back to article iPhone customers lay into Apple after iOS 4.0.1 update fails to install

iPhone customers are struggling to install Apple’s latest software patch and have been grumbling about the problems on Cupertino’s support forums. The company released its iOS 4.0.1 update yesterday, and immediately some users began complaining that they couldn’t successfully install it on their iPhones. “On a Win7 PC. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joel 1
    Thumb Up

Downloaded, installed, works nicely....

Well installed here (remarkably quickly) with no issues.

For a detailed analysis of the update, the marvellous anandtech does the business:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix/1

Interestingly they point out how the iPhone 4 works well with much lower signal strengths. So maybe the corollary of having an antenna that can suffer from attenuation is that it can work better at lower strengths.

By putting the antenna on the outside, there is the possibility of working with worse signals. However, you can also get your "bags of salty water" a lot closer to the antenna, so the attenuation is more.

Speaking as someone who lives in areas of dodgy signal, I am happy that there is a way I can hold the phone for maximum signal strength. Saves standing on the toilet seat hanging out the window to get that text to go....

Of course, now that I have a SureSignal, the problem has gone away anyway.... ;-)

2. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

Lemon Aid leaves bad taste

Why are seemingly normal, rational people unwilling to accept the fact that the fourth revision of this telephone a dud? They wouldn't accept a defective bar, television, etc but when it comes to a telephone not working they toss all their normal reactions out of the window and get defensive?

Many, including myself, stated you couldn't fix the antenna problem with software and now even some of the Apple supporters now accept Apple has failed (they have already admitted they have an 'issue').

But these people still proclaim they are satisfied.

Maybe I expect people to honour their word, their 'commitments', their warranties and had I any product that failed in such a spectacular fashion I would (and have done) bypass the supplier and sue. I have received two new cars in different settlement, a replacement $1749 bicycle and several monetary awards.

Apple has also treated customers with disdain and arrogance accusing them of not being intelligent enough to know how to hold these things.

Unless people stand up for their rights companies will simply continue cheat them of their due.

Meanwhile we await the pronouncement from the Lemon Factory as to what they are willing to do, without being directed by a court.

3. B99YYK

God Bless Apple

Not much been said about IOS4 screwing with 3GS and 3G phones which it is and has reduced mine to a parody of its former self.

Any other company would allow you to un-install crap software and revert back to a previous working version but Church of Jobs is not normal and make it as difficult as possible to do.

And people have been bashing Microsoft for years but at least you have an option with them when they cock something up.

Chances are that they will never admit its them they will blame the finger of god or the weather or a dust cloud or the little aliens for this bless em!

4. Electro Boy
    Thumb Up

Worked fine for me too.

Updated last night. No problems at all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

USB static interference?

That's a new one. Never heard that before!

1. Richard Reeve
      Jobs Halo

3G woes?

I was about to reply agreeing with you about my 3G running like a dog, but I've just noticed that it's actually zipping along much faster since the update to 4.0.1 this morning - it may be a coincidence, but I'm in a faintly good mood with Jobs for the first time in a couple of weeks today... I have won the victory over myself. I love Big Brother^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Steve Jobs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

RE: Lemon Aid leaves bad taste

"Why are seemingly normal, rational people unwilling to accept the fact that the fourth revision of this telephone a dud?"

This article has nothing to do with the iPhone 4 and everything to do with the latest iOS - which works perfectly on my iPhone3GS btw.

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

RE: God Bless Apple

"Not much been said about IOS4 screwing with 3GS and 3G phones which it is and has reduced mine to a parody of its former self."

Details please, otherwise I call BS on this as iOS4 brings added functionality but doesn't remove any.

1. Richard Reeve
        Stop

No really...

Up until today my iPhone 3G has been running like a dog - it crashes Safari every other time I try to load a web page, and it frequently can't even open Mail without crashing. Even when it succeeds it hangs for >30s (to free memory?) before allowing scrolling *every* *single* *time* I use it. Completely frustratingly unusable. As I said above it seems to be fixed now with 4.0.1...

4. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"..a defective bar"

What, one that serves horrid American beer?

5. Frank Bough
      Stop

reiteration of the bleeding obvious

"Why are seemingly normal, rational people unwilling to accept the fact that the fourth revision of this telephone a dud?"

Simple. It's because, whatever minor failings it may have, it's still far and away the best phone on the market.

6. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Boffin

USB static issues are pretty common actually

I've seen some really odd issues with that in the past - a device that happily takes the 'full whack' of static shock given in the EU standards, but dies if you give it a half-size shock.

The USB standard doesn't require the shield of the cable to be earthed at the host, which might be part of the problem - that's only recommended, IIRC.

Also, devices may connect the shield to 0v - again, it's optional.

Which leads to ground loops and all kinds of other fun and games - most other standards do specify exactly where and how to connect the shield. (And are then ignored by the cheaper manufacturers.)

For maximum reliability during reflashing I'd genuinely suggest that you don't touch either the device or the PC chassis during the upgrade - relatively large static charges can be built up quite easily.

I am however very confused by the concept of it 'bricking' due to a failed update though. Almost every firmware-upgradable device I've had experience with copies the entire update across into RAM, checks that it's ok and then burns the image into flash.

Loss of connection should just result in "Oh dear - upgrade failed. Please try again."

The only exceptions are the devices that have almost no RAM - we're talking really small embedded systems here, generally based on Microchip PIC or similar.

- Even then you shouldn't lose the bootloader so even if the device is a brick until a firmware update completes, all you do is retry the upgrade.

Any modern phone simply isn't that class of device - they've got RAM sticking out of their ears!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Ah!

So please Mr Blinkered-Expert, define "best phone on the market"?

To me, it's simply being to see the sodding display in sunlight, buttons that were made for adults and not a 5 year old's hands oh and actually being able to make a phone call without jumping through 17 menus to get to it. This isn't levelled at Apple alone, simply modern phones in general.

To my old man, it's a phone with the odd text message once in a blue moon.

To my kids it's ease of texting and nothing else.

To my Missus it's the phone and games.

You see just 'cos it's shiny and you believe the marketing BS, doesn't make it so. People are different in a million wonderful ways and we all like different things for lots of reasons.

7. BingBong

Search this then ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

6. Hipster Dufus
    Jobs Horns

Apple

It just works!

7. Bullseyed
    FAIL

Have yet to be able to determine...

...if Apple is paying retards to post positive comments on all these articles, or if the people are just trying and failing at trolling.

The point of trolling is to outwit your opponents, not to demonstrate a clear lack of knowledge on intellectual debate or statistics.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Works on my phone. No Problems here.

I cant reproduce any of these problems on my phone no matter how I hold it, and I got my over the air update without any usb hassle cant understand what these twonks are doing wrong? any way as I said my HTC Desire is just fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Does for me...

maybe i am lucky, or i actually have some apple products?

2. Lottie

Funny

I was thinking soemthing similar about my Xperia.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

RE: Have yet to be able to determine...

"...if Apple is paying retards to post positive comments on all these articles, or if the people are just trying and failing at trolling."

Since most of the comments on all these articles are from people who own no Apple gear, have never even seen an iPhone and are just slating Apple, it would seem that the opposite was the case...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's a wonder

you're still alive, if you don't think you can spot a really bad idea and/or patent dishonesty without personally suffering the consequences! One could spend the rest of one's life just listing all the different scenarios for you to die because you dismiss passive observation as a learning tool! But I'll leave that for someone else.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Absolutely!

Mine, I bite into it, it is crisp, tasty, a chunk separates, masticates like a pro (oo err!). Looks lovely too with the red blush and no blemishes (though I do wonder how much GM stuff I'm eating these days!).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Upgraded to iOS 4.0.1 on my iPhone 3GS last night - the upgrade process went absolutely fine, no problems whatsoever. I can honestly say, mind you, I've never had any problems updating iOS (or iPhoneOS or whatever) right from the days of my 1st Gen iPhone either. Nor, to be honest, do I personally know anyone who has.

