back to article 1984's MacPaint source code hits web

Apple has donated the source code of the groundbreaking graphics app, MacPaint, to Silicon Valley's Computer History Museum, located in Mountain View, California. Accompanying MacPaint is the source code for its underlying graphics-display library, QuickDraw. You can download both from the Computer History Museum here — and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. DZ-Jay

Ah! MacPaint, how I loved thee

The father of one of my neighbors, and best friend of my youth, Dennis, worked as a sales manager for Xerox and always seemed to stay on top of the highest technology. I remember when one fine day Dennis' father came home with the most spectacular and beautiful thing I'd ever seen until then: A Macintosh computer.

Our only experience with computers so far was our very own Commodore 64's, and our various friends' assortment of Apple II's, TRS-80's, and even Dennis' dad's previous IBM Personal Computer.

I remember how I spent hours on that Macintosh, most of the time just staring at it. I did school reports, comic strips, and even an attempt at a nifty looking newsletter.

Of all the things I may have done, I specifically remember MacPaint; how easy, beautiful and fun it was. In retrospect, Dennis' parents must have been very tolerant, for I distinctly remember spending hours without end, even staying late most nights, just playing with that little machine; while Dennis himself was just watching TV, playing with his other toys, or maybe even out of the house!

The one thing that has remained in my mind thereafter, and is as clear today as it was then, was the unyielding and overwhelming feeling that THIS--that seemingly simple and unassuming appliance, with its graphical user interface, strange rodent controller, and beautiful form and function--was, indeed, THE FUTURE.

Gosh, what fond memories. Thanks, El Reg, for bringing them back.

-dZ.

2. Paul Hayes 1

OCP Art Studio

I remember that one! Had the Spectrum version, it used to take forever and a day to load (two tapes worth!). Was much better when I copied it onto microdrive. Probably the first time I ever used a mouse.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Deluxe Paint

I think Deluxe Paint would be alot better...

EA, please release the Deluxe Paint source (for the Amiga version, not the PC version).

4. Sam Therapy
    Thumb Up

Great app.

I loved Mac Paint and then later on the Amiga, Deluxe Paint.

I'll have to fire up the Amiga emulator and get Deluxe Paint running again.

5. jai
    Jobs Halo

nostalgia....

i was 9 when my dad brought home his FatMac from the office and set it up on the dinning room table. it was awesome, and i spent hours mucking about in MacPaint editing images at pixel level.

6. johnsibly

OSX lacking features that the original Mac had

It's funny that now that OSX doesn't even include a paint program for basic editing!

7. disgruntled yank

Hamm's Beer!

Wow, hadn't thought of that one in a while, perhaps not quaffed it in 30+ years.

i guess that Jasper Johns's sculpture of Ballantine XXX Ale cans has company in the hall of American art inspired by beers.

8. heyrick Silver badge

Reminds me of TimPaint

(on one or other of the Master series Welcome discs)

9. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like