back to article For sale: Dr No's Scottish bunker complex

Aspiring Bond villains looking for a "truly unique property" with space for the usual world domination paraphernalia, such as big models of Fort Knox, spacecraft-eating rocket ships and so forth, should check out this Aberdeenshire des res: The Guard House surface building Nice gaff, but the real interest lies beneath the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Neil Greatorex
    Pint

There's one in Lincolnshire

http://www.smartbunker.com/virtual-tour

:-)

2. Bob Foster
    Happy

Spooky

Reminds me very much of that old FPS game Far Cry (at least the underground bits,), too bad when you get outside it's Scotland and not a tropical island!

3. Havin_it
    FAIL

One drawback...

"...The access is adjacent to the lodge..."

So when the birds are in the air and doom imminent, you've got to trudge across the lane, in your pyjamas, stepping in cowshit, to get to your "safe room"? No thanks!

Still, it is a cheap deal. With the money saved, pull down the lodge and put it back up on top of the access ramp. With a rotating bookcase in front of the entry, natch ;)

4. Gordon861

Eek Broadband

Availability for the DD10 0TA area on the Inverbervie exchange

Exchange Your local BT Exchange (Inverbervie) is ADSL broadband enabled

Line Your line should be capable of supporting download speeds up to 512kbps (around 10 times faster than dial-up)

Your line will be fully tested when you place a broadband order

Postcode-only checks are not 100% accurate

Oh well that scuppers that idea then.

5. AndrewG

Naaaah

Needs a moat for Fang, my cybernetically enhanced watchshark

6. Morpho Devilpepper
    IT Angle

Where's my checkbook??

Think of the parties I could host there! Now if only I had some friends...

7. David 45

Popcorn, anybody?

Looks like it would make a great home cinema.

8. Martin Howe

Data centre's been done

RAF Ash, Kent was one of these, now a company stores secure servers and such in it

Their website is: http://www.thebunker.net/

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Underground high voltage research lab?

Hmm.. sounds like an ideal location to duplicate some of Tesla's more exotic research..

Wonder how much three phase would cost :-)

AC, not DC...

(BTW can we *please* have a lightning bolt icon, El Reg?)

11. Mips
    Jobs Halo

Well yes!

This looks ever so ever so familiar. There are quite a few dotted about the country and they are all pretty much the same generally used as military communications sites, some were converted as emergency regional seats of government.

They have all been out of use since the 1990s, not that they had much use before that. They will have been left to rot, if they have generators they will be stuffed, all in all a expensive prospect to put back into working order.

As it happens I know of one only 3 miles from the centre of London and has it's own football field and helicopter landing pad, good views over Wembley stadium as well, I have been waiting for a Russian oligarch to buy it. Would you be interested?

Notice the innocent head; no jokes today.

12. Bilby

Not such a strange anomaly...

From the Secret Scotland site... "one very strange anomaly; both the male and female toilets have a urinal."

Given the facility was built in the '50s, it seems likely that they didn't put in a female toilet at all. There would have been two toilets; one for the officers, the other for the lesser ranks.

It is plausible that, at a later date, the two facilities may have been re-badged as male and female, but no-one bothered re-plumbing.

Lots of military facilities have two or even three male toilets (officers, NCOs, other ranks), plus one, two or three female, depending on the space available and the number of each sex expected to be stationed at the place.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.