back to article Drinking coffee offers no real benefit, say eggheads

Deluded academics in the UK and Germany have produced "research" purporting to show that coffee drinkers receive no tangible benefit from their morning cup of beautiful, life-giving beany caffeine goodness. The foolishness was presided over by Peter Rogers of Bristol Uni's experimental psycho department. He and his allied …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Philip Nicholls Silver badge

7 am -ish

Has there been any research about what else could possibly make me want to get out of bed in the morning?

Forget it. I already know the answer.

2. gabor1
    Coffee/keyboard

one small problem

Um... individual differences (whether genetic or environmental) are all the rage these days. I wouldn't be surprised if the largest bias in the study arises at the recruitment stage. It might not be random who becomes a coffee drinker and who doesn't. Individual differences in alertness during the diurnal cycle are well known (cf. late owls and early-birds). It is only on top of this that the physiological addiction effects happen.

Now, can those of you who actually bothered to read the study enlighten the rest of us on this point? Ta.

3. @marklkelly
    WTF?

Absolute gibberish.

Tell 'em to join me for my morning cup of freshly ground, black gold. I guarantee they'll be bouncing off the walls, not more than 30 mins later..

4. Seareach

Slurp

"Coffee is good for relieving coffee withdrawal symptoms." ... ??? ... Get out of town!

Thank you for exposing these mad scientists.

Coffee lowers your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, cavities and colon cancer. Facts.

The best coffee on the high street is a Costa double espresso with hot milk on the side. Fact.

5. Richard 125

Coffee? Ha! For that alert morning feeling nothing beats...

...a 50/50 mix of Red Bull* and Lucozade.

It doesn't just "give you wings". The combination of caffeine and sugars really picks you up... and throws you across the room.

* Or other stimulation drinks like Relentless or Red Rooster, etc.

1. skellious
      Alien

hmm...

Ever notice how all these drinks start with "Re"? REd Bull, REd Rooster, RElentless...

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not so

Monster Energy, Jolt Cola, Mountain Dew, Rocket Fuel (now gone I believe), Powerthirst, Cocaine, Pussy, etc, etc, etc.

6. Captain Hogwash

Blue Mountain

To Jim Coleman: You are thinking of Red Mountain. Google both and see the difference.

To everyone else: O, Love-bourne ecstasy that is Mrs. Miggins, wilt thou bring me but one cup of the browned juicings of that naughty bean we call 'coffee', ere I die...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Hmm..

People have different sensitivities to caffeine;

I drink around 5-6 cups of Clipper Organic Arabica coffee every day. I've noticed that it does help on a morning but has no significant impact during the day. Often tired by home time. I *do* notice a big difference if I have a cup of ground M&S/Costa/Cafe Nero (not Starbucks - which I think is poor coffee as is Nescafe and most other freeze dried instant coffees). With those coffees I notice a definite increase in heart speed and alertness. I don't drink as much on a weekend and have a coffee comedown which can be bad. I once had a week off coffee and noticed less headaches etc so it does have some physiological impact.

My friend can't drink coffee. He once drank a can of Coke and was left wired for 2 days (unable to sleep). He now avoids all caffeine.

8. Psymon
    Thumb Up

@gabor1

I think you might be onto something there.

variations in peoples diurnal cycle can certainly cause problems when attempting to work around an artificially induced sleep cycle.

I've done shift work aplenty in my time. While I've known some to have no problems with swing-shifts, I certainly didn't adjust well to going to bed while the sun's blazing outside.

without resorting to prescriptions I found a few beers in my artificial evening would help send me off, while a couple of brews in the 'morning' would perk me up.

While shift work is an extreme example, I can say that I've always been a bit of a night owl, whereas my sister struggles to stay up past 8pm.

Alas, tolerance buildup quickly becomes a problem.

1. skellious
      Pint

shift work

Having worked variously 5am start, 10pm start and others inbetween this week I can conclude I am able to sleep and wake up at a variety of times with little problem, my only issue is how messed up and meaningless traditional "meal times" become. When you have "breakfast" variously when the sun is high in the sky or on the other side of the planet, it can really mess you up.

9. Lee Dowling Silver badge
    Stop

Coffee

Am I the only one who doesn't actually like the stuff anyway? I mean... it's sharp, bitter and pungent. Anything coffee-flavoured is normally disgusting anyway (and always the last chocolate left in the bottom / the last Revel left in the bag) and coffee itself is just stronger-flavoured than that (seeing as most "coffee-flavour" is actually coffee, unlike other flavours).

