back to article iPhone code ban facing antitrust inquiry?

The US Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission are exploring an antitrust inquiry into Apple's ban on iPhone code translation, according to a report citing a "person familiar with the matter." The New York Post reports that the DoJ and FTC are "locked in negotiations" over which will investigate a recent change to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Exactly!

Just as Nokia has a monopoly on Nokia Phones, Nintendo has a monopoly on Ninteno Wii and Clarks has a monopoly on Clarks' Shoes, and Canon on Canon Cameras and so on.

When will some people learn what a monopoly is?

Me?

I've got a monopoly on my farts.

1. Ivan Headache

The Lovely Ivana

bought a super-duper battery-powered floor mop (don't ask me why - I've been married to her for 30 years out and there are some things I still can't fathom). It sprayed special cleaner on to the floor and then mopped it up again with special mopping-pads. It was made by Flash and used special bottles of Flash Liquid and special Flash mopping-pads.

Flash has a monopoly on Flash battery-powered floor mops.

I don't see anyone making a huge fuss that you can't buy bottles of Cilit-Bang or jif to use in it.

1. Muckminded

Metaphor Cuisinart

Apple is not a monopoly of any defined platform. They are a monopoly of platforms in the middle of becoming. Once all the stitches are pulled tight, and courts recognize them, the barriers to entry will already exist. No law against needlework.

They are also like the morning sun. Golden and magical, and blowing off a highly charged wind.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I hope that ...

... the attention to detail and invoking documented APIs is further extended to all Apple devices.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful way to have fully operational devices such as print/scan/copy/fax machines?

These cross-platform compiler things tend to do an awful job in unskilled/lazy hands.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@C++ Fan

"Wrong. Sorry, but you are very wrong. The reason the IT industry codes in C/C++ is because you can write fast code (also deterministically fast code "

But C/C++ is definitely not the only way to do that. Ada, Pascal, Modula 2 are just a few other options. The aerospace sector is very happy with Ada and that is exactly because the language forces you to operate in a much cleaner way than C/C++ allows you to do.

I agree that the GC-based languages are a regression, because of their non-deterministic runtime (or the requirement to pre-allocate the total set of objects that will ever needed).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Aplle can only control their own App Store

Apple can sell what they like from their website.

This is nothing like the Microsoft IE case, and it will go nowhere.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019