back to article LHC knocked out by ANOTHER power failure

The Large Hadron Collider - most puissant particle-punisher ever assembled by the human race - has suffered another major power failure, knocking not only the atomsmasher itself but even its associated websites offline. The machine remains unserviceable at present. However its crucial cryogenics seem to have been unaffected, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pirate

@ 'Rolled on the thighs of Virgin Geeks'

It's a ref to an old marketing ploy for some of the better/most expensive Cuban Cigars from the '20's -'60's. Yes boys and girls, sex sells.

Silver badge

When Particle Physicists Party, the Cosmic Radiation is Free

"Lets say...it has 10000 times the number of components of a car. That might be about right, but probably an underestimate. They are almost all custom made, so being tried and tested for the first time. Many also have to withstand temps nr absolute zero, which cars only have to endure when on the A1 near Newcastle.

Of course, there is also the software to consider - mostly custom made and untested." ..... James Hughes 1 Posted Wednesday 2nd December 2009 14:14 GMT

And they're smashing nuclear sized particles at each other at practically twice the power of light speed just to what happens and opens/explodes and disappears, and think its a good idea in order to imagine what a Big Bang and Evolving Thinkers Created with Natural Assets and Global Resources over Time is Space and in Control of Words Instructing Imagination and Mentoring Resolve. What is there to possibly go wrong? :-)

The Secrets of the Past are always Revealed in the Future and how you Create the Future is surely the same as how the Past was Created Before* [which is a lot simpler to imagine than thinking about, .... In the Beginning, there was nothing and then .......... Magic Order and Tales to Tell and Follow for Historical Record of Recent Memories/Personal Tales Told as News forming Views for Support and Reality....... and you would not believe the number of businesses milking that particular and peculiar cow for its cream stream.

* The Present is a Myth for it never exists, being always fated to be Immediately Past for the Future to appear with its Gifts of Shared Noble Thoughts .... Alien Memes to Competitive Destructive Human Beings and Ignorant Business Machines

did you notice the hour it occured?

0 1 2 3 = 01H23 jpr computer bug ?

FAIL

51 comments and I get to a page with only 1

What is this paging of comments all about? Having read the article, I clicked on the comments link and get taken to page 2 containing a reply to a comment I haven't read.

Dumb, stupid, pointless, idiotic and a complete waste of time.

We have to scroll anyway when there are more than just a couple of comments, so just leave them all on one page.

Who came up with the daft idea of linking to the last page of the comments anyway?

Badgers

Reddit

Rather than spend time making a comment system that allows replies but doesn't use a tree view to group them, why not use an existing good one e.g. reddit.

Admittedly it doesn't have the post icons though...

Use Porcelain Insulators

Moulded insulators have verticle seams that can get contaminated and form a path of reduced surface insulation strength. Once a path of reduced surface insulation strength is formed, even a slight peak in line voltage can begin short arcs that can elongate along a moulded seam. (Little arcs form ozone, which is a gas that provides a medium to conduct relativly high voltage.) The short arcs growing longer furnish a path that can result in flashover, which burns the surface just as is shown in the picture associated with this article.

Unhappy

and virgin media are off the air too

I know which i care about more

Paris Hilton

Voltage always gets a bad rap

"...colourful speculation is to be anticipated." Such prescience . Too bad that it can't be turned to predicting the next cock-up.

And, give current its due. Without current, those 18kVs wouldn't pose as much threat as a well-rubbed kitten in a dry house.

And Paris, because she's an expert on cock-ups.

Alien

Who is responsible...

I am surprised that the obvious escapes so many... Dr.Who is surely saving earth and fooling with

power couplings is the safest way.. not wanting to injure any humans you know...

Unhappy

Wots the fuss about?

The power cable supplying the LHC failed.

Our power supply fails occasionally, but it doesn't get into the international news.

Do seem to enjoy the problems of the LHC even when they are beyond its control.

Gold badge
Joke

Who was it?

Who forgot to put 50p in the meter then?

Silver badge

It is an Excluding Mistake to Not Imagine that Cyber Security is ...... at least, Unusual*.