And, yes, I am living with an Italian who insists on drinking a ridiculously tiny cup of highly-concentrated, coffee-smelling mud every morning (made in a little espresso kettle that steams water through tightly-packed coffee grounds - the "proper" ones are normally put on the hob, but she also has an electric one that looks identical).

And for some reason I'm always the odd-one-out in the IT department because everyone else seems to live on it. You know what? My coding doesn't need the distraction of strong-smelling, staining, spillable, drinks used purely to prop addicts back up to their "normal" state after 5-10 mins of "brewing" the damn stuff. I'm much happier with a Coke (diet, sugar-free, extra-sugar, I care not), Fanta, or just water - at least it *tastes* vaguely pleasant, not like I've licked the bottom of a lid of a very hot jar of marmite.

I've worked in IT departments where everyone else is dependent on the stuff and in those circumstances you consume a lot of it yourself (otherwise they JUST KEEP ASKING and that's more destructive to your computing than just having a cup of coffee put beside you and you ignoring it). At no point did I actually feel any desire to actually drink the stuff myself, worked there for about a year drinking several cups a day because people kept making them for me and I never once decided to make one for myself (I never even made myself one when it was my turn on the "coffee-making rota"). Stopped working there, still didn't see the need to have one. In fact, I don't think I've had one since and that was 3-4 years ago now.

It tastes horrible. Stop drinking that crap. At least drink something that *tastes* nice if it's going to be damaging / addictive to you. To quote Crocodile Dundee - "Well, you can live on it, but it tastes like sh**".

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

Re: Coffee

I think the problem is the awful oil by-products that are sold as "coffee" over there...

I have always known that coffee doesn't have any real effect (at least on me) but it doesn't stop me from drinking a nice freshly brewed cup whenever I have the time (maybe 2, 3 a day). Why? because the coffee you can get over here, in a certain Latin American country, is absolutely delicious.

There are different brands, with different roasts and ground process, and trying them is not too far from comparing different wines or beers.

Instant coffee, on the other hand, is an insult and its creators should be processed as criminals against humanity

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

This from someone who drinks Diet Coke!

'Nuff said.

10. JDX Gold badge
    Flame

The article's tone...

Was it parodying talk of 'climate change deniers', a phrase which the media seems to have started using to put those who aren't convinced of man-made global warming in the same public standing as holocaust-deniers?

Or was it just me?

11. Keris
    IT Angle

Self-selection in the survey

Of course there is bias in the survey. I, for one, wouldn't take part in it because I intensely dislike the stuff (I don't like the taste or the smell, and yes I have tried Blue Mountain, some American friends were convinced that it was just that I hadn't had "good coffee").

I generally avoid caffeine, apart from a an occasional mug of Yorkshire tea in the morning with breakfast and occasionally if I actually need the boost. So I do feel the 'kick' from it. But I have a lot of friends who really are "no use until the second (or more) cup of coffee" in the morning, and who don't notice an additional one because their systems are already sodden with the stuff.

12. Will Leamon

Dear Lewis

Is the tone of your article perhaps the result of knowing (like I suspect) that there is a war on pleasure coming? That forces who do not understand the value of doing something merely for it's own pleasurable result (whatever that may be) are gathering and wish to use science as there weapon? I believe you do.

First they came for my smokes, then my coffee, when they came for my Rock n Roll no one was left to defend it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Ah but what of the decaf-glugging weirdoes who got lovely, brain- and wit-enhancing delicious caffeine ?

I know that a mug of Java can work wonders; it was especially evident the time I was feeling tired on the motorway, pulled in at the services, had a large mug of overpriced coffee and was so alert I almost buzzed over the last half of the journey.

The secret is probably to have more than your usual dose.

Oh and my commiserations to those who don't like it. One more of life's pleasures denied you.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

That happened to me ...

... I soon snapped awake when they told me the price ... barely needed to drink the coffee itself

14. Brian Miller
    Go

Roast your own, it tastes much better

I roast my own coffee, and the taste is far above the Starbucks swill. Seriously, the coffee that you get commercially has been stale for quite some time. Coffee goes stale after two weeks, and by the time you get it, the coffee was roasted months ago. If you can use a popcorn popper, you can use a home coffee roaster.

