back to article Firefox 3.6: I am more than my Monkey

The last time Mozilla released a new incarnation of its open-source Firefox browser, the main concern was the JavaScript engine. This time around, the open-sourcers have far more on the brain. Due as early as next week, Firefox 3.6 hardly ignores JavaScript performance. Mozilla claims a full 20 per cent boost on the SunSpider …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Downloading

Get the "downThemAll!" plugin

Badgers

Caching where?

The Firefox "Awesome Bar" - a means of quickly returning to websites you've visited in the past - now caches content, so it no longer reads to disk every time you touch it.

------------------

Which is all very well, except I assume it's going to be cached in MEMORY. FF still consumes ridiculous amounts of memory, so yet another thing stored there for a few milliseconds gain in response time for looking up previously-browsed pages isn't really a huge priority from my perspective. More efficient memory management would be, but not a breath of a discussion on that in this article.

@heyrick, @Trixr, @Bob Gateaux

agree with 1, 6 & 7 very much. Regarding 2, FF does this. tools:options:privacy and under the 'keep until' dropdown, select 'ask me every time' (provided you've picked 'firefox will: use customsettings for history' first). Should be what you want. 3 & 5 are typically dealt with using blocklists (some addon will do this, use squid myself so don't know). Yu ask for more flxibility that usual (damn this keyboard!) but that's rarely needed; you tend to block everything from a given domain, not selectively. 4 isn't fair - that's the job of an addon.

@Trixr: teh OS will cache read files anyway so if FFjust adds caching that's redundant. If it's any faster then they will almost certainly have done something else. The bookmarks/history/etc db is pretty small anyway.

@Bob Gateaux: stop yer trolling

What I don't like about FF (well, one gripe) is the lack of docs. There's a lot of functionality that I can't use e.g most people will know that if you type the forward slash / the you get a quick find box, but if you type the apostrophe you get the same but restricted to URLs - try it. There about:config stuff & loads more - just write it down somewhere, developers! It's too good to waste.

FAIL

Bugger

Just found out that some upgrade in the last month or so has wiped my cookie whitelist and reset the settings to allow all/allow 3rd party.

Grr.

Thumb Up

Firefox is the best

A true leader.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018