""We ourselves find it hard not to suspect the involvement of some pan-dimensional police force, seeking to prevent humanity acquiring parallel-universe portal capability before we're ready to use it responsibly." Most of mankind isn't capable of using a baguette responsibly" .... Anonymous Coward Posted Wednesday 2nd December 2009 11:36 GMT

That had me tittering at the absurd spread of capability available to Intelligence for Use and Abuse, AC. :-)

As for "before we're ready to use it responsibly" you might like to add ... "and control it absolutely to market it exclusively for crazy fortunes as Sole AIgent." Don't be holding your breath on that progression knocking down your door though, unless you Really have Virtual Talents and Talons to Offer, in always doing things Right and Proper Fit for Future Purpose rather than Deferring and Demurring to Present Comfortably XSSive Supply Convenience to Maintain the Status Quo Establishment of a Moribund Progress and Suppressive State Architecture ....... SurVeiled InfraStructure/Spooked Nation.

And re .... "If I remember my Harry Harrison correctly..." ... Kevin Reader Posted Wednesday 2nd December 2009 16:51 GMT .... If Fact follow Fiction in a Real Live Parallel, What and Who are then in Control of the Future? And how many of them are there, and where do they Hang Out and Chill and Plan Impossible Viral Surprises and Crashing Digital Delights .... Operating Systems Meltdown by Domino Cascade because of Fundamental Failure of Imitation and Reconstituted Key Foundation Stones.

Renegades and Rogues doing their Pirate Best in Seas of Mass Mediocrity and Zero Integrity ....... for a Turkey Shoot in Favour and Furtherance of Enterprising Buccaneers.

*Irregular and Unconventional.

Boffin

No need to consider time-travellers protecting their past

Just consider the many-worlds hypothesis.

On any timeline where LHC *works*, earth is instantly destroyed. So we're only here to ponder the question "What the f happened this time?" if something has indeed gone wrong. Again. And again. And again.

Boffin

My Goodness!

"I never thought I'd see a Resonance Cascade, let alone create one!"

Big Brother

Luis Sancho come back all is forgiven

Where is our only hope when you need him.

http://www.unificationtheory.com/God.html

Its Pyramid selling big time but Luis is the man to do it and stop Cern in its tracks.

OK he failed first time around but him and Walter Sanchez at least tried to stop Cern from

turning the world to "A Grey Aldi Xmas Gooey paste"

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/26/1457536.aspx

Luis get a hair job and go on the X-Factor or even Cern-needs-Talent

Spread the word - Cern is going down!

Stop

PERSPECTIVES...

I see some 'Ad hominem fans' missing my comments (-;. Well for a change i will add some quotes from more relevant people:

The Human-perspective:

‘We are a thin layer of mush on a rock speck

in a corner of the Universe. Now, departing

from those facts, we can talk about man.’

Schopenhauer, father of modern Philosophy.

‘I am Kali, God of death’

Oppenheimer, father of The Atomic Bomb

'And nothing can we call our own but death

and that small model of the barren Earth,

which serves as paste and cover to our bones...'

Shakespeare, father of modern Literature

‘From a legal perspective the Large Hadron Collider is the biggest genocide in human history.

With a mere probability of 10% of risk, an unlikely case, which is the original estimate of the company,

it means a genocide of 10% x 6.6 billion=66 million statistical dead

by the mere fact of having the LHC running’

Mark Leggett, expert risk.

The Theoretical Perspective:

'In the 1920s, Bose and Einstein predicted a dense state of matter in which many particles at very low temperatures share the same spatial location, a prediction which was verified experimentally in the 1990s. The simplest mathematical model of such a Bose–Einstein condensate uses a non-linear interaction between the many particles in the condensate. The non-linearity poses a great challenge to both physicists and mathematicians, leading often to unpredictable behavior. For example, strong attractive interaction among quark condensates may lead to collapse, infinite density, and model breakdown, the properties expected in the classic treatment of black holes.'

Wikipedia, Quark Condensates.

The Industrial /Ethic/Political Perspective:

'This case is of concern to all the people of America, not only to physicists. It should be addressed by the Congress'

Hellen Gillmor 'Sancho et Al vs. CERN'

‘Technological civilization is programmed by the principle that something ought to be done because it is technologically possible. If it is possible to build nuclear weapons, they must be built, even If they might destroy us all. Once this principle is accepted, humanist Values (something has to be done because it is needed by man) are Dethroned and technological development becomes the foundation of ethics'.

Eric Fromm, father of political psychology

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018