back to article Steve Jobs uncloaks the 'iPad'

Steve Jobs has announced Apple's long-awaited tablet - now officially named the iPad, as The Reg had predicted - at a media circus Wednesday morning in the 757-seat Novellus Theater at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. The Reg will offer its considered analysis of what Jobs called "a truly magical and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

Big iphone or cut rate laptop?

Why would I watch a movie on this? This isn't hyperbole. Give me one good reason to watch an hour and half long movie on the back of a National Geographic. If Jobs is going to describe a netbook as a crappy laptop, how is this not just a crappy laptop? If I'm sitting in my living room I have a TV (already hooked up to my computer) to watch movies on. If I'm traveling I have a real laptop to do real work on. And if somehow I lose enough IQ points to become interested in an e-reader I think I'd rather have one that isn't the same as my laptop screen.

Gold badge

Hmmm

I think it looks ok, but it's still a niche product.

The problem it will have is it doesn't use an epaper screen. So as a reading device its appeal is limited.

I think basically what Apple thought was rather than create a desktop surface computer, why not make it mobile? being sat at a desk using a computer is so old fashioned now, outside of an office anyway.

FAIL

Wat???

Seriously, what a waste of time, it is a high powered netbook sized iphone, hardly a revolution.

How long after this goes to market will the forums be full of "my screen cracked" topics?

FAIL

10inch i-phone

Hmm, a 10 inch iphone... doesn't fit in your pocket. Isn't a proper computer. Hmm, lemon maybe?

That should start a fight with the fan boys.

Hmmm

Er it looks a bit bulky! Not so cracked on touch control for gaming either. Crap just saw the price. Okay that's me not sold on it.

no mention

of a price point for this gi-phone then?

Jobs Horns

Finally

Can we all just move on now please?

It's a giant iphone - whoop-de-doo

and this is 'a truly magical and revolutionary product' how exactly? Surely with something of that size it wouldn't be too hard to have it run a full version of OSX so you can make it somewhat usable beyond what his Jobsness decrees you are allowed to have?

Jobs Horns

Her indoors wants one

I think it's the acid test - this will be a success.

I bought her a Windows 7 ACER PC last month from PC World. Came so full of 60-day trial rubbish from Norton, Kodak and the likes that the performance was crap and there was relentless pop-ups so she actually gave up on it. I ended up re-formatting and sticking Ubuntu on it. She's hasn't noticed the difference but thinks it's a lot quicker now.

She's just seen this iPad preview now and said that she wants rid of the laptop (ebay maybe hon, someone might want it!). A consumer PC for the masses.

9 years of Visual C++ and now it's time to learn how to code for the apple. How did Microsoft fuck things up so much ... !

Jobs Horns

I feel your pain

Goddamit, looks like I'll have to go learn obj-c or something :(

Anonymous Coward

I feel your pain.

I'm an Apple fan but... Objective-C... <blurgh>... bigger hack than C++ and that's saying something.

Anonymous Coward

Read what you just posted

You admit that you bought a PC full of 3rd party crap and somehow this is Microsofts fault? Blame Acer for bundling all the unnecessary bloat.

Did you even try a clean install of Windows 7? You would be surprised at just how well it runs.

Anonymous Coward

The only real surprise is the price

Everything else had been widely predicted, but the $499 base price is impressive.

It's also interesting that it's not available today - it won't be available for another 2 months.

Who'll be the first to market an iPad handbag?

Not available for 2 months…

I know that's usually the case with most new Apple hardware but I wonder if it's deliberate in this case. Gives iPhone devs a chance to d/l the SDK and make sure their existing apps work OK on the new shiny and possibly (depending on how easy they make it) update them to use the extra screen real-estate so that there are at least a few iPad apps available when people finally get them.

Go

Not available for 2 months

This is deliberate. To be able to sell it immediately the thing has to be FCC certified. To get it FCC certified you have to send final products in to be tested. And because the FCC can't control their staff, leaked product shots would be all over the Internet immediately.

The free publicity from the secrecy-hype and the unveiling is worth far more than any lost sales between now and its availability.

Anonymous Coward

3G Only surely?

FCC approval is only required for 3G not WiFi and 3G versions wont be available for another month anyway (so 3 months wait in total).

