back to article MOON SHRINKING FAST - shock NASA discovery

Imagery from a NASA spacecraft has revealed that the Moon has shrunk significantly in recent times: indeed, instruments placed by the Apollo astronauts are thought to have recorded the rumbling, crunching sounds of lunar shrinkage carrying on in just the last few decades. NASA LRO image showing lobate scarp cutting across …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Hydrogen and oxygen?

They're even stealing your nitrogen, what with all the urea.

Anonymous Coward

It must be UK carbon emissions

Surely this is climate change-related.

Moz
Alert

Good Sci FI Plot

Obviously this is caused by a future version of the Large Hadron Collider that was sited on the moon and created a runaway black hole that is eating its way through time and space. Obviously.

Happy

I LOL'd - out loud even

"MOON SHRINKING FAST - shock NASA discovery

LHC-spawned black hole gobbling it from within?*"

That was the best RSS summary I have ever read - for real.

I think it's worth mentioning that I too sometimes experience shrinkage. Imagine swimming in -153°C water, a little shrinkage is to be expected.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Just our moon?

Doesn't the core of all planetary bodies cool over time, resulting in their volume shrinking slightly? I would expect to see the same effect on any other rocky planetary body whose surface has remained unchanged for > billion years (except for a few impacts).

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Boffin

Of course it was the probe

That probe was crashed to splash up water from the pole, to prove that there was water there, right?

So that water got splashed all over the place, right?

So it's obvious what's happened - the moon shrank in the wash.

Coat

Epic fail reporting

For deities sake!!

Can you please stop ruining all the good news stories by applying SCIENCE!!

I mean really, everyone knows that while there's no scientific proof, the LHC is responsible for all badness.

Boffin

Perhaps

My 1975 dissertation on the Rheology of the Crater Tycho was in fact correct, and gravity does suck on the moon.

(It was really a typing mistake in the flow equasions, but never let reality get in the way, science move forwards)

Gold badge
Coat

Ok, which arsehat was it.......

......that put it in on "90 - Cotton" rather than "30 - Wool, delicates and satellites"?

Astronomers

It's got to be the astronomers. Once they stop the moon lighting up the sky half the month, they will be burning down the electricity grids with huge cosmic ray burst over the next few years.

Then finally we will have wonderful dark night skies like our ancestors!

Pint

Sorry !

That's no moon . . . . . .

Grenade

Maybe their instruments are off

Could it be that scientists are unable to make any long term measurements that *DON'T* somehow trend in some type of terribly worrisome direction?

And yes, I'm referring to anything/everything global warming with that question.

/Anonymous because these fuckers are watching and taking down names for their enemies list: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=SourceWatch

Happy

prognosis

>>Could it be that scientists are unable to make any long term measurements that *DON'T* somehow trend in some type of terribly worrisome direction?

Of course. Extrapolations need to either indicate up, down or stable. Each is terrible, regardless of what the subject is.

Coat

Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be a

Moon shattering Kaboom.

WTF?

Nothing to do with LHC or Moon Bombing

Can't everyone see it? The problem is climate change, the moon is shrinking because of climate change on earth.

After all, every other single damn problem that exists is because of climate change or the politicians next gravy train.

Anyhow, it's POETS day. Jog On.

Troll

How can...

... the moon have shrunk over billions of years when the universe is only 7000 years old ?

11 years late?

Guess I'll have to get the Eagle started then. It better not vanish in the next couple of weeks, a colleague in the office would be even more of a nervous wreck if he had not ciggies, coffee or food during daylight indefinitely.

Silver badge
Unhappy

punctured

So we punctured the thing on the first bombing run. Quite impressive!

Alert

Great now there's a reason for a new Bruce Willis space movie

Global Warming? ... No it's far worse because it means we have Galactic Warming!

All those satellites, human "stuff" and space junk is causing space to warm ... we're doomed ... doomed!!

eeeh?

why are smaller craters considered newer? i thought the moon didnt have erosion etc.. i dont follow :(

Then what are craters?

It doesn't have the same /kind/ of erosion as Earth, and certainly nothing as rapid, but what are craters if not erosion in themselves? The moon is a very dusty place.

Coat

Lottie!

