spider was equipped with an improvised flamethrower. No further comment at this time.

I'll be honest

I can just about tolerate them if they keep themselves to themselves.

The one in our bin area outside would need a AS50 to bring it down though... But mark my words if I ever get my hands on one, he/she is getting it first.

It's bloody huge!

Try suck instead of blow

A while back I bought a Black & Decker Dustbuster rechargeable hand held vacuum cleaner. Among its many uses I have discovered I can quickly pluck any kind of insect out of the air or off a wall/ceiling - leaving no mess!

Anonymous Coward

Any news...

If he actually got in the end or not?!

Grenade

The reason for not using a flamethrower

I imagine he didn't want to flamethrower it to death if it was behind the loo as that would inevitably melt/weaken the plastic pipes and cause considerable problems and leakage.

So problably thinking himself very clever decided to gas it to death instead, I've done this to the occasional wasp that got into the house and refused to use any of the open windows/doors and had to be disposed off.

Sadly this appears to have exhausted his daily intelligence quota leaving him to then check the results of his deed in an enclosed space with a naked flame.

Happy

Another golden Regism

It's another golden Regism - "mitigate the effects of the fireball"

Thumb Up

Lol, loving the Starship Troopers themes...

Don't mind the little buggers unless you wake up in the middle of the night and see one of them absailing from the ceiling over your bed. Still, my venus fly trap likes spiders so let him deal with them :)

Flame

Incy Wincy

Incy Wincy spider climbed around the loo

Along came the Techie and wondered what to do

Out came the can and he spayed it all about

Out came the lighter and an almighty shout !!!!!

Pint

Post of the Week!

Absolutely BRILLIANT!

Sir, I salute you!

Flame

aerosols...

aerosols nowadays use namby-pamby butane and other boring hydrocarbons. In the good old days we had CFC-powered antiperspirant flame throwers that would etch glass when you lit it. I made a frosted circle on a window pane, with a small transparent bluebottle-shaped silhouette of where the fly stood.

TRT
Silver badge
WTF?

Aerosol deodorant?

WTF? She wanted it dead, not given the Lynx effect. Could've gone at it with a roll-on instead. Mind you, they do have 8 arm-pits.

Coat

maybe

Mordred was hungry.....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018