Can't see much reason why the WiFi-only versions couldn't have been available now.

Stop

Not unless it has flash

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

I won't even consider it if it doesn't have it.

Anonymous Coward

Personally...

...I'm glad it doesn't have Flash.All the current implementations have security flaws, gobble up cpu cycles (bye bye battery life) and Flash just isn't required to view video over the web.

And Flash based web sites? Immediately marks the company (and designer) as decidely 3rd rate. If their judgement is so awful that they think a Flash web site is "cool" then I sure as hell ain't trusting them with my business.

WTF?

Giant iPhone == possible problems

I'm looking at early photos of Steve Jobs holding the iPad delicately by its edges and thinking: If you're supposed to carry this around the house, *how*?? The Kindle and friends may look ugly to Apple designers, but at least they have obvious places you can grab on to them. If this is supposed to replace the newspaper, how's it going to handle getting cereal and orange juice spilled on it at the breakfast table? Or being shoved into a briefcase, since you can't fold it up to protect the screen? If your kids are supposed to use this, how many times will it survive being dropped on the floor?

Silver badge
FAIL

Well...

On the face of it, this might be quite a good idea.... but.

How much will it cost? It'd have to be cheap for me to even look at it.

How locked down will it be? Very I suspect. After all its an Apple.

Will ebooks be encumbered with DRM? Of course, God forbid I might like to have control over my own purchases.

Don't imagine I'll be buying one of these. The price rumours are between US$500 and US$1,000. That equates to NZ$700 to NZ$1,400 or so. That would make it between 2x and 4x more than I'll pay.

Unhappy

ahh there it is

Bah and bah again. The low-end price is eyecatching but Apple really have to knock it off with the Ryanair way they charge for "extras" on their products like a useful amount of memory, storage or best of all... a connection that allows you to actually use the damn thing. Thrice I bah at thee.

Anonymous Coward

WTF?

Low end price? FFS, you are a banker and I claim my five pounds.

FAIL

And only 64 Gb?

That seems a little low, I would have thought that would have been the entry level!

Pint

Cool!

"gesture-based interface elements" Cooooool.....Does that mean I can give my computerspaz the finger and it'll minimise the currently focused window. Does it work like that?

FAIL

Hmm lets see.

No camera, thats for version 2, then video camera and wide screen for version 3!

No flash? check

No multitasking? check

Tied in to the app store? check, watch out macbook owners, you are next!

will i probably buy one anyways? check

Thumb Up

"Run iPhone software virtually unmodified"

So you have to jailbreak it, then? :-)

Silver badge

WFIW

web page here

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Wake me up when it is over

God that's a dull product. The Duplo version of the iPhone with added "not really needed" factor.

Still, hopefully it won't take off so I don't have to put up with plenty of tards telling me my preferred choice of device (which won't be an ipad funnily enough) should be replaced with one.

Anonymous Coward

Oh goody.

OMGOMGOMG.. Oh wait, umm, it looks just like a big iPhone...

Can't wait for all the Dom Joly jokes.

HELLO, YES, I'M A POSING TWAT WITH TOO MUCH MONEY.

YES, IT'S A GLORIFIED EBOOK READER.

All that hype for so little substance.

FAIL

Very disappointing

The price is great, it's fantastic engineering... but what would I want one for?

And the kids will soon break it.

FAIL

Price?

The price blows. Seriously. Why limit yourself to such a small cross section of functionality on an akward device when you could just buy a netbook or a really nice laptop? Apple are going to land on their face with this one.

Fail. Because FAIL!

Silver badge
Coat

At 9.7 inches . . .

. . . the iPad is good for those heavy flow days! Mine's the one with the string attached (yes, strings are on tampons, I know).

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

First to post a comment...

Yeah right.

They already have a commercial on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18

Silver badge
FAIL

Oops

This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.

They sure didn't waste a minute...

Jobs Horns

you tube vid

removed due to terms of use violation.

my 2p, looks like a solution to a problem i didnt know existed. Like my other iProds, this looks blaaahmeh

(typed on my pocket sized EeePc)

Anonymous Coward

Better than a netbook?

So, this is a device to compete with the netbook that will have none of the flexibility of the netbook (essentially the ability to run any desktop software you want, barring games)? Count me out. A restricted app store requiring a blessing from apple for each and every update is bad enough on the iphone.

