back to article Entire UK will be on ID database sometime in next 3 millennia

Applications to join the ID card register are running at 50 a day, meaning the Labour government will achieve its aim of chipping the entire population of these islands in somewhere between 136 and 3,342 years. Or never, if the Tories live up to their promises and kill the scheme should they get into power. In a series of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
    Big Brother

The back door

While we are all laughing at the failure of the national ID cards scheme, few people have heard about the next front of attack: The NHS RiO database.

This is a database that was on trial in London, putting all GP and hospital records on one central system, but it is now being rolled out across the country. It is due to go live in the Hampshire trust next week.

Big Brother isn't daft when it comes to this sort of thing. There are centralised citizen databases coming in all sorts of different guises, and the winner will be extended to cover everything.

2. David Ramsay

All UK on database

Doubt it All UK -1 (Me)

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Renewing a passport overseas

As a UK permanent resident in Aus it seems I will now have to visit the "local" office that issues replacement passports. I have renewed my passport once by post here and it took a mere five working days including postal delivery time, a feat that is mightily impressive by any standards.

If in the future I have to physically attend the office it would be a serious arse ache. I just checked the distance and a round trip to the High Commission is only 4794.43 kms and takes a mere 59.18 hours of continuous driving. This has more than a whiff of fail about it.

4. Graham Wilson
    Joke

Good on ya Pommy Bastards!

Good on ya Pommy Bastards! This Kangaroo even offers ya his cheers.

Really didn't reckoned ya had the balls to do it!

... For that ya even deserves to win The Ashes (just once mind ya)!

Down Under, we's intelligensha is intensely a watchin' Democracy's foot kinda poised un hoverin', very stressful like, next tuh a bright shiny new bucket. We's 'ad odds on 6 to 1 things would go a flyin' any minute, now ya buggers been a forcin' us tuh lengthen thems odds just a smidgin.

For wunce, we's dont mind yuh Pommies for havin' f%$#@!~ up our bettin.

BTW, keeps up the pressure on thems Westminster mongrels or our luv mightn't last.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeh, I don't see why...

...whatever gov is in place couldn't just make it essential for all new borns to have an ID card registered in their name, "You want tax credits/child benefits/your child to be recognised by our country/schools/doctors? They'll need an ID card for that"

And no doubt these things will expire just like passports and driving licences, they'll almost certainly go up in price as the "pilot" scam reveals it to be economically unsound at that low, low price. Of course, realistically, we should all be jumping over each other to hand our cash to them, you've all read the headlines (admittedly not all ID card based), "...set to make the government £xxx million pounds a year" sheesh, I'm so happy for them and I can sleep well at night once again.

Maybe I could poll my fellow Brits to "gift" me 1 British penny each a year, come on everyone, just imagine "....set to make me £610,000 a year" and I bet the government would be just as happy and willing about that as I am to be giving them my dosh.

Oh balls!

6. Sceptical Bastard

@ Graham Wilson

Respec' to that man! An excellent stream of invective. Rant on, man, rant on.

7. Rod MacLean
    Stop

"Hillier added that as of 2012 the government will require people applying for a passport or ID card to submit ten fingerprints for recording in the National ID database."

I perdict a massive amount of applications in 2011 then (and I'll be one of them!)

Hopefully the Tories will scrap the scheme long before then (at last, a Tory policy I agree with!)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.