back to article Home Office spawns new unit to expand internet surveillance

The Home Office has created a new unit to oversee a massive increase in surveillance of the internet, The Register has learned, quashing suggestions the plans are on hold until after the election. The new Communications Capabilities Directorate (CCD) has been created as a structure to implement the £2bn Interception …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

So there is a point to facepalm after all?

Facepalm games are great for expanding social circles. Especially those that encourage you to have 501 'friends' and have add-me lists to make it easier to fill your news feeds with crap. Can't wait for a phone call asking for me to explain my relationship with fluffybunnywabbitt423 and what pixel crack is. It is not an illegal substance but perhaps should be.

2. dephormation.org.uk
    Alert

Remind me again

Last time anyone died from terror on the UK mainland was back in 2005, the London Tube attack. Even then, only 56 people died (tragically).

In the following five years around 500,000 have died from smoking related causes. Half a million people.

Around 17,500 have died on the roads.

Perhaps 20,000 have died in domestic accidents.

So here, take my cheque for £100. What are you going to spend it on if you want to save life?

What are you going to do with a cheque for £2bn if you want to ensure people don't die unnecessarily?

This plan is naked fascism. It has got nothing to do with preserving life.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

The Flip side!

Hey look what that Coppers doing to our mate, let's .......... - :(

http://interneteyes.co.uk/

Do we want a Society or Regime like this? -:(

1. blackworx
      FAIL

Flipside...

Or side-effect?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pirate

No Flipside

Every action has its own consequences.

Fear & lack of respect for others promotes the very actions & inevitable rebellions that you are most afraid of!

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

"Give me 6 lines from an honest man,and I'll hang him."

That is all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ssl web based email

What if your using a SSL web based email service. I must admit i don't know a great deal about DPI can it pull email addresses etc from a SSL session? Im guessing not or surely this would make SSL mute as hackers would just buy DPI equipment to sniff for credit card data etc

Sounds like its a good time to invest in some off shore VPN companies as im sure their profits are going to start shooting up soon.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019