Silver badge

How many bedrooms?

Does the 32G version have one bedroom and the 64G two?

http://www.yournewhome.co.uk/Barratt-iPad-homes_2

http://www.barratthomes.co.uk/About-Us/Testimonials/Joanne-Milne/

M.

Joke

World continues to revolve around sun

But every fanboy knows where the sun shines from.

O
FAIL

Awful.

Judging by the posts on Engadget and Gizmodo (the favourite hang outs for Jobsian disciples), even the iSheep are baulking at this.

Expensive.

No multi-tasking (seriously?!?!?!?).

No support for Flash. At all.

No camera.

Ordinary battery life.

PA developed ARM SoC which looks like it'll end up slower than TI, Qualcomm, Samsung and particularly Marvell chips.

Why on earth would anyone want an enormous, heavy and expensive iPhone?

If you want a limited tablet without a fully-fledged O/S, Chrome O/S tablets will be far more capable, open, less bloated and cheaper.

Anonymous Coward

Thanks

As with everything they seem to release, the first thing to look for is what blindingly obvious thing which most manufacturers don't bother putting on the specs, have been left off the device instead.

Like does it do Copy and Paste?

People will still buy it - maybe it'll put off the hardened fanbois, but there's still enough people who will buy it simply because it's there and the BBC have told them to.

Re: Awful

"even the iSheep are baulking at this"

They're not sheep then, are they? Duh!

I have a few Apple products and I love my MBP. Watched the iPad video - I'm not impressed. I can't see it making my shopping list any time soon.

Correction

I think you meant to say:

Why on earth would anyone want an enormous, heavy and expensive iPhone that won't make a phone call?

Why?

So is it:

a) An IPhone with no phone or

b) A laptop with no keyboard or

c) A table with no handwriting capability (at least as far as I can see)

I suppose the 10 hour battery is interesting but my portable DVD player does 14 hours.

iPhone application scaling strikes me as a disasater - its got to have some hardware scaling mechanism or quite frankley an app or game is going to look really blocky at that resolution. Facebook on that screen really should have been the web style version not the iPhone incarnation.

I guess I just dont get it. I have an iPhone for use as a mobile device (phone/PDA/games/web) and a small laptop for use as a moble computing platform (work/remote network access/games/web). Between the two of them I can talk, play physical shiney media, write hand written notes (never underestimate this!), and a few other things that the iPad can't do.

Remind me of why I need one other than St. Steve says I need one?

This post has been deleted by its author

FAIL

It says a lot

when iTampon is trending on Twitter but iPad isn't. Heck, even Kindle is trending. Something tells me this is a FAIL already.

FAIL

Massively Disappointing

I was hoping for it to have a version of OSX on it, rather than a scaled up iPhone/iTouch OS.

If it had a version of OSX, had multitasking and could run most OSX software like iLife, then i would say its a nigh on essential and properly groundbreaking product.

But it doesnt have any of it, it isnt essential and bearing in mind the iPhone/iTouch has been out since 2007 with essentially the same features, its not even groubreaking. When realeased in the UK, the 3G model needs to be sub-£300 for me to even glimmer some interest.

Sorry Mr Jobs, i like your phones, laptops and desktops but your iPad... try again please.

WTF?

Meh, Meh, and thrice Meh

Big iPhone, no multitasking, no Flash support, backlit screen for reading ebooks (have Apple not heard how horrible an experience that is?), no proper OS.

I say once more: Meh!

Flame

LOL!

"Pricing begins at $499 - that'll get you a non-3G iPad with 16GB of storage"

Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (rolling on the floor)

$500 for that piece of... so I can enjoy the pleasure to buy crap from virtual apple sponsored stores???? not even multitasking... !!!!!

Come on do not make me laugh.

Oh wait this was about saving the printed press...

Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (rolling on the floor)

Who's going to be the idiot buying one???? $500!!!!

WTF?

Hmmmm

When everyone is wanting everything smaller, apple give us an oversized iPod Touch!

Coffee/keyboard

seriously?

First female comment I heard: Does it have wings?

Joke

No but....

You can take it roller-blading, sky diving or even white-water-rafting and feel confident all day! Maybe that explains why the invites to the 'ceremony' had splodges of liquid all over them?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018