back to article Parcelforce fails to deliver for Windows 7 lovers

The Royal Mail's Parcelforce website is upsetting some Windows 7 fans, because the service doesn't support Microsoft's latest operating system. One customer told us that the site refuses to let him proceed with a payment on Parcelforce.com because Windows 7 "failed to meet the necessary requirements for completing a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why should they prioritise a minority OS?

>""This is a massive disappointment to the huge number of people who might want to use Parcelforce's website (and let's face it... I'm not grumbling about some unheard of operating system... this is W7 being refuted by a nation's Post Office!)" said Reg reader Frank."

No, Frank, it isn't a massive disappointment to "the huge number of people who might want to use Parcelforce's website", only to that tiny percentage of them who use Win7. The other 96% couldn't give a toss.

And since Win7 market share is still scraping along the bottom there down with OSX and Linux, I can easily imagine it's just not important to parcelforce to support every new OS the very minute it comes out but wait until it has a significant user base.

Sucks to be a gullible fool with more money than sense^W^W^W^W^W^W^Wearly adopter, I guess.

2. Muth

I tipped off El Reg about this issue...

I'd just like to say to all the people talking about browser identification that you're not reading the article properly. It's the OS identification that's on trial here, not any browser... please read the article more carefully...

You will get refused the ability to send a parcel on *any* browser under Windows 7...

Pro/Ultimate users with XP emulation might suceed, as might those who dual boot with XP, but you guys (or girls!) are in the monority - fact is that using Windows 7 you *cannot*send* your parcels using Parcelforces online site!

1) Visit... http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw

2) Click 'Send your Parcel now'

3) Choose 'Pay by Credit Card' and tick to accept T&C's, then press 'continue'

4) You may have to wait a while whilst the next page loads... but when it does, you'll see something like the Screengrab jpg which is featured in El Reg's news article...

http://i47.tinypic.com/24o8v14.png

1. Annihilator

and...

OK, so "what is your point caller?"

I don't get how this is anyone elses fault but ParcelForce's (or whoever designed their payment engine). Windows 7 is *NOT* the problem here. It's whoever decided to check the OS in the user-agent string. For all they could know, I'm running IE8 on any platform I (feasibly) like.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Ha Ha.

"You will get refused the ability to send a parcel on *any* browser under Windows 7..."

Good. It is right that Microsoft people are consumed by the traps they laid for GNU/Linux users. Right now, no version of IE commands more than 20% of the market. Mozilla and other standards based browsers command more than 40% of the market, even in retar^H^H rich places typically surveyed. Reasonable web site designers would use this as an opportunity to start coding to real standards instead of Microsoft's broken browsers and OS. That would allow Microsoft addicts the ability to do whatever Microsoft allows their users to do, which is not a whole lot. For years Microsoft managed to corrupt the internet with their phoney standards, it's time for that to end. Vista and Windows 7 are not "unheard" of but hardly anyone can bear to use them, so the web will not bend to Microsoft's will no matter how much money the company wastes on advertising.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. David Goadby

Royal Mail Website

I purchase stamps online and one part of the process is to get the address using the postcode search etc. For my address, which has no house number or street the address, the address checker fills in the form ok. But, when I come to purchase the postage to print the label, it rejects it as invalid.

The stupid system rejects an address that IT generated - how daft is that?

I have lost count of the number of times I have emailed this problem in and never a replay and it is still not fixed.

The workaround is to type a single character (I use a space) into the street address.

5. Arctic fox

Sorry, busy...

....I am reinstalling Win2K Pro and IE6. Got to don't ya know - won't be able to send the prezzies via PF if I don't.

6. Moss Icely Spaceport
    FAIL

May the Parcel Force be against you

..and you, and you, and you...

7. PirateSlayer
    Flame

Surprise, surprise.

Another cock up by a government subsidised indisustry whose manager in chief earned nearly 1 million pounds last year (and that was just his basic salary).

The Post Office never fails to act like an incompetent, useless, public sector department. That disgusting Adam Crozier creature should resign immediately (with a fat pay off of course).

8. PirateSlayer
    Megaphone

People are also forgetting...

...that PF is a business...surely they exist to make money...so surely the want to maximise revenue from all computer users. This would mean keeping their systems up to date.

Oh! But I forgot. The only thing Royal Mail is interested in is sacking postmen (who get paid an utter pittence), closing post offices and blaming its own customers for its failure to identify new business opportunities outside paper spam and flogging post codes!

I hate that company. More than Ryanair.

9. Steve Graham
    Paris Hilton

I use DR-DOS

Incidentally, the eBay/PayPal service for printing your postage labels obviously uses the Royal Mail and Parcelfarce system, but it doesn't care what operating system you use.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like