back to article Microsoft slams nails in Windows Vista, XP SP2, 2000

Microsoft will kill support for its unloved Windows Vista operating system a few months ahead of its Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 planned end-of-the-road-for-updates deadline. The company said yesterday that a Vista service pack-free OS will no longer get MS support after 13 April this year, leaving the flaky platform …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tim Spence
      Stop

Pain and hassle

There is no pain and hassle to install Windows, it's one thing which Microsoft have got right over virtually everyone else - even a monkey with very basic computer skills can do it.

Are you saying you're less capable than a monkey with basic computer skills?

1. Al fazed
    Happy

Har Har, there she blows

Personally I don't give a flying f*ck, as I have been planning and conducting my migration to Linux for some time and it's looking good for OpenSuse 11.2

Sorry Ubuntu fan boys, it just doesn't do what it says on the tin, does it ?

Us rats are leaving the sinking ship.

Mind the gap Bill, your gonna need a life raft.

I think it is a smart move.

ALF

2. Al fazed
    Happy

@The Unexpected Bill

Well said,

unfortunate that Microsoft didn't realise this before embarking on their path to oblivion.

Ubuntu penguin heads haven't seen anything like it, yet they dream of their OS emulating Microstien's newer monsters. When Ubuntu is half as stable I might review it again. But for the most part the Microsoft despising idiots who write in to the forums are enough to keep me well away from that Distro in future.

Best thing to do with the Win2k box is simply unplug it, uninstall the firewall and all the other baggage and use it as a stand alone system for everything which requires NOT being attached to the net. You get to keep all you old, working applications too. Bloody marvelous !

ALF

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

well then

"But for the most part the Microsoft despising idiots who write in to the forums are enough to keep me well away from that Distro in future."

i'd call that "mission accomplished"

the last thing those "microsoft despising idiots" want in their midst is a cribbing point and click bozo, who assumes he's a geek because he can open up word or exel.

that's your typical win-win situation. bill / balmer happy as they still got sheep to play with, sheep happy as they like to be played with, idiot happy as they simply cannot be arsed.

3. Ammaross Danan
    FAIL

XP vs Win7

Windows 7 is a smooth operating system, if you're a punter end-uzer. I have to run Windows XP for quite a few reasons, least of all for gaming. Civilization 4 WILL NOT WORK in Windows 7. Period. Granted, last patch for it was Sep07, but WTF? Yes, it technically is not Windows' fault, but the software companies (who had PLENTY of advance notice), however, older software/games that were developed and reached end-of-life long before Vista was born have no chance. And of course, VMs don't (yet) have native gfx support, so Civ4 in a VM is out of the window(s) :P

Another thought, what will happen to Windows XP Mode in Win7 when XP hits EoL? Technically, it's a feature of Win7, which should still be supported..... But then, Win8 will probably be out by 2014 (hopefully) and all our problems will go away (again)...

1. Nick Thompson

Works for me.

Civ 4 works fine for me in Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Same for all my friends, both steam and non-steam versions.

I've got Warlords and BTS installed, although it definately worked before installing BTS. And I can run 'original' Civ 4 rather than Warlords and that works too.

I've tried about 100 games so far in Win 7 and only a couple of them have still refused to run acceptably after a bit of poking.

2. JP19
      Thumb Up

Civ4 works

Civilization IV works just fine for me under Windows 7. I won't blame you for the problem but it's not the OS either.

3. Roger Barrett

Civ4 in Win 7

Is this right? I installed Win 7 on my laptop and have a copy of Civ 4 Complete that I Was going to install on there. I know there is a lack of updates for Win 7 on the Civ site, but there is a link here

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=330948

Which would seem to explain how to do it, not tried it yet though.

4. Beritknight

Win7 pretty much fine for gaming.

I spent most of the weekend playing Civ 4 on my Win7 machine. Worked just fine.

I didn't even have to do anything to get it working, just fired up Steam, installed it and played it.

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but the last game I couldn't get working in Win7 was one of the Quest For Glory games. Hell, my g/f is even playing Starcraft 1 on one of my Win7 boxes and that's ancient.

5. Richard 74

@Ammaross Danan - Civ4

Civilization 4 WORKS FINE FOR ME IN WINDOWS 7. Period. No idea why it doesn't on yours, but it's fine for me and for my friend who runs it in Boot Camp.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

One question

When is MS going to issue a Windows Activation Patch for XP then ?

To remove the need for activation, obviously.

Because, if it soooo obsolete, and not even sold anymore, then they don't need to control its use, right ?

So ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

XP SP3

Ra!

Who needs the cost and hassle of upgrading to Win7 ?

Why bother?

I can do everything I need with XP SP3.

6. BigSteve
    Linux

Upgrade windows completely - to Ubuntu

Ok ubuntu isn't perfect but I like it - it reminds me why I got into computers in the 1st place because I want to experiment & see what they do not have Microsoft tell me your machine will do this or that.

I like xp dont get me wrong, but upgrading to windows 7 will cost me (software & some new hardware whereas Ubuntu wont (well 10p for a cd)) - & I doubt my old(ish) laptop will get along with it - hence I'm switching now that way by the time by xp is no longer supported Ubuntu really will be a much better replacement & I'll already know how to use it.

& by-the-way the whole Linux can only use about 5% of all hardware myth - total crap its about 99.9% (and without installing 3rd party drivers)

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

@Ammaross Danan

Try wine for windows. No joke, they make it -- I don't use WIndows, but apparently wine is more compatible with older games and such than Windows Vista and 7 are (and for old like DirectX3 games, more compatible than XP...), so these games won't work on windows directly, but will with wine.

Secondly, I think vmware at least does provide hardware acceleration, including for 3D -- but maybe only for Linux.

1. zanto
      Linux

@Henry Wertz 1

"Secondly, I think vmware at least does provide hardware acceleration, including for 3D -- but maybe only for Linux."

AFAIK, virtualbox also supports 3d but it's experimental, and since i don't play games, i don't really know how good it is.

i run virtualbox on linux as the host, but i see no reason why this wouldn't work with windows as well.

8. Estariel
    FAIL

If software was like a car....

Toyota would like to announce that any Toyota car made before 2004 is now "out of support".

Toyota garages will refuse to repair such cars.

Older Toyota cars may exhibit unpredictable behavior at traffic lights and roundabouts, if those road features were built after 2009.

Any safety defects on older Toyotas cars will not be notified, or subject to recall.

Toyota disclaim any liability for crashes caused by older Toyotas.

If you are worried about your seven year old Toyota crashing, then Toyota recommend that you buy a new Toyota.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please take windows back!

“Microsoft believes it is important that all customers buy more Microsoft products prior to the end of support date, not only so that they can come to know and love Microsoft more dearly, but also to ensure Microsoft's continued survival in the worldwide marketplace ...”

10. Jules 1

@Ammaross Danan

It may require a couple of work arounds to get it running smoothly but plenty of people on the civfanatics forum are playing cv4 on Windows 7. Check out this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341244

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like