back to article Child protection campaigners claim hollow victory over Facebook

Child safety campaigners are claiming victory over Facebook in their battle to publish a "panic button" on the dominant social network, but the agreed system falls short of their original demands in one crucial aspect. Today's announcement ends a rancorous campaign spearheaded by Jim Gamble, the chief executive of the Child …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Big Brother

you cant?

You've never met some of the 12-16 yr olds round here then

But all this could be solved with a simple solution

"Under 18's Facebook" and "facebook for the rest of us"

But then since I only use facebook to kill people and pull off huge crimes, with occassional messages to old friends I guess I dont care

BB because one day , everyone will be watched .... especially you there Smith 34522 Winston... get those knees up"

Silver badge

It has been said so many times before...

...for the panic button concept to work, the child will need to know that something is wrong, and a good number of times the children do not realise until it is way too late. Until then, perhaps they are glad of a little bit of attention, somebody taking them seriously as a person, perhaps able to talk with about things they don't feel able to discuss with their parents.

Some degree of grooming was going on at my old school until the cops stamped on it. The reaction from the parents was, generally, utter horror. By contrast, the reactions from some of the kids involved was more akin to "he was the only one that made me feel good about myself".

Tell me how a panic button is going to be any use whatsoever...

Big Brother

But think about the adults!!!!!!

Can we sue CEOP if some child accidentally clicks on the PANIC!!!! button and then we lose our jobs because it turns up on the CRB Rumour sheet?

Gold badge
Stop

Let's keep this "threat" in perspective

Number of children lured to meeting a stranger through the internet. and molested. Fairly small

Number molested by parents/close relatives/family friends. Lots.

Will this actually save any one?

time will tell.

Anonymous Coward

And what's gonna happen

when disgruntled teens discover it has got a whole lot easier to initiate a false or exaggerated accusation against someone they don't like.

Silver badge

mobiles

Since more and more kids access msn, and facebook from their mobiles, then surely the app wont even show in that situation., assuming they even bother installing it, which they wont.

I have to say i chat to some friends on msn and hadn't noticed the ceop button until i specifically went looking for it as its hidden amongst all the adverts at the bottom so i bet its hardly ever used unless its click on by mistake.

WTF?

And how will the button change anything?

So supposedly this is being brought in due to the murder of a 17 year old girl who met her murderer on Facebook.

Now let's say we could go back in time and put this panic button on Ashleigh Hall's facebook page... How exactly would that have prevented her murder?

Would it have stopped her from meeting up with the guy who became her murderer?

Given they were meeting up in secret, I don't think it's likely that she would have clicked the button herself.

Was the button gonna jump off the screen and come to her aid?

Oh and apparently she spoke to this person on MSN. And they might even have called or texted each other.

So we should have panic buttons for both of those too... since buttons, electronic or otherwise, have always been the things that prevented crime.

From where I sit, this button will do a whole lot of nothing... unlike educating young people about managing risk and how to mitigate your risk... like meeting someone for the first time in a public place... preferably with some friends around. *That* would likely have prevented her murder.

Now in the Telegraph article it states "“It's not Ashleigh's fault what happened. All we can do as parents is try to and get across to them that there are two sides to the internet.”

I vehemently disagree. She wasn't exactly doing something smart my meeting a total stranger in secret and somewhere private. She absolutely bore *some* responsibility in regard to her fate.

And anyone who thinks a button on a web page would have made a whit of a difference needs to get a clue.

If Jim Gamble truly believes that this button will do more than just be political window dressing that will achieve nothing, then he is definitely one of the more clueless people out there.

FAIL

Am I the only one...

...who read this and went: if a kid is worried enough to click the "ClickCEOP" button, then they don't need the damn button in the first place - they know enough already. And for the others, having the button won't help them.

Thumb Down

Children on Facebook

According to T&C "You will not use Facebook if you are under 13." Therefore I would question the parents first how the hell and why their children are signed up, and as a parent they should ensure at least at home, they have the appropriate settings set up on the web browsers. Seems like a trend from now days parenting, they blame on everyone else when their little one is come across something "disturbing".

Wake up people and start looking in your own dump first.

Title

The only way CEOP's campaign will ever end is if Facebook puts a giant scrolling banner on every page which reads 'JIM GAMBLE JIM GAMBLE JIM GAMBLE JIM GAMBLE JIM GAMBLE', preferably flashing in red. I'd heard of the 'oxygen of publicity' but didn't realise the extent to which some people depend on it to live.

If there is anyone out there still naive enough to believe that there is a difference between this government and the last one, all you need is seven words: "Jim Gamble - Suzi Leather - Martha Lane Fox". Months after the supposed regime change, they all still have jobs.

Anonymous Coward

I'm being abused

Every time I've logged onto facebook for the past 3 days there's been an advert telling me that I need CEOP (even though I'm not a child), and when I tell facebook the advert is uninteresting it just re-loads and I'm back to square one.

I need to tell someone about this abuse, but CEOP wouldn't seem to be the right people.

Gold badge
Flame

But it makes Jimbo feel *so* good.

That is all.

The excuse for this was a girl murdered by a guy pretending to be a teenager.

Teach kids on the internet "Things are *not* what they seem. People tell fibs, exaggerate and generally cannot be trusted without some kind of proof."

Get this. If you're an adult who uses the Internet and does not understand even *vaguely* what can happen prepare for pain. EG Friend having laptop trouble goes to shop saying they don't have AV. Shop muppet "You only go on a few big sites, you don't *need* AV for that." (No that is what was said to a friend of mine in a major PC retailer. My comment was 2 words long. The second was "wit".

If you're a *parent* who knows their children have net access and that's all, prepare for *lots* of pain.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017