15. Munchausen's proxy
    Pirate

I can do no better than to give you

"Caffeine makes my neurons twinkle." - Bonnie McCafferty, in an editorial piece in the Chicago Tribune several years ago.

16. Ammaross Danan
    Go

Title

I dislike the smell/taste of coffee myself, but I think the "tests" they conducted must have been some form of rubbish. I more fancy a dose of caffeine with some form of herbal coctail that (traditionally/arguably) preports to enhance mental function (I phrase it this way to not name any particular product). With this, I definately must admit it works very well. I went on the stuff during school years of early-morning classes (I'm a night owl), and not only did I not feel narcoleptic, I found myself able to think through programming tasks and such better. Of course, even now, having it in the morning still works beautifully, so perhaps I'm just "returning to normal" with the added herbal benefit...but I think the increased heart-rate/blood pressure helps with the drowsiness.

To each their own. You can offer me a cup of swill, but I will not drink, for I have better (for me).

17. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Pint

Not quite

I gave up caffeine cold turkey some years ago, and, two weeks later, when the sharp stabbing pains in my head finally stopped recurring, I counted myself completely weaned. Some time later, I became addicted again because I found that my body clock wanted a nap in the mid-afternoon, a habit which is typically frowned upon by the humorless, suit-wearing Powers That Be, so I started drinking caffeine again to get through those dips in my circadian rhythms. A one-off test like that cited in the study fails to address how coffee gets people through the work day by allowing them to overcome the compulsion to slip into blessed unconsciousness and leave behind the hideous tedium of their quotidien lives.

18. skeptical i

In defense of instant coffee.

instant_coffee != real_coffee; # Never is, never was, and I doubt very much it ever will be.

It is a brown caffeinated (60 mg/ cup -ish) beverage that is vaguely coffee flavored, and by those criteria it is not too shabby (especially for those of us who live on iced coffee in the summer, refilling our insulated half- gallon "gargantu- gulp" mugs throughout the day). Comparing it to a cup of fresh roasted, fresh brewed quality coffee (damn, now I want some!) is not entirely fair.

19. Doug Glass
    Go

Skxawngs

Most likely the reserachers and their subjects are drinking swill such as Maxwell House because their too cheap to buy the quality stuff like Kona, Panama, Guatamalan or Jamaica Blue Maoutain.

Cheap shoes will hurt you feet and crap coffee will always be just brewed rotgut.

20. irrelevant
    Happy

drat

I suspect I'm a caffeine addict - I must drink at least ten cups of coffee a day, but usually it's just a better quality instant due to lack time, although sometimes I fire up the filter machine and it's definitely a more intense experience, although it takes me some time to get through a packet of ground coffee - Now I've read the other comments, I really should investigate self-roasting; just do a bit at a time as I need it.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: drat

Of course you're a caffeine addict, you goon. I know I am, and I only drink two or three cups of tea a day - if I go for a day without that I'll feel tired and headachey. I can't imagine what would happen to you if you tried going cold turkey from your ten cups. Have some green tea and a nice walk for chrissakes.

Incidentally I think Red Bull has settled into its role as methadone to coffee's heroin - so many people seem to think it doesn't really count. And I used to drink it with vodka at university. Happy days.

1. Thecowking

It's not like green tea is caffeine free

I mean some of the ones I brew really will pick you up in the mornings.

I don't drink coffee, but I do have a caffeine addiction just fine without it.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coffee(caffeine) can be habit forming

Hi, Coca Cola used to have a small amount of cocaine in it until it became illegal, caffeine was added then. My dad used to drink coffee and hot a headache if he missed it. He warned never to make it a habit but to use it only if tired or sleepy when you had to be awake and alert. Studies have shown it does affect the brain and creat a dependancy. But its mild compared to other drugs. I have noticed this if I drink it often, so only drink it if I haven't had enough sleep or driving a long time at night.

22. Bryan W
    Pint

Hmmm

If anything, this is an example of pseudo-science. Its amazing how one can "prove" any point they wish with statistics and an active imagination.

What's sad is that anyone would even give this crap the light of day. How can one sit there and claim to have scientific proof that something that occurs every day for billions of people, simply isn't happening? Next they'll claim that Marijuana doesn't get you stoned, its just withdrawal from being "not-stoned".

Really, there should be stiff penalties for people who waste resources in these kinds of ridiculous endeavors. How about more time curing disease, feeding the hungry and solving our energy problems, and less time trying to invent new problems for people to worry about.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.