back to article Jobs: One million iPads sold

Apple announced on Monday that one million iPads were sold in the first four weeks of the "magical and revolutionary" device's availability in the US market. "One million iPads in 28 days - that's less than half of the 74 days it took to achieve this milestone with iPhone," crowed Apple CEO Steve Jobs in a canned statement. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ian Moffatt 1
      Joke

B'Arking up the wrong tree?

'Devices like the iPad will lower the status of desktop support to that of telephone sanitiser.'

Plenty of room on C deck

I'll get me towel

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@SlabMan

It's not about that because it's highly doubtful that the business use of an iPad will go beyond hipster businesses with Aeron chairs flushing VC money down the drain.

I'm happy when systems get more user friendly. I develop my own apps with the user in mind at all times. I'm glad not to get calls from relatives when their PC misbehaves or confuses them.

What I think is terrible is that people are going to buy an iPad having been promised the earth and find that they've wasted money because it's so deliberately crippled. And they'll probably only realise what a stinker they've been sold after it's outside of Apple's return period when the grandchildren try to go to the Disney site or when they try to book a ticket reservation or go out to use the 3G and find that the video has been deliberately crippled to 64kbps.

This isn't a "where's my command line" complaint. Being able to print things out or play some online games or copy some photos from a USB stick are things that my elderly aunt does.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Egad

Slightly off topic but one of the main reasons for Apple bashing is blindingly obvious

If we all used easy to use / install and maintain software, 3/4 of the "Tech Janitors" here (Love that expression) would be out of a job.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

More money than sense, eh?

Poor people have more sense than money and the rich have more money than sense. They also have more sense than the poor, that's why they're rich, I'm afraid.

4. Watashi

Apple logo

If you own a Symbian smartphone, you don't need an iPad with 3G because you can tether the Nokai and the iPad together through the Wi-Fi connection. You can then surf the web using 3.5G, which is faster than the 3G on the iPad, and you only need one mobile data contract.

Q: What kind of company provides lower comaptibility between its own products than between its products and its biggest mobile phone competitor?

A: A company whose products do NOT sell on the basis of functionality or value for money.

It's time we dispensed with the myth - most people who now buy Apple products buy them because of the Apple logo, not because of the hardware beneath the logo. All Apple need to is make sure their new gadget has a sufficient Wow! factor to "justify" its high cost and it will sell, even if it's pointless and cr*p.

The argument of "it's a better product" no longer matches the evidence. Apple PCs are not significantly faster (for the vast majority of daily tasks) or more reliable than Windows 7 PCs half the cost - I don't know a single long-term Mac user who's never had to take a Mac back to the store. iPhones do not have greater functionality than Nokias, Blackberries or HTCs. There are plenty of things that you can't do on an iPhone that you can do on other phones. iPods are less user-friendly and poorer quality than several of their competitors, and the benefits of an iPad over a netbook are extremely limited. Also, first releases of Apple products ALWAYS have common hardware issues.

Apple sold out years ago. Deal with it, fanbois!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019