back to article Yes, Internet Explorer is on the wane in Europe

Internet Explorer's European market share has decreased noticeably since Microsoft rolled out its browser ballot screen to EU Windows users, according to new data from net research firm Quantcast. Redmond introduced its ballot screen on March 1, after settling an antitrust complaint with the European Commission, and in a blog …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dayjo
      Thumb Down

@ I Like IE8

Seriously?

Like.. I mean.. seriously?

The IE Developer tools are completely useless.. when they work they either don't refresh the source, leave elements highlighted with an ugly blue line, or doesn't actually help. Other than that it normally just crashes itself AND the rest of the browser at the same time.

*wishes IE could handle JS properly*

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

browser stats unknowable

@Cade: It would be cool, if in all the browser share stories, you included one item reflecting the error-prone state of browser statistics...

http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat.htm

"... [browser] stats mislead: caching skews raw data; audiences vary for each site; methodologies vary for each survey; surveys lack important details; surveys mis-identify user agents; surveys are often not updated to identify new browsers; search spiders may pose as browsers; small sample sizes magnify fluctuations; and stats don’t count those who stay away because their browsers are not supported..."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Your graphs are deceptive

Hi, try making the vertical chart from 0% to 100% and you won't notice any change at all...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's quite a hopeful sign

If you're an optimist, at least, you could see this as evidence that more peeople are learning a little about software quality and security. Or they might just be taken informed advice, which is nearly as good.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

But...

Surely all those who knew/know enough to download and install an alternative browser would have already done so which leaves those lacking that knowledge making up the vast majority of any switchers.

So, an MS update pops up asking if they want to switch to a different browser. Many probably just clicked on the first in the list without a clue. When said browser was then installed do they then get a similar popup asking if they want to switch back to the other browser or are they left then with whatver they chose? The later I bet. Probably many don't even notice the difference...

Me? I chose the ignore the update and carried on using IE8. Cue the usual barage of M$ and IE bashers as above telling me how crap it is except, if they actually knew anything at all, then they'd know that in protected mode IE8 is safer than their precious FF...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like