I rather suspect this is all being hyped out of all proportion by people with hidden agendas...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Another one bites the dust

Great, rational, balanced, just what I for one want to see...

"I rather suspect this is all being hyped out of all proportion by people with hidden agendas..." and then you crock it. You are the one with the (not very) hidden agenda, which is presumably to deny that people are justified in being astonished, angry, sarcastic at an incompetence and dishonesty you could see from space, coming out of Cupertino this summer. And exasperation at their fellows who really do appear to be brainwashed.

I think it is time psychologists around the world investigated this phenomenon. Maybe it is the same one Milgram elucidated?

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

RE: Another one bites the dust

"You are the one with the (not very) hidden agenda, which is presumably to deny that people are justified in being astonished, angry, sarcastic at an incompetence and dishonesty you could see from space, coming out of Cupertino this summer."

I'm astonished.

The number of people with problems is less than 0.01% of the number of people who own iPhones.

It seems limited to certain Windows set-ups. It's a USB problem and my suspicion (due to having similar problems with different gear) is that it's a virus checker causing it.

"Great, rational, balanced, just what I for one want to see..."

..I wanted to see it too. It didn't come from you though.

Does any of that clear things up for you?

10. David McMahon
    Jobs Halo

Why did they release a patch...

To hide the wrong number of bars?

With the same duct tape used to protect to insulate the casing, you can just put tape over the bar indicators!

By 2025 Apple will have taken over the world so am adding this disclaimer

*****All Apple products are perfect, By order 2025 ©Apple 2025*****

11. LB

Ham-Man

Thank god I am not an apple user.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Me too...

I thank God that you're not an Apple user, as well.

12. Adam T
    Stop

How many is "Many"?

"Many customers have been reporting firmware problems with the update, which keeps spewing out ‘error 9’ messages."

Out of the 10 pages, how many unique error reports are there?

I've upgraded mine...wife upgraded hers (on her own comp), nobody else out of the five others i know with iPhone 4s had any problems.

So according to my market research, 7/7 people had no problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

OK

Well that appears to be a darn sight more testing than Apple have done lately!

13. Ian Davies
    Thumb Up

For the sake of balance

4.0.1 just installed quickly and without problem on a 3G

14. RB---
    Paris Hilton

Jesus Phone... More like Paris Hilton Phone!!!

Can you see the similarities? Good looks, no substance, always up to no good, ALWAYS in the media!

The Reg and the rest of the IT media must be so thankful for the iPhone and the story opportunities it presents!

ROFL!

15. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

not a brick

I love the people who don't know what a brick is -- the person quoted in the article claimed the failed install resulted in a brick, then IN THE SAME SENTENCE say they reverted to the factory install. If they managed to do that* they did not have a brick.

*(Without having to crack it open, connect wires directly to some JTAG header, or directly to a flash rom, or whatever...)

Anyway.. *shrug* I won't even give Apple any grief over this. Frankly, Windows USB stuff is fickle, I usually see it work fine, but have seen it not work fine (for no good reason) often enough to not even bat an eye at this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Heart

RE: not a brick

"Frankly, Windows USB stuff is fickle, I usually see it work fine, but have seen it not work fine (for no good reason) often enough to not even bat an eye at this."

At last, a word or two of sense!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE:RE: not a brick

Yes, but it is still bad to run the update over the USB.

I put the Motorola Phone Tools on Windows7 last night, to back up my pics prior to wiping them and had to 'reinstall' Internet Deplorer to run it's update! Well, I always figured Mobe Co.s are a bucket of shit when it comes to software. But why would Apple be too? They actually have vast experience doing SW.

OTH QuickTime. Safari. iTunes.

Hmm. When I built my non-interactive XP installation disc many moons ago, I made the company name "Microsoft Despisers". And yet Apple make them look good.

2. LinkOfHyrule

And...

