back to article US to export riot-roasting raygun

The United States is to export its crowd-grilling "less lethal" microwave cannon, the Silent Guardian - which has never been deployed by US forces due to worries over bad publicity - to an unnamed foreign ally. Aviation Week reports today that executives from American arms megacorp Raytheon, makers of the famous yet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Grenade

One day...

... there will be fewer bleeding-hearts in the world and a slightly higher clue factor. But that day is (apparently) not today.

FACT: It is physiologically impossible to temporarily disable a person without the risk of permanent damage. Even a humble water cannon or smoke bomb can potentially kill someone who already has a heart condition. At some point, rioters have to take the consequences of their actions!

FACT: Any government which tries hard enough (that excludes NONE so far) will eventually get hold of the weapons it wants. This has been the case throughout recorded history. Why act all surprised? Get a grip.

Grenade because it's cool.

2. Charles Manning
    Boffin

Faraday cage

The general principle for shielding is that any hole should not be more than one tenth of the wavelength. ie in ths case of 94GHz, approx 0.3mm

Sounds like just using straight tinfoil might work better and keep the juices in nicely, , but that will tear easier. Perhaps a space blanket or similar would be a better option.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Eyes and how it works on adrenaline-high people?

A fleeting use in the mob wouldn't necessarily cause blindness but as a torture device I can imagine it would hapen a lot more often.

But even in the mob, with the whole adrenalin upped, who will notice that it's warm? I had situations in my youth where because of adrenalin I couldn't feel pain. This means that there could situations where the people are getting the full load without even noticing. They'll notice just at some point that they can't see anymore :(. And having more heat-pain without being incapacitated would only anger them more making them more aggressive.

But it may just be that everybody starts wearing a burka ;) with meshes of metal - or keeping it in a pocket. So it won't work on women then in the more radical Islamic countries.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like