back to article ISPs told to keep filesharer naughty list

The details of internet users who are accused of unlawful filesharing three times will be recorded on a blacklist so record and film companies can target legal action, rules published today reveal. Ofcom has opened consultation on a draft of the code of practice for enforcing the Digital Economy Act's (DEA) copyright …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. B Ward
    FAIL

Can anyone spot a flaw?

People move houses all the time. This will fuck over the next owners. Sadly resistance to this type of legislation has been not good. When the innocent start getting falsely accused I hope it will create an end to this unwelcome corporate influence over our legal system.

1. weegie.geek

Eh?

Why would it affect the next occupiers of a property, exactly?

People are blacklisted, not addresses. Timestamps will prove who was the registered occupant at the time.

2. Peter Hood
    Pint

Wifi security

ISTR reading reports that in Germany innocence is no excuse; all Wi-Fi traffic must be properly encrypted. I don't know if by that the legal system intends WPA (plus the little TKIP matter) not WEP, but I reckon the same will happen in the UK. IP numbers though. Hmm. Now for lots of technically minded people to explain the flaws in this, and in the latest technical developments in cracking WPA (not WPA2). Politicians and civil servants seem to have a touching faith in IT when it's being explained to them by someone with an agenda. Perhaps a night or two down the pub would be better than having an account with my local friendly ISP.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VPN?

why not just use SSL on everything

4. Uplink
    FAIL

Notice of infringement

Dear article author,

I accuse you of copyright infringement. I have no proof, but I enjoy accusing people of things. Now, you only need to more like me and you're toast.

Cheers,

- Your accuser

That being said, what stops you being accused for the sake of accusing? I mean, it's the accusation itself that counts, not any proof, so sooner or later everyone in this country will receive a letter like that.

5. Semaj

a

I doubt if the new government could do much with this. I expect that it's all already been signed off. However is it not fair game for their great reform act if they are still doing the whole "we'll ask the public" thing?

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Perhaps deliberately you don't mention if accusation = false

or whether there's anything to stop, well, anyone from randomly accusing every IP address in the UK of illegal filesharing, and thereby voiding the Data Protection Act amongst others by compiling a great database of UK addresses and personal information.

Did you say http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2010/05/nr_20100528 to get in on the consultation?

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Pirate

More Pirates in Hull?

I blame the football.

Obviously what happened here is that at the start of the last Premiership season, the entire population of Hull went: "Thar'll be Hull down on the horizon thar for sure, me hearties".

Once the timber-shivering takes hold there's no way back......

8. TkH11

Labour still got their hand in

Who runs this quango called Ofcom? They're a joke. Probably someone who has close links to Labour.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sneakernet

I've said this before but I think it needs saying again:

It only takes one person to get hold of XYZ on disc/USB stick and suddenly they can distribute it to their group of friends without going near the internet by physically giving them a disc/USB stick with XYZ on, who can then distribute it to their groups of other friends...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet

A 2.5" 500gb drive can easily hold 100 DVDR image files, or nearly 700 avi films (regular 700mb size), and it's pocketsize...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like