Some fanbois even get sexually excited when iFixit do a teardown of a new Apple product - its the tech equivalent of Paris doing a nudy centrefold photo shoot in Playboy!

16. Keir Snelling

Well, this guy managed to install it, not that it did anything about the signal problem.

My friend applied the software fix today - His experiment seems to dispute Apple's claim that the signal drop is only a problem in low signal areas.

iPhone 4.0.1 signal indicator fix fails to do what Apple claimed - From 5 to 1 in just a grip of the hand... http://bit.ly/9Clh5Y

17. Robocat
    Happy

Very smooth

Worked fine for me. Updated and carried out a full re-sync in about 30 minutes. No problems with any of my apps or functionality.

18. Ben Suffolk
    Thumb Up

I had no problems

Not sure what all the fuss is about, it told me there was an upgrade, and got on with it with ho drama.

19. Ed 11
    Thumb Up

Fine here

Updated and jail broken in about 15 minutes. Smooth as you like.

However I'm not sure that fact they've made the lowest signal bar significantly higher than it was previously counts as solving the reception issue. However given I've only got a iPhone 3G, it's all a bit of a non-issue.

20. Alan Denman
    Go

A bad placebo?

And we all knew that the update was only a placebo anyway.

21. Andy 70

bad new travels faster

the tabloids know this...

for every reported failed update there are probably thousands of successfull updates. (and maybe tens of unreported unsuccessfull)

there will always be problems for some people doing this and this is no slight on them, it's just that shit happens.

and as the iPhone is a device that is in the public eye, then every screw up gets more publicity.

as the song goes "that's just the way it is".

22. Rob Dobs
    WTF?

Just works huh?

I'll be nice and leave the fanbois alone with just that.

Do have to say though, the person commenting in the article does not understand what a BRICK is..

A BRICK is just that, only useful to hold up other bricks, or keep papers from blowing away.

You can not reset a brick, and then turn it into a $600 crappy apple iPwn

When a device is BRICKED its just that... DEAD to the world.

What you had was a device that was hung up, or had a corrupted software, both of which can be fixed with a reset, flash firmware, update driver etc.

The horror of an update or software BRICKING a device is that there IS NO GOING BACK.

Please stop making us all dumber and mis-using words! (understand this was not the authors words, but commentors)

23. F'tangF'tang

2 USB or not 2 USB, That is the Question...

Update worked OK for me, 20 mins start to finish... but bowing to peer pressure I will say it bricked my phone... Can I be in your gang now...

You cant expect a normal USB cable to work... This place has them on special... And you must be to buy one...

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/audio-cables/wireworld-starlight-usb-cable-type-a-to-type-b-3m/prod_1684.html?review=write

2 bars now ... 5 before... Oooh... its just gone up to 3...

4.0.1 rocks...

24. Doug Glass
    Go

THE Letters

Given the press conference announced the ultimate fix is to use rubber covers they'll be supplying, the letters from The Sacred J are going to be classics in the world of botched and premature communication. You fanbois need to get copies of them for framing.

The fix sounds like a large condom type thingies to me.

25. Jessica Werkz

Works OK for me

But then some people have trouble with all sorts of technology, poor blighters.

26. David McMahon
    Jobs Halo

Hold the front page!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7895612/Apples-Steve-Jobs-admits-we-are-not-perfect.html

27. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Antenna solution

Apple have also acknowledged the faulty antenna by selling rubber bumpers for £25. Only Apple could achieve such fandom, ship a faulty phone and then get the cutomers to pay for the unbelievable arrogance as to actually want to make a phone call with their new phone.

28. pctechxp

@AC Re: Four

95's version number was 4.0

29. Dan Keating
    Linux

Fail saturation point

I'm not getting an iPhone .... but I'm starting to feel sorry for Steve Jobs. You can have a free bumper or send your phone back for a refund - or stfu.

Anyway - all this will be yesterdays news after Microsoft release their fabulous Kin here in the UK ... ... What?!!! No, really - it's going to change everything again .. again!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019