back to article Best Buy tech finds 'child abuse' wallpaper on broken PC

A man allegedly caught using child abuse images as a desktop wallpaper faces a string of charges after he took in the malfunctioning machine for repair. Daniel J Wagner of Sheboygan, Wisconsin reportedly took the laptop into his local Best Buy store in order to clean up a malware infection around a fortnight ago. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

As evil as CP is,

the dude is a fscking dipshit for setting it as the background. Anyone with half a brain would hide it a bit better.

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Forensics

The guy wouldn't be charged without a forensic examination being done on the PC, there a numerous ways to identify if the guy is guilty or not, file time stamps, index.dat files (holding URL information), Registry entries that identify things like URL's visited etc etc etc. The fact is that he will if he has any brains get a defence expert to take a look at the prosecution findings and get his own forensics report done, if he isn't guilty they will find out how the pictures got onto the machine.

I've not actually come across any trojans (yet) that download CP, so if anyone has any info on any please do put up a link!

Cheers All.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm always amazed at the p0rn..

Just two things, while I've never had to bring in a unit for malware issues, I always remove the HD from the unit, it simply isn't anyone's business what's on my pc's and sometimes, it's client data, so I have to protect it.. Second, when I've been asked to help someone fix something there's often jpgs that seem to trigger the software scans, and Windows likes thumbnails when you open the folder so, I'm always amazed at what people are in to, 'you're into that?'

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like