back to article 'Alienated' gamer sues WoW for ruining life

An obsessive World of Warcraft player is suing the makers of the game for ruining his life, quoth a gleeful Grauniad this week. Erik Estavillo is seeking $1m (£600,000) in damages, claiming the orc-tastic roleplaying game has turned him into a blank-eyed basketcase who can no longer function in the real world (as the lawsuit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom Paine
    Boffin

Getting "the Scarab of Lethusia"?

You can now get a little tube of ointment from your chemist that'll clear that up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

One thing:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/06/16/

...ok, two things: First, if you're waiting for "the sweet enveloping arms of oblivion", you might want to be careful - Oblivion is a hell of a lot better than Warcraft, single-player though it may be.

Second, what the hell is wrong with these posters? Anyone can file a suit for any particular reason. The fact that the craziest guy out of TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILLION FREAKING PEOPLE did this doesn't prove that we're litigious any more than a drive-by proves that we're all gun-slinging drug dealers.

Seriously, people - get a grip. The whole point of the legal system in tort cases is to DETERMINE WHETHER THERE ARE DAMAGES. You're asserting that you shouldn't be allowed to file a suit unless you can win? And how, exactly, do you expect that decision to be made, geniuses? Maybe we could come up with some kind of official arbitration procedure....

3. Oninoshiko
    Stop

Re: What lawyer, et. al.

who said he has a lawyer?

There is no rule in the US that says you have to be a lawyer to file a suit. He vary-well may have filed this himself, and will be representing himself. Generally it's not done, because most people are smart enough to realise they are not experts in the law (even most lawyers hire lawyers rather then represent themselves, because it gives a set of impartal eyes), but this doesn't sound like of the lawyers I know...

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    FAIL

Money, money, money!

Sounds to me like some lawyer types got a whiff that Blizzard has shitloads of spondoolics and fancy some of it, if this twat wins. We all know this will be laughed out of court on the first day!

5. Lord Lien
    Paris Hilton

This story is epic fail....

Until the defendant links his CAMPION OF THE FROZEN WASTES title, Epic achievement, /played & guild DKP, if he is in a crap one that still uses DKP.

Paris, because even she knows that WoW tiles let noobs know how much of your life you have wasted in the game

6. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    FAIL

Erik Estavillo

Erik Estavillo is a pretty cool guy, eh sue and sue and doesn't afraid of anything.

Oh, btw Erik.. I can haz ur WoW a/c then? LOLS... j/k...

Ur probably alliance crybaby, an I hav no uses for Ally toonz.

7. Richard Scratcher
    Coat

That gives me an idea

I'm going to sue Railtrack for its part in turning me into a trainspotter. My life has been ruined by years of hanging around station platforms jotting down numbers of locomotives and rolling stock......mmmmm......rolling stock.

Railtrack has known of this damaging side effect of its transport system for many years yet it has done almost nothing to help.

I'll get me anorak.

8. fords
    Grenade

What a numpty

I actually want this to go to court, so I can (hopefully) laugh at the verdict of EPIC FAIL.

Apparently his lawsuit against Sony chucking him off their forums was because they were violating his First Amendment rights, to which Sony replied "we're not part of the government". I have no sympathy for the guy. Nobody forced him to play WoW and although the game is very addictive, Blizzard do remind us to take a break every so often and visit our friends outside of Azeroth every now and again on the loading screen. If you choose to ignore that advice then that's your problem.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would like to sue all women.

Boobies are distracting. Having them is invading my right to not be dist... what was I saying?

10. Taters
    Flame

Ugh

I'm embarrassed to live in this country anymore!

11. Lupus
    Joke

I wonder...

I wonder is he's "Insane In The Membrane"?

12. Psmiffy

World of WTF???

I immediately knew this was a Sarah Bee article, she being the only person in this establishment to use "quoth" ...

and secondly he should either sue his parents or himself, for being such a total moron, he might even win against himself.

Oh well can't he just remove himself from the game of life instead and save us all the embarrasment of having to share air with him?

13. Psmiffy
    Badgers

and as for these comments

Oh yes and aren't you supposed to WARN us before launching a new format of comments? What if we don't like them? What if they cause us irrepairable damage? Can we sue?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take a deep breath people

As stated earlier, you can file a lawsuit for anything. It doesn't mean it will get past a judge's first glance. There is no, "you must be this tall/smart/correct" ruling for filing a lawsuit.

I could file a lawsuit against someone across my street for "walking too loudly". It will get thrown out immediately, but I could still file it.

15. Hugh Jorgen
    Paris Hilton

This gives me a cunning plan....

I've got this serious additction to t'internet pr0n, and I might have to start suing the pr0n industry for RSI, carpal tunnel and an arm that makes Arnie's look like a twiglet.

However... I might be prepared to settle out of court for a rasp on a few pr0n starlets who go for that wild monkey sex I've seen while typing this message.

Paris.....back in 5...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Hugh Jorgen

Or as the Governator might say 'just a bit of haaaaarmless fun'

Posted AC for obvious reasons.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.