back to article Humanity evolved to cope with 30°C+ heat, says prof

Many of humanity's distinctive features - walking upright, hairlessness, the ability to sweat copiously - arose due to the fact that the place where we evolved has been scorchingly hot for millions of years, according to noted boffins. The cradle of humanity, according to most research, was the Turkana Basin in Kenya's Great …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Morpho Devilpepper
    Terminator

What the future holds...

Our distant descendents will be damp-skinned Alien Nation lookalikes...that is, if any survive the imminent takeover of the world by Skynet (formerly Apple Inc.)

2. Mussie (Ed)

cruelly hot ?

"cruelly hot, generally above 30°C and sometimes above 35°C, for the whole time humanity has existed."

cruelly hot..... Bah thats a ormal summer us LOL

3. Steve Smith 2
    WTF?

I feel special now!

Gee whiz! "Scorchingly... cruelly... terrifically hot". 30°C+!

I freaking wish! It's only 39°C outside now because it's not Summer yet. I'm going out for a smoke and expect I'll live to see another day.

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Glendale+AZ+85302

I think I'll do the Superior Dance while I'm out there, ye pale-complected pussies! ;-)

4. Argus Tuft
    Coffee/keyboard

only in England

30deg ... "Cruelly Hot".. Hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

...Leaky runners

I seem to recall a story about one of the Leaky clan demonstrating our endurance by chasing-down an antelope, on foot of-course, during the day. Our grandpappy's exploited the empty niche of daytime hunters. Lazy lions and tigers snooze all day, oh my, exploiting the more popular twilight period. Others, like hyenas, can't be bothered to lift a paw until full night.

This is an interesting report since it removes a show-stopper from the daylight hunter theory; that being that it wasn't all that hot and open in the area back then.

Alas, my ancesters were captured by aliens, shaved, and anally probed. Since then, the family has been hair-shy, while also obsessed with porcelain and adorable, soft, fluffy, and flushable, kittens.

6. John Tserkezis
    Happy

I must be smart.

I'm bald, but heavily hairy across the rest of my body.

By this hypothosis, my brain must be working so hard, it generates so much heat, it needs the additional heatsinking.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

humans designed?

One might say the article was designed to increase ad impressions, but that would be admitting that there was some intelligence behind it all...

Ooh look, we're now a bit cooler than the koalas and kangeroos. Ah, bother, now I've got skin cancer.

8. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Are most other posters politely ignoring the fact

that on a web site self-described as "The Register is the one of the world's biggest online tech publications" (sic), this report concerning the lifestyle of our utterly techless, exclusively African ancestors is nothing but Lewis Page's Climate Change Controversion-o-the-Day?

(And has anyone yet performed textanal to investigate whether Lewis actually is Andrew Orlowski with a toupee to disguise his identity and deficit of above-the-neck body hair, and another expense account? We've heard [Ed Reardon's Week] on Radio 4, we know the tricks. I'm imagining Lewis with a rather shaky Scottish Islander accent...)

As for a mutation to lose hair - what could be easier? It is keeping the damn stuff that's difficult. Most of us have hair all over before we're born that disappears, called "lanugo" (some of us are born early still wearing it), which must have helped to give Haeckel the idea that Nature was making a chimpanzee and at the last moment changed its mind. And our controversial not-quite-gills. I've written software on the same design principle, assemble everything you could want and then output the material that you actually require. The Google Street View cars monitoring computer home networks evidently work that way, too.

9. Triggerfish

RE:Endurance predators

African hunting dogs aren't endurance predators, not really they may chase for a while but if outdistanced they will give up, compare it to the San people in the Kalahari and they will literally chase an antelope down over the course of two our three days keepiing up the pace to the point where the antelpe literally collapses from exhaustion.

Peccaries aren't predators, keep out of intense heat and stay near shade and water sources because of this, I would also guess that the hair might have the effect of warding of sunburn since they are pig family and a lot of pigs are sensitive to this.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hot or not?

Where I live during most of the year (because my wife can't cope with British winter, and although I can cope I like it no more than she does) temperatures of 30 degrees plus at 3pm are quite common in midwinter. Sure, on the airport (which is where the official temperatuires figueres are measured and reported) and in other places right down by the sea temperatures are maybe a few degrees lower but a lot of people (including me) live a bit further up the hills where it's rather hotter. I've often sat in my front garden in temperatures above 40 degrees (there's usually a breeze, and humidity is usually low, so that's not unpleasantly hot). Coping with the heat is just a matter of drinking enough water and wearing the right clothes (and enough sunscreen until you buil enough tan to protect you, if you are going to be away from shade for a lot of time) - it isn't any big issue.

A few years back I spent a couple of weeks in Southern Egypt. Afternoon temperatures typically 40 (or more) in the shade, but RH very low indeed so the heat wasn't a problem.

Why does anyone think that people are not evolved to cope with temperatures above those of a miserable British spring? If a northener like me can cope with reasonable temperatures why can't people from the deep south of Britain (places like Manchester and Leeds) cope too? Is it just those from the effete south east who think 30 degrees is ridiculously hot?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.