back to article Gumtree comes over all queer in blocking 'offensive language'

Online small adster Gumtree appears to be a bit squeamish about ads containing words such as "queer". In the week that New Labour set out to advance the cause of equality in the UK with a dubious Equality Bill removing a number of existing rights from gay and religious groups, Gumtree demonstrated its solidarity with the cause …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mr Mrr
    IT Angle

Vote for the Camel Balls here

AC, Monday 7th December 2009 10:21,

"If someone said "come meet my queer friends" I'd of thought they were talking about weird friends, much as whenever says anything about faggots I think they're talking about bundles of wood.

It takes a moment for it to process that they mean homosexual/gay/lesbian" -

This is a horrible case of sabotage against the language, and it's deployed in many countries. For example, in Russia, as appears, "a homosexual" translates in slang as "a blue one". Some people complain that since the slang meaning appeared (leaked from the special use some 20 yrs ago) in the lexicon, they answer "the sky is OK" if anyone asks smb to look out of the window and see what's the sky.

Also, yet less Russians give their male children a name "Sergei" (someone here would possibly fall down the floor laughing, drop me a line if so) as it sounds in English as "Sir Gay", for they make no difference between the soundings of "a" and "e". As reported, each time when the name is called, people immediately start imagining Elton John.

So why won't we try to stop the terror on innocent names and words, I mean, the English-speaking community could probably definitely change using the word "gay" for, let's say, "bill".

"Hey, waiter! Bring me the... err... ok, just open the gates".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Meanwhile back in the real world

where large numbers of people are just trying to scrape a few things together to stay alive the last thing they are worrying about is bl***dy words. Only the first , self centred world do moronic conversations like this happen. You are offended get over it just be damned grateful you were born here and not in some parts of the world.

AC cause you'll all want a pop at me. I bet this gets canned.

3. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

@AC 00:13

When I was in the UK, I recall a lot of people liked fags, and couldn't wait to suck on one. Personally, I think they are disgusting, are dangerous to your health and leave stains. They should definitely be banned.

Umm... this is the anti-smoking thread, right?

Mine's the one with the English <-> American dictionary in the pocket.

4. Rachel 4

Pedantry

"shorthand for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual"

Or even Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender ...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.