I actually misread your post as .....'the LHC is responsible for all baldness.'

And as a shiny dome head......I agree.

MOON LIGHTenING

Cheese technology is the way forward here, mine always shrinks in the fridge. Also applying a partial vacuum on cheese crumbs with the hoover causes a marked reduction in apparent cheese mess, sorry read mass.

Of course it is possible that the rest of the universe is expanding, as many scientistas claim, fine; but maybe the moon isnt expanding, there-by causing a relativity problem.

Alert

shrinkage

@eternal: The cheese in your fridge shrinks, and at the same time your room mate's tummy expands and his/her breath (and various other emissions) smells like cheese?

The real story here is that man-made CO2 is slightly lighter than natural CO2, thus it sometimes escapes our atmosphere and regularly sandblasts the moon into submission.

We have to stop burning fossil fuels NOW while we still have a moon that is visible. Heck, most of the time it is already hidden!

I'm certainly doing my part, next month I'll be back on the E85 wagon (actually it is a 2011 9-5 sedan, which is quite something as we are still in 2010) and also do my part to keep the population growth in check. You can all thank me later when, thanks to my efforts, the moon is still visible in the sky once a month or so.

Silver badge
Alien

The reason is....

Its simply a big cavern filling in. NASA had to hollow out the moon to build the soundstage where they shot the fake moon landings.....wait a second!!

Extraterrestrial icon, because technically the moon is extraterrestrial. Requesting a tinfoil hat icon, please!!!

J 3
Coat

What?

Did I miss it, or did no one mention that Gru from Despicable Me is actually behind all of this, with that shrinking ray of theirs? It's quite obvious, really.

nomination

I'd like to nominate this headline and sub-title for the "News of the World Sensationalist Headline of the Week".

Gold badge

@Lewis

That article was bloody excellent and you deserve some form of hero biscuit. Carry on sir.

Coffee/keyboard

Give that man a pint.

"Admittedly, romantic hand-in-hand evening strolls may become a trifle less satisfying for some, but on the other hand the werewolf menace will be appreciably reduced."

Bugger me, Lewis! Were you having a liquid lunch with Lester when you wrote this? I'm still chuckling about it 1/2 an hour later.

Welcome

The whole lunar farce is a NASA ploy

We all know that EVERY stinking apollo mission was faked and broadcast from some undisclosed soundstage. Who's to say NASA hasn't developed a time machine AND faked the whole existence of the moon?

I know my government and I sure as hell wouldn’t put it past them.

Alert

Cheeze Wiz and Rats

I knew that it had to be rodents that got on and off Apollo 13. Now they are eating the cheese beneath the surface of the moon.Litter of 12 pups every 25 days. second generation 144. Third 29736 and so forth. How long till they equal the mass of the moon?

Billy

The ASCII Guy

MNB

just a thought

over a billion (or so) years the moon has contracted by 0.005% (if I'm to beleive the previous posters)... could this not be simply explained by the moon cooling down? that is simple thermal shrinkage - no black holes, no clangers, no NASA conspiracy, just simple GCSE level physics

just a thought.

Gold badge

In all seriousness though...

some scientists have been reflecting a laser off a mirror some of the Apollo astronauts left on the moon, and they determined the moon has been moving away from the earth at about 2.5 inches a year -- well, the distance between the ground-based laser and the reflect I suppose. I would assume they would have noticed the ground dropping out from under it.

Worryingly, though, funding has been terminated for this as of 2009 -- MAYBE THE MOON DID ALL IT'S SHRINKING JUST SINCE LAST YEAR!! Nobody would be the wiser! 8-)

Coat

Cheese does this, not news

Exactly what Cheese does.

No surprises here!

Flame

@The Indomitable Gall

> Our hydrogen and oxygen will be slowly stolen, one toilet break at a time, until we have NONE LEFT!!!

It's already happening, although the black hole appears to be a little unstable:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/20/google_street_view_magic_toilets/

Grab a pitchfork and join me!

Joke

Thus proving the Evolutionists wrong again!

Yeah, um, just kidding on that. I mean, hey, they gave a wave to the Evolution-ignorant on Furturama, recently, so why not WOT it in now, after all? ><

Nothing to see here, in case you didn't guess....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017